My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Old Time Music..

One of the few things I like about aol is the aol radio. I don't know if anyone uses it but since I have to have it on in order NOT to get that stupid Timer that logs you off, I started listening to it somewhat. (not alot.. i keep the sound down and minimized mostly) But since it has sooooo many stations of different music it did make me wonder...

What is it that attracts someone to certain types of music??

I can understand that upbeat music will help get someone in a better feeling, and that some slow music can make a person melancholy... but what attracts someone to a certain style of music? Why do some love Opera so? Or love Rap? Or Country music or even Old time music?

I tend to lean toward Country Music, but I also love to hear the old time big bands and their singers. Don't ask me why! Lord knows, I don't know why! I also have a fondness for Reggae music.

I discovered this channel on the aol radio with music from the 40's ... ok I know I'm ancient, but I would have been too young to get hooked on this music, but something about it makes me listen. The bad side is... well.. when i know the words to one of the songs! agggggggggggggggggg~ when did I get this old????

Some of the old songs have managed to span every decade and even today some can sing the words to songs like Louis Armstrongs What a Wonderful World. But of course 1968 isn't the 40's.. but it is an example of how some of the old music manages to be there for more then one generation.

More then likely, the reason I am drawn to big band music and their singers, is because some of them made it past the 40's and into the 50's and even the 60's, like Doris Day, and some guy named Frank Sinatra. Then there was one more.. his voice captured me even more then Sinatra's did.. his name was Dick Haymes.

(from IMDb) Dick Haymes was born in Argentina to a Scots/Irish father and Irish mother, Dick inherited his vocal gift from his mother who made ends meet during the Depression as a singer and voice teacher. A music gig in 1931 caught the eye of a local band leader and soon Dick was moving up, but it was slow-going. In 1939, while Dick was trying to pitch his song writing talents to band leader Harry James, he ended up his featured vocalist, instead. During the war years Dick hooked up with the Benny Goodman and Tommy Dorsey orchestras before deciding to go solo. Nabbing his own radio program in addition to a Decca recording contract, Twentieth Century Fox soon expressed interest in his musical talents. Among his many film leads were State Fair (1945) opposite Jeanne Crain and Vivian Blaine, Diamond Horseshoe (1945) and The Shocking Miss Pilgrim (1947) both paired with Betty Grable, One Touch of Venus (1948) with Ava Gardner, and All Ashore (1953), a second string version of On the Town (1949), with Mickey Rooney and Ray McDonald as his shore-leave buddies.

Occasionally, State Fair comes on television, and when it does.. it's another of those have to see movies for me. It's not so much the movie as it is a chance to see and hear Dick Haymes sing.


Wow, a thought just came to me... since Dancing With The Stars is a big hit now... maybe they will decide to use the real music that they should be dancing to??? I wonder if the younger generation would watch the show then?? Oh... now that i think of it.. some would... just to see those skimpy outfits! lol.

3 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

I love music, any kind of music, as long as the artist has a great voice. Not only do I listen to the music, but I listen to the words, with my heart. In some cases it doesn't even have to be music in a song, just the artists words. I think they call it accapella. Boyz II Men were known for accapella.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

I grew up hearing the Beatles and Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra and Nancy Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel and Bloodrock. My main rule about music is that it has to have an accessible melody. That eliminates most rap and some jazz, but really, I like a broad range of music. And I love What a Wonderful World.

K.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I've always liked a lot of different kinds of music--a little bit of everything and not too much of anything. I don't listen to music near as much as most people seem to--I can't use it as "background" noise because I get lost in the words. I can't NOT listen to the words. Even if it's music without words, the rhythm catches me up and tells its own story--and I have to listen to it. So, when I put music on, it's only when I'm ready, and able, and willing, to dedicate myself to it completely. It's great for really long dull car trips and it's great for "therapeutic" dancing and for just letting myself sink into someone else's world.

Chinese flute--and some dijeridoo!--is perfect for meditation though. That helps me sink into MY world and there is nothing more peaceful or relaxing...calming. Chinese flute is great for breathing exercises--focusing on the breath.

Good post, and I like your new pictures!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home