My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Fame..

Recently a few bloggers have either talked about their "5 minutes of fame", Aurelalata of The Other Invisible was on CNN recently, and Karen of Outpost Mavarin spoke a few times of things like writing for Star Log Magazine, so I thought I'd post a moment of fame I had. (don't laugh)

I too was on television once. However, it wasn't here in America, the spot was for a show in England, and it was about... ummm.. well... "Star Polishers", heh.

Yep, people over there had heard that there were some "nuts" that actually took their time and efforts to polish stars in Hollywood. One of them would be me. This occurred about 1992, and for a few years that followed.. naturally, you can figure out I polished the star of my friend DeForest Kelley.

I wasn't alone in the endeavor, however the gal that did this with me is no longer a friend, but it will always remain that we did the star together for many a Sunday morning.

One day when we went to "do" the star, we signed in that we were going to do it and were approached by a woman interviewer that asked if we would mind being filmed by her crew for a short story in England. And so they followed us to DeForests star and did a little filming as we cleaned the star. Then they told us they wanted to talk to us briefly as we "strolled down the stairs of the Galaxy" which is where the star is located.

As in any filming, this was done over and over a half dozen times before they decided they had what they wanted and could edit it all together. We were to get a copy for our efforts, but as things worked out we never did see that copy.

Anyway.. we hit the "news in England".. I'm sure they thought that Americans were pretty weird for polishing stars on Hollywood Blvd.. but, hey.. someone's got to do it! (don't they?? heh)

Over time, many funny things happened while the Star got polished. People would walk up to us and ask to take our photo as we cleaned the star, (I am not a person that likes their picture taken).. one time a limousine pulled up near us with dark windows... the roof opened and up popped an Asian man with a camera and started snapping away!

Then there was the time police officers came by and just stood and watched.. eventually I asked them to take pictures with us as if they were arresting us.. and they did it!! (wish i could find those pics. sigh)

And there were always the "street people".. one in particular i talked of in another post, some time ago. They were all pretty nice and few asked for anything from us. (if you check the old post it would seem that aol lost the photo that was with it!)




Addendum:

A little something I forgot to mention... many times when people seemed to gather around us as we polished the star we'd sing a little parody jingle we made up to the tune of Row Row Row Your Boat... it went like this:

Scrub, scrub, scrub De Star....We do it with such joy!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...buffin' up McCoy!
(heh.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

I either forgot or never knew that people adopted WoF stars to clean. I certainly never know what it's called.

You've brought back my memories of Dean Stockwell's Star ceremony on Leap Day 1992, and many trips to the area between Hollywood Book & Poster and the Hollywood Roosevelt. Thanks.

Karen

3:03 AM  
Blogger JessN said...

That is so cool! I have never been to Hollywood. If I ever go, I will visit De's star, and think of you.

What a great way to be famous!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

LOL, that's coool. You got to find the pictures you took with the cops. I just have to see it.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home