My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Another Scalzi Assignment...

Once again John Scalzi has an assignment. This time he asks for:

Weekend Assignment: Show off a personal possession of yours that you are reasonably certain other people don't have. Note this is limited to possessions: Don't haul up the spouse and go "neener-neener." Pets are also off limits unless it's a truly bizarre pet: We're talking like a hyena or an ocelot or something like that. Otherwise it's best to stick to physical objects. Also, as I've done a similar Photo Shoot in the past: don't recycle. Come on, you've got more than one odd thing in your house.


Ok, I can deal with this one! I would assume that I am not the ONLY person with what I have to show.. but I'm counting on the fact that the journal readers I have don't have them... I think that makes this entry legit!

What I have, that is also personal, are letters from some Celebrities...

The first one is from Red Skelton. I had written to him and told him about a dream I had of him, in the dream I ask him "what makes Red Skelton happy?" but I woke before he gave me an answer. So I wrote it all down and mailed it to him, doubting I would ever get a response, I just wanted him to know how much I thought of him, and the dream was a good excuse to write... below you can read his response to my letter.

LAUGH, AND THE WORLD LAUGHS WITH YOU.. ...if it wasn't his motto, it should have been...

*************************************************************

Next is a shot of a few of the many letters I received from Jonathan Harris. I met Jonathan in California and helped him at numerous Autograph shows. We'd sit and when he wasn't overly busy he'd tell me stories and we laugh and laugh. He was soooooooooooooo theatrical! When I moved to New Jersey we corresponded by mail and occasional phone calls just to check up on each other and to say hello. He had decided to come to NJ to do a show and sent me a note asking if it was close to where I lived so that I might come and sit with him once again. The plans were made, but when I got to the show Jonathan was not there. I talked with others from Lost In Space and they told me Jonathan was rushed to the hospital and wouldn't be coming... Two days later Jonathan died. I never got to be with him and laugh one last time.

He was so much more than "Dr. Zachary Smith" from Lost In Space.. but that role will always be what he was known for.

************************************************************

This last note is one I should frame because Richard Widmark is noted for "no autographs"...

During my time in California, after my friend DeForest received his star on the walk of fame, I would go and clean his star every Sunday. It sounds very "fanish" I know, but I was so darn proud of his Star, I wanted it to stay nice. While there I located Mr. Widmarks Star.. It wasn't far way so I decided to take care of his too. During this time, and even before I moved to California I wrote about once a month to Mr. Widmark. I knew from his Manager that he would not respond, so I carried on a one way conversation lol. I would write and tell him which of his movies came on television and I was able to make a VHS copy for myself, and discuss that particular movie. I did this for ..several years. (yes, years!).. Anyway, one time when I cleaned his star I remembered his birthday was coming up and I asked a friend to take a photo of me cleaning his Star and of some balloons I did for it, and I mailed them with a Birthday Card and my usual letter to Mr. Widmark... You could have knocked me over with a feather when I received the note below in the mail!...

I have always, and still do, love his acting. One of my favorites from when he was young is "Pickup On South Street" Occasionally, it will show up on television, if it does you should watch it.. I promise you will like it !

4 Comments:

Blogger Carly said...

What a wonderful entry. I had a dear friend who collected famous autographs, I used to spend hours with her looking at them and discussing the folks she had in her scrapbook. I enjoy these entries so much Pat, thank you for posting them.

Always, Carly :)

4:30 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Just how cool is this!!!!!
This had me smiling from ear to ear!
WOW!
I so loved Red Skelton!
TJ

8:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hah! I just happen to have the EXACT same letter from Red Skelton. OK, I don't, ha ha.

You have the coolest life experiences.

One ringy dingy....ha ha ha. I will never be able to get that image out of my head.

Chris
My Blog

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to collect autographs myself a few years ago. I wrote Richard Widmark in 2004, and along with the letter, sent an 8x10 black and white photo with a SASE. I got it back a month later, signed by him. After having looked at the handwriting in your letter from him, the signature of my pic is definitely his. I didn't know about his "no autographs" policy. I treasure it now more than ever. Really enjoyed reading about your experiences :)

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home