My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

OMG!

The proverbial chit has hit the fan!! At least where it concerns any Harry Potter Fan.

I'm not sure if it's just hype or if J.K.Rowlings is really such an egotist that she would kill off Harry or one of his friends (Ron & Hermione) just because she's afraid someone will use the character after she dies. This latest "hype" has me wondering what sort of person J.K.Rowlings really is.

I know she had a horrid time trying to sell her first book of Harry Potter. And I know she was all but on skid row before it finally sold. So, I know she had a hard time in her life. But that's all turned around now. She's married to a Doctor and is richer then the Queen herself from her books and movies.

It's one thing to kill off the main character in a series, or someone beloved by all. But for the news (more then one) to indicate that she is doing it so that no one will ever revive one of her characters after she is gone... that puts a bad taste in my mouth.

It almost makes me feel like I am sorry I ever read her books or went to the movies. I've enjoyed them immensely, but here in the end of it all, it's giving me a sour taste in my mouth that J.K. Rowlings could have changed inside so much.

Don't get me wrong.. I'd not be happy myself if someone sold a character I created (if I were an author). But to "kill them off" for YOUR sake and not the sake of the story?!.. no. I totally understand the "strangle hold" we all have on something we created. Not wanting others to steal it or misuse it. But to say those words out loud.. I don't know, maybe it's just me.. but it sure turned me off about how I thought of the author.

Of course it's possible it's just the "news" version of what she said too.. I'm hoping that's it. All along I've admired that she stuck to her guns and kept trying until she sold her story. She's a classic tale of someone down and out who from pure persistent came out on top. Who wouldn't like that story? Who wouldn't have to admire that?

But something inside of me just turned off and tuned out, like a light switch, when I read the article.

Well, I'm gonna kill them off because that means there can be no non-author-written sequels. So it will end with me, and after I'm dead and gone they won't be able to bring back the character'."

Anyone out there a Harry Potter Fan? Have any thoughts on this?...

Hype on the book is one thing.... keep 'em guessing "who's going to die?".... but it's the author now I'm wondering about, how about you?

4 Comments:

Blogger V said...

Really does sound like Hype!
V

7:25 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

I think she is trying to just pad sales on her last book. I hope so, i'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but (shhh...don't tell anyone) I liked the movies.

It would be upsetting to me.

How could someone kill off a legend to be.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Googleflipps said...

Excuse me but doesn't Harry exist in a "magical universe" in that belief-system could not harry's soul transfer to an animal ("Fallen"-like?)or resurrect or...what IF...ad infinitum! besides which...it's IMPOSSIBLE for a "fictional" character to die since they never existed except in OUR imaginations!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

How do you feel about that story now that the book is out? you need to stop assuming crap! the book was awesome

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home