My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Candy Store..

Oh my.. David needed to go to the book store yesterday. (gulp*sweat*hyper ventilate!) There are a few places I try to avoid... the book store is one of them! I know this because I ALWAYS find something to spend money on that I shouldn't be spending! (I'm glad I enjoy the books I have and that I reread them every so often) I even try not to go to book web sites! But at least there I can buy used books at a much lower cost, and I have to say they've always been in excellent condition, so I've never been disappointed.

But...........

Yesterday I was in Barnes and Noble *sigh*. I am sooooooo glad they have many books on sale! Not just 20% off but for 5.99 and 6.99 type things. And what's really nice about that is that they are new hard backs! So, actually I did very well, with the exception of one NEW book that I knew I wanted, it was 20% off but still more than I should spend on a book.

This store is in Clifton, about a 20 minute ride away. It's a big store, two stories in height.

First I hit the sale tables, naturally. And found 3 treasures! One was by one of my favorite authors Margaret Weis. Then another was short stores by a number of authors, 2 of which are on that same favorites list, so that was great. Then I treated myself to a book by an author I don't know, Tom Cross, it's called "the Way With Wizards" and has a lot of artwork in it. I plan to open that one today, since I just finished the book I was reading.

Then I went upstairs where the Fantasy Fiction section of the store is found. In among the books I spotted this young man sitting on the floor reading. I asked if I could take his photo for my journal and he said "sure thing". He was a cute young man, though I might question the pierced lip and nose, heh. He spoke with very good manners as I asked if he liked what he was reading.

A group of books I came across, but didn't buy (knew I had spent more than I should already), by yet another author I didn't know were the ones above. The author is Don K Paul. I looked the books up on line and they seem like books I might enjoy, so they go on the list for the next time! It's hard for me to find new authors that I enjoy, probably because I can't afford to spend and not like it, I can't get to a library, and hardly ever get to stores, so I generally stick to those books by authors I know I like, but still read the backs and scrutinize them before I buy them. I've had my favorite authors go off into other stories which don't interest me.. eventually they find their way back to what made them good in the first place.

Before heading downstairs again I snapped this photo... it really is a big store! The children's section is very large too.. it is under the whole upstairs!

So, these are the winners I came home with! Dragons of Dwarven Depths, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman was the only book that cost a lot. Amber Ashes by Margaret Weis (5.99), The Way of Wizards by Tom Cross(7.99), and Legends II (5.99) by 5 authors, among them Anne McCaffrey and Terry Brooks, both of whom I enjoy. So, now I am set for a while... next month when the SS hits my account I may send for that other trilogy, but I'll search and see if I can find them cheaper on line first.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I always like finding folks that don't fit the "norm" yet have impeccable manners. It messes with peoples' stereotypes.

Chris
My Blog

11:00 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

These big big bookstores are pretty amazing, now! Places to sit and read; places to have coffee, etc. I used to love the smaller speciality bookstore...You certainly can indulge all your book vices in these BIG places though, can't you? Enjoy your treasures.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

You have a knack for making stuff like a trip to the bookstore, interesting. Maybe it's because i love seeing pictures of home. Fallen trees at home, bookstores at home, LOTR conventions at home, etc. Luv it.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home