My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Skull and Crossbones

I've noticed at a few other journals that today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day..

Well then: AVAST YE LUBBERS!

ok.. that's my extent of pirate talk. That being said I thought I would post some photo's and some links or information on Pirates. (or at least Movie Pirates......)

Pirate Movies have been around for a really long time.. The first one I remember seeing (which was made before i was born!) was Treasure Island (1934) . Long John Silver was played by Wallace Beery.

And then there was the not to be easily forgotten "The Black Swan" starring Tyrone Power. I mean, hello?! Not a face easily forgotten!! Oh yeah, and Maurneen O'Hara, gee, I almost forgot the beautiful woman who he falls for huh? Imagine that. (Actually, I love Maureen O'Hara... but com'on, she got Tyrone Power!!)

A more remembered version for me was Treasure Island that was made in 1950 This Long John Silver was my favorite, and played by Robert Newton, who only a year later resumed the role for a television series.

Below is some information I copied off of a website concerning Long John Silver and Robert Newton.....

Long John Silver lived in Bristol, England, supposedly the birthplace of Edward Teach, Blackbeard. In the early 1950s Disney produced films of "Treasure Island" (1950) and "Blackbeard the Pirate"(1952), and the same actor was used to play Silver and Teach - Robert Newton. Newton then reprised his role of Long John Silver for "Long John Silver" (1954) and the TV series "The adventures of Long John Silver (1955).

Robert Newton was born and raised in Dorset, not far from Bristol, so he knew the West Country accent which Silver and Teach would have spoken in very well, and used it in those films. It is a combination of written dialogue featuring West Country people, and the films of Robert Newton and his successors which has coloured our ideas about the way in which pirates spoke.

Some pirates certainly came from the West Country - Henry Avery, Edward Teach, Ned Low and others - and they probably spoke with what we now think of as being a "pirate" accent. But many others came from other parts of Britain, from Wales, Scotland, from the North Country; others came from other countries, from France, Holland, the Carribean and the American colonies. Those pirates would all have had their own accents from their own homes and would not have spoken "loike a poirate, arrr".

Bringing Pirates up to date there's always Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean. (parts one and two and three in the works)

And I'm sorry, but we can't talk about Pirates of the Caribbean without mentioning a certain "Elf" turned Pirate!

(hmmm thinking of LOTR Orlando reminds me a certain Hobbit made it on a sea worthy vessel also!....)

Yeah Perigrin Took!.. ok ok, so he wasn't really a Pirate.. but close enough for honorable mention don'tcha think?

Here is some information on Pirates in general. This and more can be found at this weblink....

Pirate Flags; The Jolly Roger is one of the most enduring pieces of pirate imagery, but some flags are not as authentic as many books and websites say they are. Earrings; why did most pirates wear earrings? More importantly did most pirates wear earrings?

Pirate Ranks; The typical ranks aboard sailing ships, with particular reference to the Quartermaster.

The Pirates' Code; as laid down by the pirates Morgan and Bartholomew... and Disney.

Pirate Clothing; just how accurate is the pirate clothing, portrayed in popular media from Howard Pyle to Captain Jack Sparrow?

Pirate Language; aaargh, savvy?

Pirate Punishments; Walking the plank.


Here's a small list of old Pirate movies.. if you've never seen them, you might enjoy them! (and even if you have seen them.. they're always worth another look-see)

CAPTAIN KIDD Starring Charles Laughton and Randolph Scott

THE SON OF MONTE CRISTO Starring Louis Hayward, Joan Bennett and Clayton Moore

LONG JOHN SILVER’S RETURN TO TREASURE ISLAND Starring Robert Newton

5 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

"Shiver me timbers!"

okay, that's it, i'm done. Such a bad influence De!

7:32 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I didn't realize this is a day to be a pirate! Well, I'll just take Johnny Depp and let that be my nod to being a Pirate! (lol)

I hope you can visit my blog Pat..I've posted some of my artwork and would love for you to take a peek.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Jeff said...

I have a really corny pirate joke (riddle). I just can't remember it. I will get back to you. :P

4:52 PM  
Blogger dave said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:49 PM  
Blogger dave said...

I have some cool Pirate Brand Sandals to show you guys! http://www.casualpirate.com

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home