My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Half Of a Weekend Assignment


This week John Scalzi has a weekend assignment which i thought about tackling then didn't feel up to it. Later, I did decide to do the "extra credit" part, which would be considered alot of "free speech" anyway.

Extra Credit: A favorite controversial book (it doesn't have to be from an American).

A book I read many years ago, and that I found really interesting, fills the bill. It's called "Chariots of the Gods" by Erich Von Daniken.

Most who have read this just say it's garbage and "wrong, wrong, wrong". But I think those who feel that way think that Von Daniken was trying to say that most religious beliefs are wrong, when in reality, all he was saying was: do you think this could be a possibility? (at least that's how "I" took it)

I don't believe he was trying to say that things we've all been taught or things we believe in are "wrong". I do believe he was trying to say "there are other possibilities". That how things are interpreted may not all be the same. And most importantly, that we should always leave our minds open to other possibilities, no matter how far fetched they may seem.

The reason behind it? Because no one is perfect. Mistakes can be made and never realized. And that EVERYTHING is open to interpretation

These are some of the things that stuck with me from reading this book. And have stayed with me ever since.

Fortunately or unfortunately Von Daniken chose to take things from the Bible and from ancient drawings and such found all over the world to try to approach them differently and so the big controversy began. Even though he states, more than once, that it's "only a theory and open to interpretation".

I really don't believe he was trying to make anyone believe HIS theory was right, so much as to just make you think that there are many possibilities out there and we should not close our minds to one way of thinking.

Many believe he was trying to convince anyone reading that how "man kind" started on this earth is that we were put here by "ancient astronauts", and that they then visited those left hear for years to come. (It was made into a movie called "In Search of Ancient Astronauts")

If you do keep an open mind, you might have to say "it's a possibility"..but of course it can't be proved, just like many things we believe in can't be proved. It would be a choice of "faith".

I wouldn't say I believe in his theory.. nor would I say I don't. But he did make me believe in POSSIBILITIES... there are always possibilities.

***********************************************************

I feel like my body has gotten totally out of shape, so I got my doctor's permission to join a fitness club and start exercising. I decided to take an aerobics class for seniors. I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour. But, by the time I got my leotards on, the class was over.

2 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I am unfamiliar with this book, but like you, I try to be open to 'the possabilities' that might be out there that we are unfamiliar with possibly...and unless it is preaching death and destruction and hatred of some kind--i.e. prejudice---I think it is of value to at least read wht someone has to say, if this is the kind of thing that interests you...

LOL, LOL...So sorry you missed that darn class,,,,!!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

I never heard of the book, but I do believe that anything is possible. Besides, everyone that has a religous belief is making a leap of faith. They can't say for certain that what they believe is true. They have faith in what they believe.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home