My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Day Out..

Yesterday Creation Entertainment was having a convention at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in the New Jersey Meadowlands. I wasn't going to go, even though it was a "Star Trek Convention", just because of the cost for me to take a taxi back and forth, but when I read that an old friend, Richard Arnold, was going to be there I scraped around until I could afford to go. I wanted to see Richard since it was some 9 yrs ago when I saw him last.

On my way to the hotel I tired to take a photo of the Stadium on Rt.3. The Stadium refers of course to Giant Stadium. Not the best photo but the taxi was hauling butt, it was cloudy, and on the opposite side of the highway.

I arrived very early, though I didn't "need to" in the respect of when it would be time to purchase a ticket, but I did "need" to be away from the house, so I went early and treated myself to a real Cappuccino with lots of cinnamon on top!

Once in line, I was speaking with a young man named David, who came to the con to get Kate Mulgrew's autograph, when I heard a voice saying, "Hi Pat..." I turned and saw Richard standing there with a smile. I (kinda loudly and excitedly) said "Richard!" and ran for a big hug. He told me to follow him as he went for a coffee for someone in the dealers room. Then I followed him to the room and watched as they did a live interview with one of the "minor" guests that was there to do autographs.

A back door was opened and I stepped outside to a really nice view as seen in the next photo.

Richard gave me a wrist band so that I didn't have to buy a ticket. We pretty much hung out and he introduced me to some folks that were helping him and friends of his. In between, when Richard had things to do for Creation I would take a walk around the dealers room. Below is some artwork that is sold at the conventions...

... including some by an artist I have enjoyed over the years, Michael David Ward.

My favorite of his was not displayed. (but here's a picture of it) It's called "Second Star to the Right."

I have it as a mousepad and boy would i love a new mousepad like it but they no longer make them..... darn.

Below is a dealers table that I just happened to notice with DeForest's plaque for sale.

Walking around the con were a few folks in costumes. Actually I was very surprised because far fewer were in costumes then were years ago when I would go to Trek conventions. One man in particular, from England kept popping up, in as many as 5 different costumes . When I talked to him I found out that in England he gets paid as a Patrick Stewart look-alike... and guess what... if you saw him you'd do a double take before you realized this guy is alot younger then Patrick, therefore cannot be him lol.

I did leave Richards side to attend Creations Auction. It still boggles my mind how much money some folks will spend at this thing!!.. below is a canvas piece of Walter Koenig. It was signed and went for about 150.00. They did have a plaque also of the Original folks of Trek.. with every signature on it... (I hope you are sitting down).. it went for 1,500.00!!! What rally blows my mind the most is that it would bring that much money whenParamount has killed Star Trek.

When Richard gave his talk he was asked about Paramount selling off all the Trek stuff the studio had, and though Paramount made WAaaaaay more than expected, they still called it "stuff".. as Richard put it... "after all these years, and money they've made off of Star Trek... they STILL DON'T GET IT"!

With the day winding down I took another step outside .. it was one of the finer autumn days in NJ!

Before I left I did have one of Richards friends take a photo of us together... I really enjoyed seeing him and chatting in between his Convention Duties. He couldn't believe how long it had been since we last saw each other... eventually, he had to admit the last time we were together was at Paramount Studios when they had a Memorial for DeForest Kelley in 1999. I hope it's not that long before we meet again.


4 Comments:

Blogger Skittles said...

Wow... I'm glad you had a great time!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Hey...The guy in the trekkie outfit holding the poster of chekov...wasn't that the poor guy in Trekkies??

I haven't been to a trek convention in years...I don't think they have had many up here in a while.

The one I went to Ryker was giving a speech and being boggled by the people with their insane attention to detail..he sort of looked over at me and did a help me with his face!

I guess i looked normal!!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

You always sound like you have so much fun on your sci-fi adventures.

Definitely a good thing.

And I saw plenty of Giant Stadium on t.v. last night when my Bears put a whuppin' on 'em.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

That is soooooo great that you got to meet up with your old friend! AND that you got to go and enjoy the convention! Yahoooo!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home