My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

A Few Glorious Moments to Myself..

With David at home for a long weekend, it's given me a little time to myself (a rare and cherished event!). I dug my heels in and finally began a book I've had for a while now, Dragons of Dwarven Depths.

Someday I will take count of how many Weis-Hickman books I've read, right now let's just say, "quite a few!" This book being their latest collaboration, and using their older main characters which I have come to love to read about.

There are many.. MANY ..Dragonlance books and sprinkled among them are other writers carrying on the stories, but Weis and Hickman remain my staple. I did read a "prequel" written by someone else, and it wasn't bad... just not as good.

So, now I am half way thru this latest installment and when I finish this post I will hope I still have some time to plop my butt on my bed and read at least a few more chapters!

When I finish that book I have a few more waiting in the wings. Small pun there since the next in line is a Dragon book. Anne McCaffrey's Pern books are some of the BEST Fantasy written, and I've read the main books more then once over the years.

Anne is slowly turning over "Pern" to her son Todd. In so doing I'm sure she's trying to put at rest for the many fans, that Pern stories will go on for a while yet.

I'm sorry to say that Todd isn't his mother. I think when the initial story and characters come from within one person, it's near impossible to come across with that same sort of love for the characters. It's one thing to have "a good story", but another to make characters in such a way that you just don't want them to leave your own life. I think part of me reads the books now because I still love the dragons and the characters.. just not as much as "Moms"!

If I ever get through with that book, I will take a small break from Fantasy (something I do rarely) and finally read a book that took me nearly 2 yrs to find! "A Bright Particular Star" by Michael Coveney is the only known "bio" of Maggie Smith, who is my favorite female actress.

This book went out of print some time ago and with all my searches I'd either come up with nothing at all or a copy that was outrageously expensive! Then one day this one popped up on Amazon! It's not in the best of condition, but considering my alternatives.. I'll take it!

There are two small sections in the book with some photos. I don't know if many realize just how much stage Dame Maggie Smith has done over the years.. here's a glimpse.....

(She really is beautiful isn't she?!)

And to think there are many young folks out there that think Maggie is just a Professor at Hogwarts!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Didn't Maggie play the old version of Wendy in "Pan" starring Robin Williams?

By the way, it's just dawning on me that your fascination/love of dragons is what lured you to my page in the beginning. See, destiny. Crazy ain't it?

I'm always glad to hear about you getting some "down" time for yourself.

1:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

That was the movie "Hook" from 1991.. and yes, Maggie played "Granny Wendy"...

I think I came to your site from something you left as a comment... and actually your "alias" of Kiyotoe caught my eye... I know how i say it in MY mind.. but how do YOU pronounce it? (phonetically)

1:53 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

"Murder by Death" is one of my favorite movies, and I loved Maggie in "Evil Under the Sun," one of Agatha Christie's mysteries immortalized on film. (For me, Peter Ustinov IS Hercule Poirot!)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

(key-yoe-toe).......

How do you pronounce it?

We've been friends far too long for us to just be having this conversation. lol.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Annare said...

Hello there, Deslily :)

I'm a huge fan of Maggie Smith (I think my favourite role of hers is still the first one I saw her in - the housekeeper in The Secret Garden) and I wanted to say thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures! I've never seen this book, but will definately be on the lookout now!

Just on the off-chance, you don't know anywhere where I can download a hi-res photo of Maggie, do you? I'd love one like the classic black and white ones you shared, in a high enough resolution so that I can print it at A4 size and put it on my wall ^-^ (I know, I'm a nerd, haha). Any tips on where I could find a picture would be gratefully received!

Thanks again for sharing, have a great week!

From An.

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home