My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Reruns...

On my last post I sorta pimped a blog that I really enjoy about sci-fi and fantasy. At the blog they often talk about movies and television shows long gone. It brought to my mind two shows that I really like that had an all too short time on television, and I'd love it if they would show up someday in reruns, but for whatever reason, they just don't.

That upsets me since I see many rerun shows that weren't as good as the two I am going to mention. I don't really know who or how old shows get into reruns and others don't. If I knew I'd do my best to try to get my old time favorites back on the air.

The first show was called Earth 2. This show was Sci-fi and aired in 1994-1995. The premise of the show went like this:

Two hundred years into the future, Devon Adair embarks on a mission to save her son's life and to provide humanity with a second chance. After traveling through space for twenty-two years, Devon and her small Advance team are forced to crash-land onto the far-away planet known as G-889. They are thousands of miles from their destination: New Pacifica, where they're supposed to set up a colony for the 250 families that are following. The survivors start out on a long and perilous journey toward New Pacifica. During their journey they will learn a lot about the mysteries of their new home and themselves.

Some of the "aliens" native to the planet they were on were Terrians.

Terrians are tribal creatures who live underground and count among their powers the ability to travel through solid earth. They have two primary modes of communication: through a trilling, almost whale-like song, and through dreams. Unlike humans, they don't view themselves as individuals, but rather as extensions of the planet, whose molecular composition is virtually indistinguishable from their own. Thus they often think and move in unison, as if controlled by a single mind. They are peacefulbeings, but will act ruthlessly to protect the planet, which they consider their "mother". Their weapon of choice is the lightning staff -- a wooden pole topped with a rare mineral that channels and directs electrical energy from the planet into bolts of lightning.

And then there were "creatures"called Grendlers.

Solitary and nomadic, Grendlers are acquisitive, conniving and self-serving. They will trade anything -- information, objects or their own loyalty -- for advantage. They are compact and extremely strong, able to lift ten times their own weight.

This show was not filled with special effects and was well acted with a good story line going for it. It was offbeat from other sci-fi shows in that it all took place ON the planet , which was something I found very refreshing. It gave time to concentrate on the characters, which I will admit is something I like. Often I find myself more interested in things that extend the characters than I am with the overall story line.

I was pleased to discover that it is available (all 21 episodes) on dvd. But I'd still rather watch it in reruns on television once a week.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok.. that brings me to a show that I thought was one of the best shows ever to be made for television: Ron Koslow's Beauty and the Beast which began airing in 1987.

Oh boy.. each week I'd wait for this show to come on! I don't think I knew a female who wasn't in love with Ron Perlman, as the Beast! The voice he used when he was the Beast was a sound every woman wanted to hear whispered in their ear.

I happened by this review and thought it worth putting in my journal......

Reviewer: "nioliver" -
This show was ground-breaking for what it tried to do. The romance that blossomed between a New York lawyer (Catherine Chandler played by Linda Hamilton) and a half man half lion (Vincent played by Ron Perlman) showed that no matter where you come from and what you look like - none of that matters when you connect with another person. And for the decade of indulgence and greed, that was something special.
Once Upon a Time in New York is the first episode where we are introduced to Catherine and Vincent. She comes from a privileged and monied background, he comes from a secret world below where he has been hidden by a caring man who he comes to look upon as his father (Roy Dotrice). They meet under the most dire of circumstances after Catherine is attackedand left for dead in Central Park. Vincent finds her and cares for her - changing her life forever. When Catherine eventually returns to her life, she takes with her the knowledge that part of her has remained with Vincent - and part of him goes with her.
Subsequent episodes of this show had Catherine facing various dangers as part of her job and Vincent saving her. We also got to know more about the people that lived with Vincent in this underground world.
It was a shame that this show did not go on longer because it made people believe in true love overcoming insurmountable odds -and that isn't a bad thing.

Sometimes a show comes along that you swear was written "for the actors" instead of finding someone to "fill the part". This was one of those shows. The casting of Mr. Perlman, Linda Hamilton and Roy Dotrice, along with all the regulars, was supurb!

At one time there was talk of a Movie with the original cast but Linda Hamilton had moved on to the Terminator series and had no interest in a Beauty and the Beast Movie. What a shame.. I really feel it would have done well at the box office, as it still had a large following.. the "die-hards" that never forget a good thing .

I am happy to report that this long loved, long awaited series is FINALLY going to be available in DVD!! And can be pre-ordered .. the release date for the first season is February 13th.

Long ago, I did go to a few Beauty and the Beast conventions and was privileged to see Ron Perlman speak once in NY and I had a few times I saw Roy Dotrice, including meeting him in Florida, where I got to meet both he and his wife Kay. From that time on we wrote to each other for a few years, before life interfered and I lost contact with him. (A fabulous actor, who's career I still try to follow)

So... that's two shows I'd still like to see come back on television! How about you? Any old favorites that haven't made it back in reruns that you'd like to see?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jeff said...

Maybe the Sci-Fi channel will bring Earth II back. They have resurrected a lot of old shows - even if it is just the originals as weekday filler.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Beauty and the Beast I remember. Earth 2 I don't. Probably because 94-95 was my senior year in high school/freshman year in college so there were waaaaaaaaaay to many other uh.......

distractions going on.

Do you remember a show called "The Misfits of Science". Aww man, I loved that show. Had to be the 80's when that was out.

10:05 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

You make both these shows sound so wonderful----"BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" I remember very well and thought it a fascinating show....The other show I don't remember, but I have never been a Sci-Fi kind of gal, so it's not surprising...

The show I wish was out on DVD is "The Days and Nights Of Molly Dodd"....Blair Brown being the lead actress....It was beautifully written and beautifully acted, too! A Superior series in every way....It's time it was transferred to DVD, PLEASE!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

I didn't watch Beauty and the Beast till near it's end and was boggled that it was such a hit!
It was fun though and a good idea and good acting too.

And I think over on Sci Fi we are going to have to talk about SeaQuest DSV.....wooo boy!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Oh and I forgot...i commented about your comment/question about Harry Potter

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home