My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Weekend Assignment #138

I'm on my way out the door to visit an old friend at a convention... lucky for you I wrote this up yesterday so all I have to do is post it and run!.... have a good day!

Weekend Assignment #138: Your Favorite Kid's Books

this week's Weekend Assignment is to share your favorite book from when you were a child, say, when you were eight or ten years old.

The extra credit is to suggest a good kid's book from the current era (not including the Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket books, because, well, they're sort of obvious). Got it? Excellent.

When Very Very young, I don't remember being read to so I can't comment on my earliest memory. When I could read, I do remember a number of books such as: The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and a bunch of Zane Grey western books. (which btw, turned itself into a television series called: Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater and it ran from 1956-1961 )

There was one book I remember vividly, and it probably was because of the illustrations in the book.. the book was Pinocchio. And it was way before Walt Disney got his hands on it!

Pinocchio was written by Carlo Lorenzini and illustrated by Frederick Richardson. The original story of Pinocchio is quite different from the one that became a popular movie. There have been numerous translations from the Italian.

I was in High School when my brother introduced me to J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. That was the first fantasy fiction book I remember reading, and have read almost nothing else but fantasy fiction ever since!

Extra Credit: Oh, goodness.. since my kids have long been adults I'm not real sure what to say. Last Christmas I got my 10 yr old grandson the Harry Potter and Narnia series of books.

Since I no longer read very young children's books, there might be one more series I intend to get my grandson and that's Weis and Hickman Dragonlance series that has been transformed for young readers ages 8-13.

There are 6 books in the Dragonlance Series for kids.

A Rumor of Dragons

Night of the Dragons

The Nightmare Lands

To the Gates of Palanthas

Hope's Flame

and A Dawn of Dragons

So that's my recommendation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home