My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Lost and Found


"Walking in a Winter Wonderland" ......Just 7 days till Christmas!


Once lost... now found.

Way back when.. (before Peter Jackson's time) Rankin & Bass made a cartoon of The Hobbit. It wasn't the best cartoon ever made but back then, it was more then anyone else was willing to try to put out.

Even then I was a full blown Tolkien fan, and so I set about embroidering a size 36x40 of it for my sons room. (embroidered in 1979) I took several different drawings from a book that came out showing all the characters and put them together to form the embroidery.

The other day while searching for something entirely different I came across the embroidery which has been folded up in a box for some 18 years.... I tried to tape it up so that I could take a photo of it... (sorry for the folds you see, but there is no one around to hold it out tight)

Here are some close ups to show it really is ALL thread!

(left to right) Kili, Dwalin and Balin.

Bilbo

(Gandalf) Smaug

I remember it took me nearly a year to complete it, and I can't imagine how much thread I bought! For some time it was framed and hanging for my kids, along with another I had made of Ruth, the White Dragon from Ann McCaffrey's Pern book cover. That was another large undertaking and took about 8 or 9 months to do. I've shown the White Dragon one before so I won't make you see it again.

So.. this is really not going anywhere .... I just thought I'd post the pictures of the Hobbit since I was so excited I found it!

8 Comments:

Blogger SQT said...

Wow! Does your son know how much work goes into one of those things? He should appreciate the love that went into that by golly.

My mother-in-law does amazing cross stiches. I doubt I'll ever take it up just because hers are so fabulous, why bother?

I like to crochet though. I've made tons of blankets. Love the afgans.

7:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Sqt.. hey i crochet too! and almost exclusively afgans lol.. after I did the 2 embroideries I did some small stuff on jeans but haven't made any thing else in eons lol..
The only good thing about winter is being able to make afgans! lol

7:45 PM  
Blogger ian said...

OMG, I totally remember that cartoon. God, I was only seven when it came out!

Did you ever see the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings?

Thought I'd say hello after lurking for awhile, so...HELLO!! :)

Ian

10:13 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

I saw that cartoon ... in fact I think I've seen/listened to every broadcast (there was a really good radio broadcast about 20+ years ago). My husband was a Tolkein nut, and I grew up with it too. Nothing comes close ;-)

11:09 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

you know i don't like when you go back before my time. Now i feel so left out.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

Oh My!

I am so pleased that you decided to post it, I am just in awe! Wow, what talent. It truly is a work of beauty, true art. :) I wish I could do needlepoint, I have never been able to. By the way, I remember that special like it was yesterday, my brother bought me the soundtrack, on record, and it had a book with it, your pictures triggerd such a nice memory for me. Thanks darlin!

6:43 AM  
Anonymous DesLily said...

Ian: hello, and thanks for stopping by! Oh yes, anything that ever came out of LOTR I had seen lol.. I'm most happy to say it was finally done to perfection with Peter Jackson! I doubt anyone will ever try to top that one!

Bibi: I guess someone figured out just how many Tolkien nuts there were to do yet another movie of it! (thankfully)

Kiyotoe: you know i love you.. now don't make me spank you! lol.. I believe once you mentioned how you liked old movies? You might want to see it? But fair warning: the cartoon Rankin & Bass did was somewhat of a "musical"

Carly: I think I know like 2 or 3 stitches to embroider..and that's all! lol..I would only do stitches that could be washed so I could do stuff on jeans mostly..but I don't think I could find the needle hole even with my glasses on anymore! lol

8:20 AM  
Anonymous julie said...

That is amazing work! I could never do anything like that.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home