My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Weekend Assignment #149

Weekend Assignment #149: Ill-Advised Teenage Fashions

Weekend Assignment #149: Reveal Your Teenage Fashion Disasters! Yes, whether it's big hair, Nehru jackets, acid-washed jeans or an ill-advised tattoo, let us know what about your style as a teenager you would change today.

Extra Credit: Are you kidding? Pictures, baby!

I haven't participated in John Scalzi's weekend assignments lately, but I thought it would be fun to join in this week.... if you want to join in remember to leave a link on John's Journal!

Ok, so here we go.... and since I don't have a lot of teen photo's I've started with youth pictures...............

The first pictures I have are from my mother's era of: all little girls should have a bow in their hair. *groan*.. and she kept this up for longer then I care to think of!

Also note: that it just wasn't a "bow"... but a HUGE BOW! Gads, did she think everyone was blind or what !???

I couldn't find many photo's when I was a teenager.. I had this thing about cameras... when a camera came out, I disappeared! But here are what few I came up with...

Picture #1... the pantaloon gym suits! Oh, and scarfs.. they were a big thing back then. Don't ask why because I don't remember! I do know they were worn by all the girls though.. even when it wasn't windy or needed!

Ok.. in Picture #2.. note: that is not a hat on my head! It's teased hair! And the higher the better! One could easily use a half of can of hair spray on this to be sure it didn't move... even in a hurricane! Of course, if I am truthful here, the 1/2 can of spray I used was because my mother had an old convertible car and INSISTED on always driving with the top down! Oh horror! And mess my hair??? Not!

The last photo is my HS graduation photo (right out of the yearbook).. Note the hair is still big! I don't remember when the huge amount of teasing of the hair left, but I don't think it was for some time after I graduated. Heavy makeup was still in then too, especially the eye makeup.. had to have that black eyeliner or you weren't "dressed".

I can remember that girls were not allowed to wear any sort of pants in HS nor were boys allowed to wear jeans or t-shirts!

Girls had to wear skirts BELOW their knees or were sent home to change their clothes! (we'd roll up the waist band to make skirts just above the knee and jank it down when a teacher approached.)

During Gym class (it wasn't called Phys Ed back then) we'd roll our stocking down and put socks over them to save time when we had to redress later.. that was a no no if you were caught. Needless to say.. there were no panty hose then! We even has "seams" in our stockings!!

Guys had to have neat haircuts.. the minute they even looked like they "needed a hair cut" they were sent home until they got one.

It blew my mind when I went to visit my old High School only a few years after I graduated to see all the jeans and t-shirts worn by both male and female...AND THE TEACHERS! Hello? I couldn't tell some of the younger teachers from the students!!!

I will admit here though.. I never did think "how you dressed" had a darn thing to do with "how you learned". Obviously back then they thought if you were dressed comfortable you couldn't learn... my how times have changed!


'Till next time...



17 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

I remember my sisters (the twins) sporting just the same looks! They may not be great by today's standards (although honestly they are far better than SOME of the stuff today's youth is doing!) but you were definately IN STYLE! And you were very pretty too!

1:29 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I think those pictures are great. My Mom graduated in '62 also.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous julie said...

That 1959 picture is so fetching! Those are the same style of gym shorts I was wearing ten years later! Some things never change.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

An interesting look into the history of Deslily. Neat pictures too.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Great post, DesLily...they were 'fashion disasters' at the time, though...we were right in fashion and we looked terrific!

I used to have the bee-hive and the French roll...eat your heart out Holly Golightly!

We were right in vogue! ;)

7:51 PM  
Blogger DellaB said...

Oh the memories these pictures brought back - great pictures too...

I have hardly any, actually none really, moving away from home at 17, then home kept shifting, nothing of mine from childhood or teen years has survived. I am dependant on others in the family even to see photos from early days.

But I remember how strict the dress code was - we had a school uniform that included hat AND gloves AND tie - I was always in trouble for being messy and not up to scratch...

11:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli..never thought of myself as pretty but thanks lol

*groan* do I have to thank you SQT for being your mothers age? lol lol

Julie.. to be honest I never thought the gym suits were "that bad"..not great but could have been worse

"history" is the right word to use Mike!

Ahh the French Twist! I could do it with my eyes closed!!! And did it for many other girls in HS too !

Actually I have very few photos too Della.. My mother didn't have that many and I inherited hers but like I said, I hated being in front of a camera! I guess I was lucky not to have a "uniform"..but they remained strict as they could. It was most uncomfortable walking to school in a dress in the winter!!!

9:24 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL....Those are some cute pictures Pat...Love those bows, particularly...
I remember all that hair very well...I don't remember when it changed either, but Thank the Lord, it did! (lol)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Great pictures, Pat! I love seing pictures that show how a person got to where they are today.

I loved the scarf and pose:) Too funny with your pin up girl pose!

Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog

3:26 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks Pat...I think I will post that you emailed them cause I think it will encourage others, as well!

6:10 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

If it's any comfort Deslily, my mom had kids early. Waaaaay earlier than I did. I will be an old lady before my kids move out.

I'm also older than my husband and my mother-in-law is only 15 years older than me. That doesn't seem like a big deal, but sometimes it can get strange.

6:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Naomi.. all of us "of a certain age" remember the "big hair" lol..

Hey Chris! It's not easy being glamorous in a gymsuit ya know! lol

SQT.. that's ok... i never had a daughter.. you can be it lol.. my oldest son is 41 and I am 62..I know everyone can subtract! lol

6:23 PM  
Blogger Suspect said...

Hair spray in 1960? Wow. You were ahead of your time.

Heh.

1:31 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

SQT.. that's ok... i never had a daughter.. you can be it lol..

Well that's flattering. My mom's leaving the country so I may have to take you up on it. ;)

2:20 AM  
Anonymous crunchy carpets said...

I will have to show my mom.....
she will love the hair....she is the same age as you!...well she just turned 63.

and I will have to scan some photos in...I was an 80's teen and LOVED it.

I was a 70's child and I think that scarred me for life!

When I get posting pics figured out on my cc site...just you wait and see.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Look at you .... what a hottie

Hey.. I remember rolling my skirts, too.
... and cat eyeliner... Wow.

Times moved slower then, because I graduated from high school in 1969

2:12 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

Wow they were strict. When I was in school, I could wear jeans, and a t-shirt. Funny thing is, after I graduated, they started talking about school uniforms. In fact the Charter Schools require students to wear uniforms.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home