My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cowboys...

I couldn't do cowboys without having Harry Carey Jr. I've written other posts about meeting him and getting him together with "Spin and Marty". But Harry did many, many westerns with the likes of John Wayne. He was one of a handful of men that John Ford would call each and every time he was making a western. Besides a long list of movies, Harry made regular appearances on television, most especially westerns such as: Wagon Train, Have Gun Will Travel, and Laramie.


Although the next photo is not autographed ( I have his autograph, just not on a cowboy shot) I HAD to include this photo of Richard Widmark from the movie The Law and Jake Wade. I love love love this photo! (hey Naomi.. look close at the cactus behind him..it ready to bloom!) DeForest made a few westerns with Mr Widmark, The Law and Jake Wade among them.

Richard is probably more known for his villain portrayals, but I liked his cowboy persona. While making one of the westerns that De was in, De mentioned to me once that while the cast was "doing lunch", and Richard was somewhere behind where he was standing, suddenly he heard this laugh, that he said sent chills down his spine. Yep, you guessed it... it was Richard. He was known for his evil laugh, the same one that made him famous for having a small part in "Kiss of Death". De said, his evil laugh was natural... and that alone was scary!

Another veteran cowboy is Dale Robertson. (every bit as handsome when I met him as he was back in the day he was a household cowboy name. His longest running television show was: "Tales of Wells Fargo" .... Jim Hardie / ... (201 episodes, 1957-1962)

A small piece of trivia here: Dale had an uncredited part as a cop in The Boy With Green Hair, which starred Dean Stockwell, who's autograph I had in my last post.

Well... what can I possibly say about Clint Eastwood?.. duh.. handsome, talented, actor, producer, director...... 'nuff said? (unfortunately, I've never met Mr Eastwood.. darn, darn, darn!)

I guess it's safe to say that the spagetti western did right by him! Playing the tough guy, be it western or Dirty Harry got him where he is today, but to me he did just fine as a leading romance in Bridges of Madison County.

And just for the record, I'm old enough tohave seen him when the original series of Rawhide was on television... lordy he was handsome!

I saved the last picture for one of my absolute favorites: Ben Johnson.

Gawd, how I adored this man! He began his career as a stunt man for westerns and soon was given parts in the movies and they found a fabulous Star! I "found" Ben from the movie Mighty Joe Young, and followed that man and his fantastic voice from then on.

My kids could have the tv on and I could have loud noise in my ears from running the vacuum and I could even be in another room and my head would perk hearing a voice, and immediately I'd know it was Ben Johnson.. the vacuum would get turned off and I'd wind up sitting next to my son just to watch Ben at work. I was crushed when he passed away in 1996.


'Till next time.....


8 Comments:

Anonymous Karmyn said...

I have three autographs I recieved as a kid - I got them as part of a school project for reading/auction.

One is Paul Newman - signed with a felt tip pen. I love it.

The other is Robert Redford - a stamped signature on a crappy picture. It disappoints me.

The third is a no-name actress. (she was in the later Mork & Mindy series - played a waitress)

I think I should get them out of their current magnetic album and put them in something acid-safe.

2:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Karmyn: Ohhh Paul Newman! I wouldn't mind that one! hahaha.. have you looked up the name of the lady who played the waitress on IMDb.com to see what else she might have done?

2:26 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

INDEEEED! I recognize all these guys! And Clint Eastwood is probably my favorite cowboy ... EVER! Well... maybe except for Paul Newman & Robert Redford in Sundance! But that was just a one time thing for them.... Dirty Harry was ... awesome! And I liked Roy Rogers! But ya know the funniest thing -- whenEVER I hear Richard Widmark's name -- this is sO bad! I ALWAYS think of the I LOVE LUCY episode where she's jealous cuz Ricky is meeting with RW and so she and Ethel take a tour and end up at his house - and Lucy (of course) gets TRAPPED in his house, right as Ricky and RW show up!!! That is one of my favorite episodes! It is SO funny!

This was GREAT Deslily! Ya got more?

7:38 PM  
Anonymous swampwitch said...

Oh my, what a wonderful trip down memory lane. Thank you. Love, love, love the pictures.
Wising you a wonderful weekend as I probably won't have much time for visiting in the next week.
Kath :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli: I know the Lucy episode! In fact I do believe I have it on vhs in one of my movie boxes! heh... I've liked Widmark for a very very long time.

Kath: awww, well I still have a few more posts of mostly autograph photo's so if you decide to "catch up" there won't be a whole lot of writing lol

8:05 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Thanks for that trip down cowboy trails, Deslily. I like Ben Johnson, too. He was a fine actor.

As for "Bridges of Madison County". I bought the book when visiting the coast once and couldn't put it down. I had to finish it straight away. It's not a thick book, but boy...oh...boy...I cried my eyes out! I loaned it to a couple of friends and they did the same! I cried, of course, in the movie. Eastwood was very good in that role.

Actually, I have the first edition of the book...originally it was called "Love in Black and White"...then was released later as "Bridges of Madison County". Wonderful story.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

remember and adored them all.. yessirree.

I remember the hairy chest on robertson and the way he talked.

When I was a kid I thought it was kind of icky.. ha ha ha ha ha

2:26 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Lee: I loved the movie, many did not think Eastwood was right for it, but I liked it. Ohhh first copy of the book! How cool!!! That's a keeper!!

Pamela: I love cowboys in general lol.. and Ben was "real" one before movies.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home