My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Book Report Time..

As you can see by my "what I"m reading now" on the sidebar, I finished the first book in the Septimus Heap series, Magyk.

Angie Sage is another good story teller and has written a good fantasy story. Along with Mark Zug who adds greatly to the books with his drawings throughout.


So far, the trilogy, revolves around the Heap family, Silas (an Ordinary Wizard) and his wife Sarah and their 7 sons. One of which is taken from them at birth stating he is dead. (the 7th son of a 7th son). But Silas has found an abandoned infant girl on the same day their son is taken away "dead" and they begin to raise the baby girl (Jenna) with their 6 sons. The story picks up ten years later when Marcia, (the ExtraOrdinary Wizard) comes to tell the Heaps that the baby girl Silas found is actually a Princess and in danger of being discovered by a spy.

Angie builds her characters well and you quickly begin to feel like you know them. She adds into the spice with some interesting creatures (Brownies, Boggarts and Wizards) and simple magyk spells to entertain and to help the story move forward.

At the end of the book she does something I haven't seen done before. She names a chapter: After .. and then tells what happened to minor characters that just sort of "don't show up again".. The book ends neatly, with no cliff hangers... yet I was happy to know there was more to come in Flyte and Physik..... I really enjoyed the book.


This is certainly another author I would highly recommend for young adults to read. And if you want a light read and feel like relaxing with an entertaining story and some good characters.. I'd recommend it to anyone, any age.



I've just begun the second in the series called Flyte, which picks up about a year later.

Magyk

564 pages

Author: Angie Sage

...'till next time...

4 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this. I have the first one but have not read more than a little of it and really need to get back to it. I saw that the third in the series was on the bookshelf when I was at Barnes and Noble the other day.

1:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Carl.. I have all 3 so I am just rolling along with them lol..

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Quixotic said...

These look appealing - more for The List!

I like the look of the illustrations from these pictures.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did u get those pictures from the pages? I need more of them! They rock!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home