My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Weekend Assignment

I thought I would take on John Scalazi's Weekend Assignment today.

Weekend Assignment #159: You've decided to become a writer under a pen name. What pen name do you choose? Because, after all, writers use pen names all the time -- sometimes to maintain anonymity, sometimes to start a new career when their writing career under their real name has crashed and burned, and sometimes just because they want a different name than the one they were born with. You can assume any of the reasons for taking up a pen name. (No fair using a name that's taken: Your pen name can't be "Steve King" or "Jonathan Grisham" or some such.)

Well, the only thing of written is my Fantasy Trilogy. I did wonder about not using my real name, but since it won't be published, I can't say I thought about it for very long. I did toy with using my screen name of DesLily for a bit, and even made my own cover to see what it would look like. I even thought the use of just one name was a neat idea.

Then I thought.. nah. I do know that real authors, at times use other names, and being female the first thing that I did think of was that some people think woman can't write as well as men and so stay clear of female authors. So... Initials are the best way to go. That way (if you don't have an author bio in the inside cover) no one will ever know. Instead of Pat I would just use the P. That could be Peter or Paul (not Mary) or Patrick .. or Pat. heh. A is my middle initial and that could also be a male name. Albert, or Archie instead of Ann which it is.

(just for kicks I put in the back of the book.... no bio.. so no one knows for sure.

When I used to Myrtle for the Kelley's, Carolyn and DeForest dubbed me "Copycat". This was because the "original Myrtle" was drawn in his fan club newsletter by Sue, although I put Myrtle up on two feet, more like their "child", so there were more then just the drawings that differed. But, the Copycat name stuck and I always signed the drawings that way to them. So, in some way, I have had a Pen name.

Extra Credit: Using this Anagram Maker, share an amusing anagram of your name.

hmmm, a few in the anagram of P.A.Neal were interesting.....

There was: A La Pen (that anything meaning writer??),

Lean PA (Ohhh! Now I'm skinny!),

and then there was...Ale Nap (sorry, not a beer drinker!)

Ah well, if push comes to shove... I also answer to, "hey you!"


If you want to join in remember to leave a link on John's Weekend Assignment Post.


'Till next time....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Karmyn R said...

Actually - the bio intrigues me to read the book!!!!


I always thought I would have a pen name of: Kloe Noski

Don't know why - it sounded mysterious. (so - if you ever see a book popping up with that author - you'll know it's me - HA!)

12:09 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I guess I'm not super exciting with the whole pen name thing. I always thought I would use my initials with my mom's maiden name, or something like that. T. M. O'Brien would be the name. I like it for a couple of reasons. It's anonymous and no one would know automatically if it was a man or woman who wrote the book.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

My first name anograms:

A AMPLE
A MAPLE
A LAP ME
A LAP EM
A PAL ME
A PAL EM
A ALP ME
A ALP EM
A PA ELM
LEA MAP
LEA AMP
ALE MAP
ALE AMP
MALE PA
MEAL PA
LAME PA
PLEA MA
PLEA AM
PALE MA
PALE AM
PEAL MA
PEAL AM
LEAP MA
LEAP AM
APE LAM
PEA LAM
LA PA ME
LA PA EM


There were at least 1000 with my last name.

The first one about sez it all:
A Ample

12:18 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

It seems you're having a lot of fun there, Deslily. I'll have to put my thinking cap on and think up a suitable pen name for myself!

Happy Easter!

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home