My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, May 14, 2007

The Cost of Stamps Just Went Up!

I guess it comes as no big surprise that today the US Post Office is once again raising the price of stamps. I thought I'd better remind y'all so you don't mail an important Bill out and it gets returned!

Sometimes, it seems incredible to me that they have gone up so much in price during my lifetime. (I know I'm Old.. but gimme a break!)

Back in my day this is what stamps looked like. (note: the price!)

Granted you had to lick the stamp, but hey, considering the prices now.. it was well worth the yucky taste!

When I was searching for "old" stamps, I remembered the Postcard. I'm not sure anyone uses them anymore .. but ..back in my day this is how the corner of a typical post card looked. ONE CENT! Hello?!

Here is today's new stamp... .41 cents! (good grief!) I think they are trying to make a letter a thing of the past!

book of 20.... 8.40

They've also issued a Forever stamp. They are self adhesive... which makes me wonder if they will still be self adhesive a year from now if someone actually bought enough to last that long... or longer.

The Postal Services new 41 cent "Forever" stamp is now on sale. The stamps can be used to send first-class mail from now until forever, no matter how much postage rates may rise.

The cost of a first-class stamp will increase from 39 cents on May 14.

The forever stamps are available online at usps.com, by calling (800) STAMP-24 (782-6724) or at your local post office.

For those of us unfortunate enough to have a flat or two of the old 39 cent stamps this is the 2 cent stamp you need to get to be able to use up the ones you have.
Navajo 2 cent stamp

It seems the Post Office needs a way to get the young folks to write letters instead of emailing so they've issued a flat of Star Wars stamps!

Star Wars sheet of 15 ....6.15 They are pretty cool looking... it may work!

Seeing all of those stamps, and especially the Star Wars sheet made me remember I had something (related) with a stamp on it and dug it out.

It's a commemorative cachet envelope from Star Trek.... 1991

Check out a close up of the 45 cent stamp on it! Pretty cool huh?

The artist is Keith Birdsong.. one of the very few artists that could actually paint DeForest right!


This Cachet was given to me by DeForest.. he signed the back.

It's one of those things I saved, but have no idea what to really do with it! Ah well.. I'm betting the 45 cent stamp isn't worth 45 cents anymore!

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I swear, one of these days we'll be paying $10 to mail in a bill. Oh well, whatcha gonna do? I must say those Star Wars stamps are pretty darn cool. I think I'm going to have to pick me up a sheet, but I definitely won't be using them!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey, that was a nice compilation entry!

For the past two weeks, everytime I heard about the postage increase, I could only think about the movie Fargo. The husband of the female state trooper was a stamp artist who had a piece selected to be a 2 cent stamp. He bemoaned the fact it was just a two cent stamp but she pointed out how important it would be when postage went up and everyone had to add 2 cents to their old stamps.

Funny:)

7:38 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Interesting post, Deslily. Considering what a letter has to go through to arrive at its destination, I guess 41 cents isn't that much, but I understanding what you're saying.

Maybe stamp collectors will get more for their collections as stamps are fast becoming a thing of the past! Ummmm...I might go out and buy some stamps! ;)

8:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Chris.. yeah i sorta like the SW stamps too lol..I may have to buy a sheet.

Chris (2nd chris)..there are some good stamp artists out there! I wonder why they never "push" them and always have a flag type "normal stamp"?

Lee: what's really nice about a stamp collector is that a whole lot can be kept in a small space!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

just wait until they figure out how to charge for E-MAIL!

that'll really suck but i wouldn't put it past Uncle Sam.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Ahhh - but the De Kelley signed thingy is priceless! What a lovely little thing.

Star Wars is 30 years old now so I'm not sure that 'young' necessarily is the market as it's fans are in their 30s and 40s. 'Not quite so young' bracket perhaps.

Maybe Paris Hilton stamps are next?

*Cringe*

I'd buy Star Trek ones. But never send them away. Jeez.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Love your Star Trek stamp and the DeForest Kelley autograph...I'm jealous! Tulsa, Ok...one of my former hometowns...has a yearly Star Trek convention that I still occasionally attend as it is only a 4 hour drive away. I regret not getting James Doohan's autograph the last time he was there. He looked so old and frail, but heck, he chose to be there so I shouldn't have been so stupid and shy and should've just done it. Not sure if they ever had DeForest there. I hate that these guys are dying off, as I do with any tv or movie stars that are aging that I enjoy.

Can't wait to pick up some Star Wars stamps despite the new cost!

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home