My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Star Wars 30th Anniversary

Friday, May 25th is Star Wars 30th Anniversary! Can this really be? Where the heck did 30 years go?? (being an old woman, I actually have the answer to that: 30 yrs all showed up in my butt, hips and stomach!)

I remember well, seeing Star Wars in the movie theaters. I had my sons with me, and they were entranced. ... while I sat there with a drool bucket that filled every time Hans Solo appeared! Hello? I wasn't blind!

Along with the most amazing movie I had ever seen, came an amazing artist .. Drew Struzan. If you didn't know him before, you know him now. Click on his link to see some other posters he's made... I'm sure you will recognize many of them.


Although I like the original first 3 movies more then the last three.. I'm glad George Lucas told the beginning of his story. I had hoped he'd do the ending but, hey, I'll take what I can get!

I hear there are a number of conventions and special events going on around the country to celebrate the 30th Anniversary... the only one I'd like to be at is one that Lucas would be at! (heh.. ok so there's a crush going on there). I don't know that he will be at any, but maybe that's something I should look into? hmmmm. (I did see Lucas, live and in person, once at the Director's Guild in Hollywood once. Whew...I'm not sure I breathed the whole time he was on stage! He's fascinating to watch.. you can literally SEE that his mind works faster then his mouth can talk !

Anyway... I did manage to get some of the posters by Struzan (not originals!) and I also collected a few autographs ......

Warwick Davis was the Ewok.

Sir Alec Guinness: Obi-wan (absolutely perfect casting!)

And the man who first dreamed it, then wrote it... then gave it to us! George Lucas.

And of course I will always be grateful to George Lucas and Star Wars for being so popular that it brought back Kirk, Spock and McCoy, and gave them a shot at the big screen!

Thanks again George, and Happy Anniversary Star Wars!

ps: did I mention that when I boot up my computer part of the Star Wars theme plays!

....'till next time..

6 Comments:

Blogger Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Lucas looks so young in that picture.

It is amazing though how Star Wars has remained in pop culture like this for 30 years. There are few things with this kind of longevity.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Great post! And great autographs! I'm going to do my Friday Favorite art post tomorrow on art from Star Wars so expect some Struzan work on there!

I hope to be able to squeeze in a viewing of A New Hope tomorrow night sometime in honor of the anniversary.

3:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Jon.. well..(whispering) Star Trek has lasted longer..heh.

Hi Carl: Oh good! I love Struzan! I have a number of his posters from ST and Indiana Jones.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Boy, you sure are a huge fan, Deslily. Great art work and pics. :)

12:05 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I always confused George Lucas for Barry Gibbs! LOL!

7:56 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

Han Solo is definitely drool worthy.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home