My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Rolling Along

I finished The Dragon Chronicles in just a few sittings. It could have been ONE sitting but the book was awkward and hard to hold so I rested . It was only 128 pages, and of that at least half were drawings and artwork.

It was clever though... the premise was that you were reading from the Journal of the Wizard Septimus Agorius as he and a group of others set out to do the Kings bidding of killing some Dragons in the Kingdoms.

I chose here a shorter post by Septimus as an example:

Day Nineteen:

This afternoon I felt that the time was right to speak to Bandred about what happened in the canyon and the conversation turned in due course to the responsibilities he would ultimately have to face as the future King. I praised hm for the bravery he had displayed on the high pass just a couple of days ago and conceded that we probably would have missed our best chance had he not revealed himself to the beast at that point, but I had also to admonish him for his recklessness. I explained that a Sovereign must never endanger himself so and he accepted my warning with good grace.

Truthfully, I may not have chosen to buy this book had I seen it in person and not at Amazon. Not that it wasn't good (but short).. just awkward. I did like it written as journal entries... that was different, and a nice break from the norm.

Next: I have 2 Leven Thumps books.. the third due out in September. I began reading the first this morning. I've only read 64 pages and I already am enjoying it. (I was writing this Friday for a post today... now I'm 168 pages into it and it's very good.) He has a really good artist, Ben Sowards, he did the cover art... and I love his pencil sketches inside the book. I'll post some under the book..


Leven Thumps

Hardcover: 348 pages
ISBN-10: 1590383699

Oklahoma orphan teen Leven Thumps has a hidden and powerfultalent: he can glimpse, and then manipulate, the future. He is also the only person on the planet who can protect the gateway to Foo, a mythical realm whose existence ensures that human beings in this reality retain the ability to dream, hope and imagine.

(Leven)

(Winter)

(Clover)

This is already an enjoyable read.. thankfully book 3 comes out in September, so I don't have all that long to wait for the ending!

***************************************

Yesterday, in the mail, came the last of the books I've ordered: by Mel Odom.

The Rover

These will be the last I buy for June and July. As I have to save my SS for a trip in July. My son wants me down in Ft Lauderdale Florida to see their new home. I jumped at the chance (since David is on a 2 week vacation, I can leave my brother for one of those weeks). I haven't see them since their wedding 2 yrs ago.. and haven't seen my grandson in that length of time either.

Oh btw.. my 12 yr old grandson, Brent... he loves to read! Oh yeah! He's been reading Harry Potter but I fully intend on getting him hooked on some of the recent young adult books I've been reading!! Oh yeah! oh yeah!

...'till next time....

6 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Your joy in these books is wonderful to read about Pat...Those are lovely sketches, by the way.
I hope you do get to Florida. That will be a nice break for you, I know!

About Bettie Page: It was the author of the book, Karen Essex, who found her....Sge lives somewhere in The Valley out here....And she became very religious though never putting herself down for the work she did. It is only now thaat she is reaping some of the rewards from the Hundreds of Thousands of images generated of her....
Life is funny, isn't it?

2:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm so glad to finally hear something about Leven Thumps! I've heard of the series for awhile now, but never took the time to read anything about it :/ I just figured someone would mention it sooner or later. Sounds good!

I'm so happy you're getting a little vacation! I can only imagine how you feel. Your grandson's lucky. Not many grandson's get to share their love of the same books with their grandma! He gets to learn from the best ;)

Now put them books down and get to packin!

Oh, and totally random question...have you ever read Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker series? It start's with Seventh Son. If not, I really think you'd like them. I've been wanting to tell you about those books for days now. I always think about you now when I think of that series. Just seems like something you'd like.

4:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: I remember just about all you are mentioning about Bettie Page.. but I don't have the book. This was something on television about her that mentioned it all. I don't remember what show it was and it was maybe 2 yrs ago.

Chris: never read those books I will check into them though.. I can't begin to thank you enough for possibly making my dang wish list longer! LOL

8:01 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Deslily, I have an old bookclub copy of the first 3 books of the series combined into one if you want it...It's a hardback, but the only problem is the print is tiny :( Would probably be a pain for you huh? If not, you're more than welcome to it!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Those interior illustrations are fantastic!

8:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: I agree! I found yet another artist I like.. sigh..I wonder how many that makes now? sheesh.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home