My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, June 01, 2007

'Splain Something to me Lucy...

I was looking at Amazon again today when it struck me odd... but maybe that's not the right word... what went thru my mind is more like, "what the H---?"

I don't understand why it's happening...

On the dustcovers (of which I love to see the artwork) on many books I noticed something over and over again,... and- I -don't- get -it!

Many books now have the authors name ABOVE and LARGER then the title of the book! What's with that?

I realize authors want their names out there but... bigger then the title of the book?? and ABOVE the title?? Every so often I found myself thinking their name was the name of the book before I found the title lower and smaller!

(I am not recommending any of the above books... as I have not read them!)

Will someone explain this to me? Is it a "new fad" for covers?? If it is, I can't say I like it much. I like to see the title and the cover art! Those are the first two things that draw me to a book. If I like the artwork for whatever reason, and the title sounds interesting, then I read inside the dust cover.

I don't need the authors name shoved in my face. First off I generally begin looking for books "according to authors"... my favorites first of course. Then when I am browsing, in general, it's still the title and art work that catch my attention... not the authors name!

Don't get me wrong... if the author is "unknown" to me and I get the book, I promise you I know the authors name before I finish reading the book!

I realize that some authors have been doing this for some time... but lately it seems MANY more are doing it... it's beginning to annoy me! I read a fair amount of books and believe me, I don't CARE who the author is when I begin a book...( I"m looking for material that I think I will enjoy.)... but no matter how small the authors name appears, I sure 'n' heck will remember the authors name if I liked the book.

Sheesh, meanwhile...

I finished the second book of Fablehaven, which I enjoyed. It picked up nearly a year after the first book. Summer vacation was about to begin for Kendra and Seth, and they get a call from Grandpa to come visit and help him because he has a broken leg... and the next adventure begins!

I was glad the first book ended in a way that you weren't going crazy for the next book. (the third book comes out in 2008). Book two was sounding much like it would end as the first book did, all nice and neatly tied up.. wrong! The very last page gives you a hint of what is to come. Well.. poop! Now I have to wait!

Next I am starting a small book called Hatching Magic by Ann Downer.



I noted that her name was above the title.. but at least I see the Title First!!! (cute cover art too!) It's another young adult book, and not real long so this will be a quickie. I have the second book of the series waiting... then I get to wait for the 3rd book... which OF COURSE isn't out yet!

Good Gravy Marie... I've got to stop getting books where they all aren't out yet!! I never did this before, but ever since Inkheart, it seems that's all I've found! And I get to wait for the last of the Inkheart series until next year too! (seriously groaning here)....

Ok enough of this...

I'm sorry all i seem to be writing about lately is books.. I guess the need is such that I "escape" more then usual. At least I enjoy it at the same time!

...'till next time...

8 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

Being a big champion of good cover art, I cannot say that I've ever noticed where they place the authors name in relation to the title. I have certainly noticed that on occasions both the title and/or the author's name are larger than need be to attract attention. I would assume some marketing research went in to this fad, would love to read about the why's and wherefor's.

9:10 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: if it's due to marketing research, the marketer must have one hellava ego problem! sheesh.

11:30 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I haven't noticed that about the authors names---but maybe I will take a further look at this on Amazon. It is strange, but the publishers must agree to it or it wouldn't happen.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ooh, I like the Hatching Magic cover...may have to add that one to the wish list as well.

Strange about the author's names. I don't really understand that. You figure most people are going to buy people whose name's they know already anyway. It's not like someone's going to be walking through a store and see an author's name in giant print and say "oh wow, now that's a really nice name that I've never heard of before...I've gotta spend $24.95 on that book!" Why not use the extra space on putting a good title in larger font? I don't get it.

12:57 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I will add a photo.. I didn't want to promote authors that I don't even know though lol

Chris: Me either! lol

1:04 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I have noticed the trend to feature the author, not the story. Kind of silly IMO. That book cover is very cool. I'm almost done with Magyk right now and I've really enjoyed it. I think I'll be picking up Flyte shortly.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hmmm egomania on the author's part? Something to do with pop culture?

Chris
My Blog

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Narcissism at work. Not that I would know anything about that.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home