My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday...

As some know.. my brother is disabled. At 50 he had a stroke and is paralyzed on his right side (he was right handed).. at 60 he had a heart attack and quadrouple bypass. He's also diabetic and high cholesterol and blood pressure.. in other words, .. he's a mess. I live with him and David and help take care of him while David works, because he can't be left alone.

Anyway... before he had all that happen he was a dress designer/ artist. After his stroke, of course, all of that ended. About 2 yrs after his stroke he tried drawing on t-shirts, with his left hand, and found that he could at least do that much. Although not the quality I am used to seeing from him, they aren't bad either.

One day he painted the shirt I am showing below.

He was, as one can see, copying some Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post drawings...

This one, in particular, caught my eye. A Boy reading... and you can tell what he's reading by the background. There you see a Knight, and Princess, with a castle off in the distance.

So even though it's a size 2X I claimed it for my own. I like big baggy shirts anyway, so it suited me fine. Plus it reminded me of my books and the reading I do. When he paints these shirts they are for presents or giving away, since they aren't original drawings but copies of others work, he can't sell them.. but painting them helps keep him occupied.

I haven't posted in the past few days because we had to put my brother back in the hospital... it happens fairly regular. (so don't worry) This time for Cellulitis in his legs. They will treat it there and then send him home, barring any unforeseen problems, which do crop up now and then.

Anyway, getting him settled there and then the beginning of "hospital visits" (which I hate) my regular day was disrupted. Now that it's "norm" until he comes home again, I will try to post again.

Whenever there is change in my "routine" my mind wanders... or rather... goes on "auto" and I don't think much at all ..heh., nothing too new there!

At least I backed up my computer today.. that got my head working on something that needed to be done. I do that once a month, it takes about an hour to back up on 3 cds. Now that's done for another month.. yippee!

I hope everyone had/ is having a nice weekend!

...'till next time....


10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow, your family definitely has some artistic genetics going on! His work is amazing! And I've always loved yours (always...like I've known you forever :p)

Anyways, I admire your strength Deslily. I work with people with disabilities for a living as a personal care attendant and I absolutely love my work....but I get to go home at the end of the day. It's great that you do all that you do. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your brother and hope that all turns out well. Go get some reading done!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hell, I can't draw that good with two good hands and no physical impairments!

Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog

2:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Thanks Chris.. yeah it would be nice if evenings and weekends and vacations were mine lol..

Chris: I know the feeling lol.. not sure why one gets the talent and the other doesn't with the same parents..sigh

3:40 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

You have GOTTA be KIDDING me! He does THAT with his LEFT hand? Hooooooly schmoly! I can't even begin to imagine his talent when he could use his right hand! WOW! Those artistic genes run DEEP in your family, huh? AWESOME!

Pat, I have chosen YOUR blog for a wee little bit of HONOR over on MY blog -- come see!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Wow your brother is great. I can't draw with either hand, or write very well for that matter. :)

Hope he is doing better.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow. That picture is FANTASTIC! And you say it isn't bad? He must have been something in his day! I don't have an artistic bone in my body, that's for sure. I really hope your brother is feeling better soon. I know how special brothers can be.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Asara said...

*hugs*

I hope he comes out ok, let us know!

11:07 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I think those are amazing drawings---copies or not---when you know that your brother was right handed! He must have been really something in his day...! I hope he gets that cellitus under control quickly...! And, you certainly did a good good thing "backing-up_ your computer, Pat...

And I like nice big baggy loose clothing, too....I bet that T-Shirt looks Fabulous "on" too!

11:58 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli: glad you like the tshirt.. I do too! lol which is why i claimed it for myself haha

Charles: most people jokingly say that they can't draw a straight line when looking at others work..truth is most art has no straight lines! lol

Stephanie.. yes, he drew a whole lot better before his stroke! Many things "just aren't right" now but before you could never say that.


Thanks Asara..he'll be ok.. never good, always a bit worse, but he'll probably be home this week.

Naomi: LOL I think the "big baggy clothes" is an age thing.. it's called "COMFORT"! LOL..

12:42 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

So sorry to hear about your brother. I hope all is well soon. Love the painted shirt! He's very talented, especially if that is with his non-dominant hand!

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home