My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Art in Books

The Brothers Hildebrandt...

Because of my latest book covers, I got to thinking about the Brothers Hildebrandts Art work and dragged out both the art book and my trade paperbacks of Shannara. Indeed Hildebrandt did the cover and illustrations in The Sword of Shannara.

(cover)

(illustration inside)

But Darrell K Sweet (I also have a book of his artwork) did the cover art for books 2 and 3 of the series.

Below are two paintings by Hildebrandt from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings...

(above) "The Fellowship"

(below) Gandalfs Return

There was one other thing that set me looking into my Hildebrant art book.. it was this cover art for a 4th book by Mel Odom... A Quest for the Trilogy.... I kept thinking, "gee, that picture looks familiar".. well.. duh.. yeah, it does! It's in the Hildebrant art book.. originally it was Bilbo Baggins!... now it's being used as Grandmagister Juhg. And I have to admit... it fits both characters excellently!

Hildebrandt's art book came out in 1979, but he did the paintings for Sword of Shannara in 1977. The Hildebrandt Brothers also put out a number of Fantasy Calendars, including a 1978 Tolkien Calendar.

In 1979 there was a book made by the Hilderbrandt Bros. and Jerry Nichols called Urshurak. You can only find it used now, but along with a story, it's filled with artwork.

... in color (below)...

.... and (below) black and white drawings. All done by the Hildebrandt Brothers.

Of course, now that I dragged that book out to snap a few pictures, I've found that it's not in the best of shape.. so here I go again trying to "replace" a book. The worst part of buying used off of the web is not being able to actually see the condition it's in.

Most sellers are pretty accurate.. but you do run across some that are not. *sigh*


7 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

They are/were definitely talented artists. There are some really nice Star Wars paintings that they did over the years.

I often send emails to sellers just to get a little more detail about the condition of something before I buy it.

8:33 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Carl.. I email them.. but at times what you think is in good condition and what I think is good condition, aren't always the same. For the most part I've been lucky with used books though.

8:40 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I am fascinated on how these brithers worked on these drawings together? They are BEAUTIFUL renderings---ALL! The detail in all these paintings is quite extrorinaray....Amazing!

About Bush: He IS the very worst. No one comes close to the ineptness, arrogance and stupidity...!
This is as close as we have ever come to seeing a Distorship with TWO Dictators....Dartyh Vadar there in his hiding places..Pulling the Puppitt Strings! HELP!!!

12:47 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I used to be fascinated by the drawings in the Shannara books. I remember that artwork well.

12:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Naomi: I don't know how they do their work, but the Hildebrandt Brothers have been around a really long time!

SQT: me too! lol.. I love when there are some drawings in the book as you read.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

All the illustrations you have, Deslily would be great framed and hung (if anyone could afford to do so, of course!)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Fantastic art work. I just bought a replacement book of the net and unfortunately it was badly scratched. But they took it back ... and that's the first time that's happened to me.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home