My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Book Report Time

The past few days here have been unbelievably hot! Which, unless you are very young, means that the heat and humidity keeps you sluggish and sleepy! Not much gets done!

But it's about to come to an end (for a few days anyway) with another front approaching. And OF COURSE, the front will come in as : SEVERE AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS WITH LIGHTENING AND POSSIBLE HAIL.

I can't tell you how sick I am of that sentence! I'm not sure if the news people just latched onto the words: Severe and Dangerous and "Possible" and can't seem to let go of them.. or if our weather has changed so much that this is the new "norm". I sure hope it's not the new norm!

I also hate it because they say these things and then I have to go and unplugging all the wires to my computer and dsl box and then I get to look at a dark screen. *pout* Then when it rains but no lightening, no thunder and no hail arrive, I get... ummm.. ticked off. I just wish they wouldn't try to scare everyone when it's not necessary. Instead, they give it "all the same" for a Tri-State area... ummm, how the storm is in NY is NOT always the same in NJ. *sigh*

Ok.. gunna get off the soap box... here comes my latest book news.


So.. I just completed this trilogy with Lord of the Libraries (which got very exciting and an excellent conclusion to the trilogy! I really enjoyed these books and the characters that made the adventure all that more interesting) when I discover Mr Odom has released yet another book. (well, actuallyI discovered it a few weeks ago, about mid-way through Lord of the Libraries)

The Quest for the Trilogy

Hardcover: 464 pages
Publisher: Tor Books (March 20, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0765315173

At first I thought it was the trilogy I had just finished reading put into one book. (this has been done before by others)

But.. it's not. (shaking my head).. so.. I ordered it. I had to wait until the release date of a Margaret Weis book so I could order them together and not get the shipping price added to them.

Thank you Mr Odom *sigh* Lord of the Libraries my foot... more like, Lord help me afford all these books! ARGH! Let me warn anyone out there in my age group.. (old!).. Social Security does not pay enough to buy all the books you want! I am seriously beginning to realize that sooner (rather than later) I will be forced to give up this "hobby" of reading!

Thank goodness I enjoy rereading the books I have!

Ok.. so.. my next venture into a book is going to be... The Unexpected Apprentice

Author: Jody Lynn Nye
Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Tor Books (June 12, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0765314339

Book Description... (via Amazon.com)

Halfling Tildi Summerbee has led a typical, unexciting life, tending the house for her brothers while they manage the family farm. Her days are boring, but happy...until a Thraik attack decimates her family.

In an effort to provide for Tildi, the town's leaders prepare an arranged marriage and take control of her farm's assets. After all, a female halfling is incapable of handling such matters on her own.

Tildi sees things differently.

In order to escape her arranged marriage and overcome the prejudices against the "weaker" sex, she decides to pass herself off as a man. Assuming the guise of her brother Teldo, Tildi disappears into the night. She plans to accept Teldo's position as an apprentice to a great wizard.

But she soon finds that the rest of the world isn't very welcoming to halflings. And that she is surrounded by fantastic dangers.

Dangers that are more than a match for a wizard's apprentice.


Sounds like something I will enjoy.. so I'll give it a try!

On the flap of the dust cover (which I always remove while reading) I was surprised to see a blurb by Mel Odom, who's trilogy I just finished!

It went like this: "Did you ever wonder how things might have been different if Fodo or Bilbo had been a female?" Hmmm, well that helped peek my interest!

I don't want to forget to mention that the cover art is by: Michael Kaluta.

O.K.. enough writing... time to go and begin the new book!..

...'til next time....


5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I love Kaluta's cover art for the new book! Why do books have to be so darn expensive...I probably could've bought a small house with the money I've spent on books in my life :p

1:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

OK...you've talked me into it. I have to read a Mel Odom book! The covers are great!

2:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: no shit! me too!

Steph: Lol well I hope you like them... I'm fairly easily pleased so it's hard for me to judge "if it's good enough" that others will like it like I do..

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I always feel like I've cut off my right hand/arm when I have to unplug everything or the power goes off! Then I have to sit around and twiddle my thumbs. Out come the candles and the book! ;)

7:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Lee: no kidding! Just knowing that YOU CAN'T go to your computer does something to my brain lol..

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home