My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Brent, Me, and the Book Store

**Warning** there are a killer amount of photo's on this post!**


As grandson's go, I sure got me a great one! (he's not mine by birth as Kat had Brent by her first marriage)... but If I could pick a grandson.. Brent would be it! And I'm not just saying that to be nice... I wish he was mine by blood birth!

So.. Brent and I had a special outing all by ourselves. Kat had some work to do and dropped us of at........ are you ready for this?..... Borders Book Store! heh.. trust me, that was no accident! Brent had a 20.00 gift certificate that was burning a hole in his pocket!

Not all young boys like to read.. but Brent does! (I told you he was perfect to be my grandson!)

We arrived at Borders and I immediately pulled out my camera. (what's a grandma for if she doesn't have a camera?) We waved good-by to Kat and went in with smiles on our faces.

We headed directly to the Young Adult/ Kids section of the store, and we were both thrilled to see that they had a mighty selection to choose from. Besides having a number of rows of books they had some really nice displays too... and Brent checked them all out!

It was probably a good half hour (or more) before we took a seat to see what we had been collecting so far...

When we were at home he had shown me some books he had. Two of them were from a Trilogy, that he hadn't started reading yet. He was waiting to get the missing book. When we found it there I told him I would get it for him. It's the one with the dragon eye on the cover, titled Fire Within by Chris D'lacey. He also was contemplating a Lemony Snicket book. He was skeptical about it being hardback because of the price (he wanted as much as he could for his 20.00! Love this kid!) So of course I said that I would get it, so keep looking!

One book Brent found was really neat! The Pirateology book. By William Captain Lubber. This is an interactive book and is filled with all sorts of extra little things to look into! Brent loved it but it would have taken his full amount of his gift card, so he said.. it's ok... nothing that special. But you know there was no way I was letting that book stay there! lol... and it paid off BIG TIME!

(By the time we left the store.. this was our take home pile! )

Once home Brent couldn't keep his hands off of the Pirate book lol..

And below.... well... this is where it paid off ! Off and on for the next three days, in between summer homework of reading, he read the entire book to me out loud!

He really reads good! He's 11 and he pronounced words that amazed me!! My grandson has a definite talent towards doing voice-over work !! If my mom read to me when I was young, I don't remember it... so this was the first time I ever remember having been read to! Hello?! Can we say, I was a happy camper?!

There was all this fine reading being done to me... but I have to fess up here..

ALL those books pictured above weren't all for Brent. (most but not all!)

I was so amazed at the amount of creativity they put into the kids books compared to adult books that... well... I couldn't leave empty handed..heh.

THIS is grandma's hord!

The Middle book, Dragonsdale by Salamanda Drake, well... the cover alone took my heart! The book doesn't just "open".. it unfolds! The dragons head and title fold off to the right, and then the "normal cover" opens to the left. Once inside it's filled with wonderful drawings throughout the book! I remember thinking as I flipped through it, why aren't more adult books made like this? There's so much art and graphics that make them so much more interesting and fun!!... so I bought it. (duh)

(sample drawing)

And what can I say? I was jealous of all the wonderful things Brent was having that my books didn't have... so I added 2 more!

Wizardology and Dragonology. These are smaller versions of Brents Pirateology book. They aren't interactive (but they come in that form also).

(sample from Dragonology book) and below samples from Wizardology book.

So... that's my trip with Brent... his treasures... and my treasures... what I need to end this post I don't have. That would be a photo of Brent and I holding hands walking off into our own Fantasy land!

Gawd, it's great being a kid!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

What a cool kid! I'm so glad to see him reading all these cool books at such a young age and it's so great that he has you to share that love of fantasy with.

Don't you love all of those "-ology" books. I eye them up every time I go to the bookstore, but I've yet to buy any of them. They're so cool looking!

4:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pamela
URL: http://www.thedustwillwait.blogspot.com

he looks just like harry potter
how did you manage that???

I'm amazed at all your book reading. I'm just getting started in the last potter book

7:24 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

ROFLMBO! I knEW it! I TOLD you you wouldn't leave that store with ONLY books for Brent! *dances off singing* Told ya so, told ya so...

5:30 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli: you crack me up! lol.. I needed that laugh.. thank you! hahahaha

5:37 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Isn't great that Brent loves his books and reading! I think that's wonderful. He sounds like a terrific young lad. :)

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Quixotic said...

Fantastic! Lovely that your grandson reads so well.

The -ology books are great. I have the Dragonology books on my shelf. My nephew is the same age as Brent, and he has a few of the ology books, and they have been a big hit with him too. They really are very well presented.

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home