My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Care to enter a Contest?

I discovered Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings a number of months ago. I found his blog at the right moment, one might say. He was hosting a challenge. I came to find out this isn't unusual for Carl. The result of his Challenge would be a prize for some lucky person, at the end of the given time. His challenges all surround reading. (I bet you knew that was coming). The one I stumbled on was to read Fantasy books and leave "reviews" for others. Need I say those reviews lead me to a purchasing a number of books!

Anyway.. as I went around to some of these book blogs I discovered there were other sites that did "give away's" of books. So far I've only gotten lucky once, heh. But still I started noticing how people who may not have read much, were rallying around and were becoming more of a reader than they had been before.

To me, this was really cool! Not all the blogs out there that I found were Fantasy (my personal favorite), but it didn't matter.. these folks were enjoying reading!

I liked the idea of give away's and Challenges... so I thought it, and although I am basically house bound and, well.. not very rich, (understatement!) I still wanted to do something. As much as I enjoyed all the reviews I had been reading, I began to be able to tell when someone enjoyed the book they read .. or..really enjoyed that book!

That part stuck with me and I began to wonder if others felt as I did about certain books, or rather I want to say certain characters in those books. Since I am such a character driven person in my reading, I thought I would try to have a "contest" of sorts myself.

But I didn't want to do what others did..

I didn't want to do "themes"..

I didn't want to do "read X amount in a certain time"..

I wanted to know more about why certain characters stand out to you. Who and why are there some characters in a book (and I mean ANY type of book..not just Fantasy) that you just can't forget. Or one that you just can't read enough of that certain character.

So I thought I'd have a contest, .. the only thing you have to do to enter is...write a post! And to make it even easier, this character doesn't have to be in a new read ! So you don't even have to read something new to enter.

Pretty easy huh? Ok, so write a post and make sure I get the link..heh, that would help.

I want the post to be about a character in a book that you really like. One that for whatever reason, you can't seem to forget. Or one that you related to. Or one that made you laugh. Just make it about a character you can't seem to forget. Tell about how you found this character, and most of all... why you like him/ her/ it... post it before August 3rd and leave a link so that others can read your post.

I do have a slight problem though.. I am hoping everyone can leave their links at my blogspot journal. As most know, I keep a copy of my journal in aol as well as on blogspot (and even in wordpress). Don't ask why.. it's a long story lol. Anyway, if you could leave the links on blogspot I'd appreciate it, since I want everyone to be able to see the links so that they might go around and read the others posts. If you have difficulty leaving the link in comments, go ahead and put it on the journal you are reading. I will be away next week, but I'll have internet access so I will try my best to copy them over to blogspot.

This contest will not be JUDGED! It doesn't matter if you are a writer or not. It will not be judged on content! It's strictly on the fact that you took the time to tell everyone about one of your favorite characters from something you have read.

On Aug. 4th I will copy all the names from the links, put them in a bowl and have my brother pull a name out for a winner.

I have a few things I've gathered for a "prize" for the winner. The first is this t-shirt.


The shirt is large.. a 2X to be exact. Now that may sound outrageous but.. some people, like me, like to "cover up"..heh. But those who don't need that could easily use this as a nite-shirt to sleep in.

The shirt was hand painted by my brother for me to use especially for this contest...

Above and below you can see the artist doing finishing touches.

The other prizes consist of: The first 4 paperbacks of the Harry Potter books. (read once, no marks, no bent pages!), a Dr. McCoy book marker (I bet you're surprised that I would have that around..yeahright) and a colossal card of a painting called "No Passage" that was painted by Ken Kelly It's autographed by the artist. This I can guarantee since I was the one who obtained it from Ken. (the card is 6 1/2 X 10)

Here's a close up of the front and back of the card.

So.. that's the prize package. . I hope the prize package will make some of you take on the challenge and write a really great post about one of your favorite characters from a book you just can't forget!

(Prize Package!)


*******************************************************

I know.. most reading about this Contest don't think I enjoy anything except Fantasy..

Well.. you're Close!..heh.. but I do read an occasional Biography and some books on our Original Astronauts.. in fact on my Amazon wish list I have a few such books waiting..

Like: The Search for John Ford (movie director)

This is what Publishers Weekly says on this book:
After being called the "greatest poet of the Western saga," film director Ford responded, "I am not a poet, and I don't know what a Western saga is. I would say that is bullshit." Yet Ford--who made such classic westerns as Stagecoach, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance--helped define the idea of the western as a quintessential American story for audiences around the world. (see?! Not Fantasy!)

I also have Ron Howard: From Mayberry to the Moon..and Beyond on the list (actor/ director) Some of the movies he's directed that I love are:

A Beautiful Mind ..

Apollo 13 ..

Far and Away ..

Backdraft ..

Willow..

Cocoon (I bet you are noticing yet another obsession huh?!)

For Astronauts I have Rocketman: Astronaut Pete Conrad's Incredible Ride to the Moon and Beyond on my want list.


A book not yet written.. which I would buy up right away if it ever is writtenwould be on Nick Meyer (director/ writer). I was lucky and got to actually meet him once and watch him at work direction a scene from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country! Some of his many credits that I really like are:

Sommersby (1993) (screenplay) (story)

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (screenplay/ director)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (screenplay)

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982) (screenplay/ director

Time After Time


So see there!.... I do have other interests!... even if they do sorta all get bundled together, heh.

22 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

This is great! I'm definitely joining in :) I'll post when I get back in town. What a prize package too! That t-shirt is priceless. I was amazed by it when you first posted it. Beautiful work.

3:25 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: good boy! I've trained you well lol.. this shirt is a new one! I remember now that I posted a picture of the one he had made that I told him I wanted for myself. But this one is a brand new one.. still stiff with paint lol. whoever wins it will need to wash and dry it before wearing.. but I didn't want to do that, cause it would look like it wasn't newly painted. Good luck in the contest! Can't wait to see what character (or characters) you write about!! There are so many to choose from!!!!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Sounds great! I love how you took separate pics of the prizes and then a group pic...nicely done!

I will definitely be doing this...next week sometime...as I am away from the blog for a few days while in Nebraska. I'm not big on the dial up my parents have!

I look forward to posting about mine!

1:16 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

from aol comments:

Comment from: mutualaide
"Oh gosh, I am intrigued .... and think I will think on my most favorite character and what it is about him that I do like. He's a detective. If I ever commented in my blog about books ...

.... well, and I was thinking Pat ... this is a great way to make and meet new friends.

I'll do my best to get on this and make an entry and post it soon ... or at least before August!

7:52 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

from aol comments:

Gee.... what if you have a LOT of characters that you love! LOL! Hmmm... I'll have to think about this one!
#1 Comment from astaryth

7:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl.. thanks Carl! I figured you and Chris would give it a go.. you both like writing about a book you really enjoy without any contest!

Now I hope I can get the aol folks to comment over here for the contest! but until then I will try to paste them here myself.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

:( you know reading makes me sleepy.

That shirt is "off the hook" (that means GREAT).

If I pay him, you think your brother could do one with a Dragon on it?

10:49 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I'll have to give this some thought Pat...And I'll see if I can come up with something...I am assuming it can be an Autobiography, too? Maybe? Let mr know.

As to your question: No, that flowrer is not Burrows Tail....I cannot think of the name of that succulant but I will try to take a picture of the whole plant with Flower....It is in a pot on my Deck!

3:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi.. well.. it's my contest and I say yes! lol.. I had thought to mention that it could be a biography or autobiography but then for no reason at all.. I didn't write it! So now everyone knows!
Thanks for asking!

remember if you do a post for the contest to come back and leave a link!!!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Oh! Dear! I'm going to have to come back to this in the morning and read it all through more thoroughly!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Your brother is an amazing artist!
What a fantastic t-shirt!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Karmyn R said...

Sounds like fun - I will get to it and come back with my link!!!!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey! I've got my post up on my blog now: http://chrisa511.blogspot.com/2007/07/characters-that-haunt-mind.html

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Chelle said...

Thank you for offering this wonderful challenge! And it was just that, too, because while I knew in my head what made the characters I chose so special, it was incredibly hard to try to write it out. Ah, well. Again, thanks, and here's the link to my post:

http://persephonereads.wordpress.com/2007/07/28/179/

2:27 PM  
Blogger jenclair said...

Oh, I know who I'm going to use! Today as I was on my way home, I was thinking of her for some reason. Will return when I complete the post!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Here is my post:

http://blbooks.blogspot.com/2007/08/fun-contest.html

8:41 PM  
Anonymous jean pierre said...

what a fun question! i think about this kind of thing all the time! :)

here is the link to my post:

http://jpderosnay.wordpress.com/2007/08/03/the-duke/

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Wow!! I'm so glad I found you through Karmyn. My baby is finally old enough I'm beginning to read again, and I have SO missed it.

I'd LOVE the chance to write on this topic! However, it is the 4th, and I won't be able to post until tomorrow.

Maybe you can still consider my post for the contest if I tell you that I still think of Madeline L'Engle's Meg from A Wrinkle in Time.

I could just HUG you for inspiring me to think about books again!!!

7:47 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Stephanie: the contest has been extended for the weekend! I posted a "Reminder" above... I hope you join in!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

This is me skirting in under the wire LOL! This was a hard topic for me. I could write an entry a day about favorite characters for at least a month... and still probably have material left over. I hope you enjoy my choice. I decided to go against character and post about a character that people might not expect from me. Hope you enjoy the entry!
http://adventuresofaneclecticmind.blogspot.com/2007/08/favorite-character-contest-entry.html

12:33 PM  
Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

Here's mine at last, five hours in the making and posted at the last possible second. I think I'll go tweak it a bit.

Karen

http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/2007/08/unforgettable-i-hope.html

12:08 AM  
Anonymous anal asian hot sexy slut teen said...

devastate may fit Ukrainian Girls Ukrainian girls everywhere like pretty blondnika named Natasha sat down and sometimes you find Natahsa snoring off spending a curious fucking little bit Ukrainian girls might have the used condom for nothing. (ie. Usual rip off spending up close anal teen girls

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home