My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Little of This... A Little of That

Remember this?...

Well, I'm still wearing it! Still on crutches... still miserable!

Two weeks ago I had a second xray.. the doctor said, it's doing "ok".. whatever that's worth. He did say I could use just one crutch as long as it's just a small amount of walking around the house. (Finally, I can carry my cup of coffee !!) But.. ah, yes, there is always a but... in two weeks I go for yet ANOTHER xray! Pahleeze, don't ask how tired I am of it all !

I took the below photo the other day.. since then I have read even more and am only one chapter away from finishing "book two", The Subtle Knife!

Some time ago I purchase a book called The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, it has raving reviews. Knowing this is going to be a Trilogy, I decided to set it aside in the TBR pile until I could get the second book, which was due out next April '08. I know I would still have a long wait for the final installment, but at least I'd have sufficient background to remember what it was all about. Since then I have read that the second book, A Wise Mans Fear, will not get release until April of 09! ARGH! I sure hope it's worth waiting for! For now, I guess I will set that book away where I can't see it!

Kester also checked out a few of those TBR books in the pile...

... I finally have a copy of Hounds of the Baskervilles to read!.. sometime soon.. really!...honest!... soon!

..and I will continue two more stores from Laurie R King on Mary Russell. (So far my favorite is still The Moor.) .. I can't say I'm fond of the new covers for the new releases of these books.. If I didn't know what her writing and stories were like I may have skipped these... I would have much rather had a used hardback copy with the original art work on the dustcovers. Ah well, thankfully they will read just as well...

Ok, that catches up with any happenings here... time to go rest the foot and finish reading The Subtle Knife, and begin the last of that trilogy, The Amber Spyglass.


...'till next time...

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Great bunch of books :) I was worrying about you not posting yesterday ;) You know it's sad when we start worrying when we don't post for just one day!! LOL..it's been much longer than one day for me though.

Anyway, Kester's looking cute as always ;) I have The Name of the Wind up to be read for 2008 for the Cardathon challenge and I'm really looking forward to it. That sucks that we have to wait til 09 for the next book!! That's so long! Oh well, it's not like I don't have anything to read in between.

I agree with you on the covers of the Mary Russel books. I liked the other 2 much better than these.

11:40 AM  
Blogger cj said...

Oh dear. I'd forgotten about your poor foot! Doctors are such wonderful folks, aren't they? Geez. "Okay". That could mean just about anything.

I'll ask Santa to stick a little quick healing in his bag for you.

I love Hound of The Baskervilles and Rebecca.

cjh

12:14 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh man. Sorry to hear your foot is only doing OK. Doesn't really make you feel all warm and fuzzy, does it?? I hope you feel better soon!!

I put The Name of the Wind on my wishlist this year. I really want to read it soon!!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Your foot is still bad? Gosh, sorry to hear that. What a nuisance.

You must read The Hound of the Baskervilles, it's excellent. I'm on a Holmes kick at the moment, reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and just having watched a doc. about Conan Doyle tonight. He really was a reluctant writer of the Holmes adventures. I'm also going to order The Beekeeper's Apprentice soon.

6:25 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: Well The Name of the Wind goes to the BOTTOM of the tbr list! Book 2 was supposed to come out THIS April.. *sigh*..oh well Hopefully the pages won't turn brown before book 2 comes out LOL

Thanks cj.. I can use all the help I can get lol.. I love both movies Hound of the Baskervilles and Rebecca so I thought I'd read them to see what actually got left out! I know I'll like them..

Steph: thanks for the wellwishes, if only huh?! lol..
Everything I've read review wise says Name of the Wind is really good..I'll watch for your review!

Cath: Oh I'll read that soon! I was thinking of getting a biography of Doyle that's due out next month.. kinda iffy on it though. Beekeeper's Apprentice was a good read! (but I liked The Moor better!)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh my gosh! HOW are you managing to take care of your brother while on crutches? Do you have help??? I am adding you to my prayer list... and kickin' myself in the head for not visiting more often these days! I'm really sorry... I DO hope it heals soon!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I agree, those covers aren't the best.

Isn't that cover for Rebecca great? Eventhough I already own a smaller paperback of the book I was tempted to buy this one last month when I saw it in the store because the cover is so great...I may still do so. Wonderful book.

Sorry the recovery is going slow. Mary's has gone slow as well and continues to do so, but eventually she turned the corner and you will too. It will end...

11:46 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Doyle was certainly an interesting man, but frustrated. He wanted to write serious historical novels like Sir Walter Scott but all anyone wanted from him was Sherlock Holmes.

I'll probably read the series of Mary Russell books and get to The Moor eventually. Oddly enough, I rather like those covers but assume our UK ones will be different.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

I actually like the King covers.

6:02 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Love how you do the "cartooning" Pat....you are so adept at this...I think it is FABULOUS!! (And very cute, too...!)

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home