My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A Newberry Winner

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Hardcover: 192 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin; Ill edition (October 29, 1990)
ISBN-10: 0395536804


This book was inspired by the real-life story of a 12-year-old American Indian girl, Karana who, during the evacuation of Ghalas-at (an island off the coast of California), jumped ship to stay with her young brother who had been abandoned on the island. He died shortly thereafter, and Karana fended for herself on the island for 18 years. Karana forages on land and in the ocean, clothes herself and secures shelter.

This edition of Island of the Blue Dolphins is enriched with 12 full-page watercolor paintings by Ted Lewin.. here are two of his paintings..

"fighting sea elephants"


... sea otters.

I'm not sure what made me send for this book... but it is an amazing read when you know that such a thing actually occurred! The paintings help bring Karana's story to life and make it all the more interesting. A Newberry Medal winner that I will gladly keep in my collection to read again some day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I have not read this book, but I defnitely want to some day. I don't think there has been a Newberry Winner yet that I've disliked. So many great YA books!! One day, I will work my way through the entire list!

12:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Steph: I couldn't believe that this book is actually pretty old! It's just a new printing of it.. and yes, I think you'd enjoy it.

12:59 PM  
Blogger MartyAnn said...

Ok, so my comment that I'm posting is off topic, but I think you should know that there is a new Star Trek movie being filmed. It takes place during the early years. Nemoy is casted but Shatner is not, which made him mad. Any way, here is the link to some of the info

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/editorials/article/2312154.html

Karl Urban is cast as Dr. McCoy. Trekkies are uncertaion about this 11th movie. please read the article and post your opinion. I'm really intrested to know because of you frendship with the late DeForest Kelley. It really urks me when stuff like that happens.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

that book looks wonderful

7:23 PM  
Blogger Nymeth said...

The illustrations are absolutely stunning. And the book sounds like something I'd like to read.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home