My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

To Boldly go...

On another post I was left a comment asking me my opinion on the upcoming new Star Trek Movie...

Karl Urban is cast as Dr. McCoy. Trekkies are uncertaion about this 11th movie. please read the article and post your opinion. I'm really intrested to know because of you frendship with the late DeForest Kelley. It really urks me when stuff like that happens.

Ok, first things first... yes, I loved Star Trek. But a "trekkie" I am not. Trekkie's can tell you EVERYTHING and ANYTHING about Star Trek.... whereas, my brain is a bit, well.. a bit like having CRS if you know what I mean. I didn't go in for details, I just watched because I enjoyed it... and of course most of all I enjoyed Dr. McCoy! To this day I love what the writers did for DeForest's character! He was so cantankerous!! ..and De was such a wonderful actor.. they just meshed.

Anyway, getting back to the original question on what I think about them making a new movie without the original cast, which of course is an impossibility.

I guess I'm not against a prequel. I think Gene (Roddenberry) would have liked that. In fact, were he alive, I'm sure he would have done one way before now! I also think that having had "Enterprise" air when it did, sorta opened the door wider for this to happen by someone other than Gene.

What makes me laugh in all of this is that Paramount went and sold everything and anything dealing with Star Trek! So now, they will have to build the Enterprise all over again... gotta love Paramount!

Now.. as to who is going to be cast as who...

I borrowed the photo's below from the Star Trek website..



Ok, right off the bat I will say that I don't know much about any of the actors/ actress that are going to play the young version of the originals.

Secondly: the obvious.. they had better find a way to match up hair color and eye color, because most of these people don't match at all.. and Trekkies will notice that right offthe bat. Heck even I did !

Chris Pine looks like a handsome fellow, as Shatner was.. wrong hair color and eye color though, things like that just don't change with age...except to go gray! I can only hope Pine can do a good imitation of his way of speaking too.. this was made fun of for so many years it would now stick out like a sore thumb if he spoke differently. These people are going to need to capture the little things about the originals to make anyone believe they are the younger version of the original cast.



I believe Leonard is signed to do something in this movie.. but no idea what. It does look as though they will have as much work on Quinto's eyebrows as theywill on the pointy ears!



Well.. talk about hair color!... I hope his voice is deep and he does a good Scottish Accent... and of course, he has to be a miracle worker.



Ahhh Walter.. such a cutie with such a wonderful smile... they will have to straighten Anton's hair, or give him a wig... but the question is: can he talk with a Russian accent out of the side of his mouth?



And Nichelle!.. such a beauty!.. put a wig on her today and she could replay her part! I hope Zoe can pull off being the lady Nichelle is.



Hmmm, now this one could be something lol.. if anyone has heard George laugh, you'd know that no one could imitate that! Again I don't know this actor, so I can only hope.



De, De, De... sigh. Of course you know that in MY mind, no one can play McCoy but DeForest!

Karl Urban is the only one of these actors I've seen in action.. and that would be Lord of the Rings (Eomer). Not a part I can compare to what he is undertaking as Dr McCoy. But then, before McCoy, DeForest was a, not so nice, Cowboy..so maybe it will work out.

(on a personal note: Urban seems to be a fairly handsome dude.. but he's lacking in the sexy lower lip DeForest had!)

Will I go to see this movie? Probably. But you know it will be to scrutinize the actors to see how good a job they do lol. All these actors are young... I sincerely hope that they watch and study every episode so they nail their performances, their mannerisms, their personalities. If they come close to believable as the characters of Kirk, Spokc, McCoy Scotty, Chekov, Uhura and Sulu, then maybe the movie will do good.


11.07.2007
ACTION! Cameras Roll on "Star Trek" Movie Rebirth

Production officially starts today on the eleventh movie in the Star Trek franchise, but the first to be directed by J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot productionteam. This is also the first movie to "re-imagine" a priorStar Trek, casting new people in roles defined by actors from the Original Series. In many ways, this Star Trek gives birth to a new era, one not defined completely by past production teams, sensibilities or casts (save Leonard Nimoy, of course!). The film is in new hands, ones trusted by the studio and, judging by the buzz, the fans.


You can read more here.


I'll end this post with a line from one of DeForest's Trek Poems:

.."Star Trek lives, ... it will not die...

.. and you the fans, ... are the reason why."


7 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I totally agree with you! I have to say I am cringing about this movie. I am not a Trekkie either, persay, there is a lot of things that I do not know about the shows (and I was never a HUGE OS fan), but I do find myself wondering if they can pull it off. As a Canadian, I am sooo sick of William Shatner. haha. He has commercials, and guest appearances, and other fun things that are hard on my poor head. So, no Shatner might not be a bad thing! (Although I hear they are trying to find a place for him). Personally, I am worried about this latest idea. I feel that if they wanted to make more movies there were other things to play with. Prequels do not work so well for ST overall... just look at Enterprise! But, yes, I will watch it and mostly just to see if they can do these characters justice!

1:52 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kailana: I'm not a shatner "fan" but I do like Boston Legal. It's hard for those who are young like yourself to relate to the Original Trek... you had to be at least old enough to enjoy the Movies.. but even then the character were long ago given their life and everything followed.
Actually, I liked Enterprise! It shocked me that I did but since they weren't trying to 'be' the originals but show how they may have come about.. it was good. I'd rather they bring back Enterprise than do this movie! lol.. but it's already moving along. part of me hopes it takes off...Trek gave many things to many people, which is why it lasted so long... so I guess we wait and see.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I know a few people who are just dying to see this but I've never seen a single episode of the original so I probably won't start now. It just doesn't seem like something I would like.

4:03 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It seems to me the ONLY possible kind of other Star Trek film, (Or any beloved series of films)they COULD make would be a Pre-Quel....It will be difficult enough for the fans to accept ALL the new actors in the roles so identified with the originals, but making them younger and :before" helps, somewhat....I was not a Star Trek fan...and have no feelings one way or the other, except what I just stated above.

On a slightly different angle:
I do not understand why many remkes are made of classic films. The originals cannot be improved upon and they shouldn't evn try. There are so very many talented writers around---create NEW classics, please!!! LOL!

12:46 PM  
Blogger MartyAnn said...

I hope they pull this off. For their sakes. Any way, here is a somwehat blury pic of the "Spock":
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3698&Itemid=99
Wiomma Ryder (Little Women) is going to be his mother Amanda.
Well, thanks for telling us your thoughts on this. :)

5:47 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

This is a great side by side, I liked it. George Takei cracks me up, I would have liked to have seen him involved in this project in someway.

Great post!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I pretty much consider anyone who likes Star Trek and attends at least one convention, not to mention has autographs, to be a Trekkie. I certainly consider myself one even though I am not in that level of uberfandom that you describe. As such I have to say I am not thrilled about a prequel. I am and always will be a fan of the original above all the other shows, eventhough I enjoy the others, and I hate to see other people playing those characters. Now I will be the first to admit that I will see this opening weekend and will admit my mistake if it turns out to be an amazing film, but I don't have high hopes at all. The casting seems fine, I'm not sure I would be pleased with any of the casting. I enjoy many of the actors chosen, but they still aren't the original folks who made these characters into the icons that they are. So again, I think it is a terrible idea. I hope I am proven wrong.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home