My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, December 07, 2007

Holmes,... Sherlock Holmes

I got to thinking, after I read Hound of the Baskervilles.. when didn't I remember seeing Sherlock Homes movies?

The answer was simple.. never! In fact on IMDb I see where they are going to make yet another Holmes movie to come out in 2010!

Anyway, I went in search of some photo's to prove my point that there should be no one around who hasn't heard of Sherlock Holmes! This is what I found:

As for photo's the first I came across was the one above.. 1932. I'm happy to report that this movie was actually made BEFORE I was born! (a rarity indeed!)

Then from abut 1939 through the 40's Basil Rathbone played the sleuth. (my personal favorite)

I didn't find a photo from the 50's but I have no doubt someone played him then too! Peter Cushing did a movie or two as Holmes in the 60's. (another excellent choice)

I have to admit that I missed this one.. love John Cleese, but not sure if I'd like him as Holmes.

Missed this one too! Geez.. oh, now I remember.. I was still busy with teenagers at home! heh.

Jeremy Brett was another popular Holmes.

Not to let anyone forget Holmes even Star Trek got into the act when in one episode "Data" got to portray Holmes with LeVar getting to play Watson.

Below is a piece of news, that I didn't know, that brings us right up to date...

The creator of House actually based his character of House on Sherlock Holmes!

I know the photo is hard to read so let me at least tell you what a few say..

Inspiration:

Holmes is famously modeled on a brilliant doctor and teacher Joseph Bell, who could "walk into a waiting room and diagnose people without speaking to them."... just like House does.


Friend:

Holmes had Dr Watson. House's best, and possibly only friend is Dr Wilson.


The Method:

House's dictum that "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" also sum's up House's approach to medical mysteries.


Therefore, given all of these facts, I deduce that Sherlock Holmes will live on for a very long time yet!

7 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

Wow, the House/Holmes connection is very interesting. I never would have guessed and yet it all seems so obvious once it it pointed out to you!

I have some old radio dramas of Sherlock Holmes on cassette with Basil Rathbone doing the voice of Holmes. They are great fun.

11:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: the dialogue for Holmes is almost comical when you hear his voice.. everything is "so obvious" and "so positive that he's right" lol.. but I love Rathbone in that part

11:49 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I remember reading that about House before now that you brought it up. Like Carl said, it seems so obvious once you hear it. (One of the very few shows I watch.)

12:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: yeah I watch it too, but never thought about that premise.. not the brightest bulb in the pack here lol

1:46 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I've recommended these before elsewhere, but if you like Holmes you should read the first 4 volumes of the Irene Adler series by Carole Nelson Douglas. They have been relaunched and remamed, but at one time they were: Good Morning, Mr. Holmes, Good Night, Irene, Irene at Large, and Irene's Last Waltz. I love these tremendously. I'm not a fan of the sequels that came several years after these as I don't like what she has done with the character.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I thought that House/Holmes explanation was very cool. I enjoy that show and had never made the connection. Now it seems so obvious, so......so.......what's the word I'm looking for......ah! Elementary!

6:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: I'll keep them in mind.. for now I have a Huge book of Doyle's holmes stories and 2 Mary Russells to get through lol

Chris: hmm, do I look like Watson to you? ppllsst! lol

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home