My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Old is Still Good!

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Book Jungle (July 20, 2007)
ISBN-10: 1594629935

This book came as a bit of a surprise to me. I bought this particular version because of the cover.. I liked having the picture of Conan Doyle on it. Anyway.. the surprise came when I opened it.. no where on Amazon.com did it say it was large print..and it was! So although the page count was 256 pages it was more like half of that because so little was on each page. I will say it was nice and relaxing though lol..

I loved this book. I've seen the old Holmes movies all my life, with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, and have always loved them. But I can't say I ever even gave a thought to reading the books. Maybe because I saw the movies so many times over my lifetime. So... as the saying goes, when I read The Moor by Laurie R King, which contains "Mrs Holmes", and found myself hearing Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce's voices and enjoying it, I decided to pick my favorite Holmes story and read it.

It was fabulous! Of course, like the King books, I heard their voices throughout the reading. In fact, I think I "saw" them too! Well, ya know.. in my minds eye.

If I can recall the movie (since it hasn't aired in quite some time) they were "dead on" with the movie, which is probably very unusual since all movie makers have creative license to change things in a movie version. The only thing missing was that, for whatever reason, I didn't "see" the gorgeous Richard Greene as Sir Henry Baskerville. That, I am sure, is from the lack of seeing the movie in a long time, because Richard Greene is definitely someone I enjoy seeing!

(I couldn't find a photo or him as Henry Baskerville, but when I saw this, from when he played in The Adventures of Robin Hood.. woohoo! He's too good an eye candy not to show it!)

Anyway, I digress, I can't even imagine anyone not knowing the story of the Hound of the Baskervilles, but just in case: Henry Baskerville becomes heir to Baskerville Hall. For generations there has been a curse on the Baskervilles that a huge black dog that lives in the moors killed a Baskerville years and years ago and the ghost haunts any Baskerville who lives in the Hall, and horribly kills them.

In comes Sherlock Holmes and Watson... (taa daa) Sherlock uses his natural abilities, with the help of Watson, to deduce clues and come to the bottom of the mystery.

Just in case someone really doesn't know the story I don't want to give it away, so I'll just say that if you like mysteries, and haven't read this one, I think you'd enjoy it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

Well, I don't know the story. I may have read it at one point but I certainly don't remember it. I've read a few Holmes stories and really enjoyed them. A few years ago Mary bought me a nice old copy of the collected stories. I really need to get to them again. Love the picture of Sir Arthur on your book, it is great. Maybe I should go for that look with my facial hair!

3:05 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I always loved those films, too, Pat...Even though I know the newer ones made in England were really more accurate in ALL ways....I guess the Rathbone/Bruce ones, being from my childhood stayed with me more....! How great that your Book was LARGE PRINT! I would like that, a lot! (lol)

3:12 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: Hound of the Baskervilles isn't a long story.. 2 sittings at most! Read it! lol

Naomi: I actually enjoyed the large print LOL.. but generally books that come out in larger print cost more! This one wasn't advertised as "large print" so I was surprised.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I can recommend the short story selection, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which I'm about halfway through at the moment. I've also ordered the first two Mary Russell books and can't wait to read those.

Over here if someone mentions the old Robin Hood with Richard Greene, and you're over a certain age (ahem), you have to break into the theme tune ('Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen...') Which causes people to look at you like you're nuts...

7:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: LOL LOL! OMG! I didn't even remember the song! hahaha.. of course no one makes a better Robin Hood than Flynn did for the movie, but ..Richard Greene was certainly eye relaxing ! haha

7:10 PM  
Blogger Nymeth said...

I loved this book too! After reading it, I picked up "A Study in Scarlet", which is also good, but not quite as good (mostly because it doesn't give you a chance to figure out the solution to the mystery yourself). I really want to read more Sherlock Holmes.

2:09 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: since it is an old (OLD) movie favorite of mine I had no doubt i'd enjoy the read.. I have Rebecca in my tbr pile for the same reason. (plus a HUGE book with many holmes stories and 2 more Laurie King / holmes books!)

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home