My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Being Bugged...

Every once in a while I let this bug me....

Only the elderly (*sigh) will recognize the above TVGuide Channel Guide.

When I was young (I'm surprised the guide isn't carved in stone!) we had 7, that's SEVEN, channels on television. I bet many of you never knew television when it was like that! Nor did you ever know a time when television was FREE! Well, not the television itself, but the channels we had and what we watched was FREE!

I have to admit it... I'm still wondering how Free TV was allowed to be taken from us.

Yes, I know the progression of the television sets, yes I understand cable, and the fact that for a long long time, people were allowed to have cable or stay with those few free channels.

So.. it makes me wonder.

If we are being FORCED into the new progression of both television and cable/ satellite, why are we denied the few free channels? Shouldn't the cable/ satellite people offer as their bottom of the line "offerings" the chance to have just those few channels for FREE and not have to take the other 200 channels???

I don't know about you, but in the house I live in, they have cable. David pays a small fortune to have it. Now he pays more for a little box because his TV is analog. So, now he will be FORCED to buy another new television for the new HDTV.

And still with having to do all of that... he's not offered that small amount of channels for free rather than have all those other channels. Oh, more than likely he would get those other channels.. but that's because he can afford it... many people CAN'T afford to have that extra (rather large) bill along with mortgages/rent and feeding a family.

I guess this was on my mind because over the weekend I found a numberof times, that with all the channels on the television, there was "nothing I wanted to watch". I know this happens to my brother and David too.. and so, when this happens (and it does happen quite often) it means he's paying a lot of money to "not watch television".

Now, of course, when it was free.. this didn't matter!

And so I wonder..

How is it they (whoever "they" are) were ALLOWED to take away those Free channels?

.... and why is it that since they HAVE BEEN taken from us, someone else hasn't found a way to give us some Free TV?

But, of course, if someone does find a way..they probably wouldn't be ALLOWED to give it to us!

I really feel manipulated... and I don't care for that feeling at all.

15 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

When I was a kid I would have been jealous of you, because we only had 4 channels!

I guess I never really thought about the injustice of paying for network television though, because by the time I was really out on my own, there was cable and paying for it was just a fact of life.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

The joys of capitalism and free enterprise!!!

I've seen some commercials that are mentioning some sort of discount or something if you have an analog television. In case you haven't seen them I'll try to pay more attention the next time I see one and will get you the info.

1:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: 4 or 7 they were still FREE!

Carl: did you really say FREE enterprise?@ argh!!!! David is aware of what he'll have to do..so far the box works he actually has a few years before that will stop working.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Hey I remember having only the 7 free channels and I'm only 21! My grandma refused to get cable and since I stayed at her house a lot I watched a ton of Sesame Street and other related kids programs growing up.

2:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: Ahhh good for Grandma! But if she's still doing that she won't have TV much longer. I believe I read that by next year all "airwaves" for the old tv / antennea will be shut down. gone. zip. zilch. zero. And that's just plain NOT RIGHT!

2:57 PM  
Blogger cj said...

Doesn't it have something to do with reassigning the frequencies that TV now broadcasts on? I'm not sure I completely understand the whole digital thing but you've got a very good point. Why do we simply allow 'them' to railroad us into accepting things we don't want, need, or like?

I could go on about this but won't. It's one of my pet peeves.

cjh

4:00 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

CJ: yeah well I'm not sure how it all works either but.. what I don't get is why one has to stop. Obviously cable/ satellite/ and however the old tvs and antennaes work all work. Key word is ALL work. So why do they have to shut down the one for the old tvs??? It's not like they are loosing money.. those folks who keep the old tv 7 channel deal aren't about to afford new digital tvs and the bills to go along with cable or satellite.

4:05 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

It certainly is a problem, Pat...But, believe it or not, I know someone who doesn't have cable or a dish, and SHE is still getting the FREE Channels...So, in point of fact, they didn't "take away" our free channels, they just gave us a lot more EXPENSIVE Options, which include ALL those 200 or so channels that I TOO, often cannot find anything I want to watch....And on the Pay-Extra-Over-The-Basic-Cable-Channels??? It is really terrible when ALL the films are things I have seen before a million times, or, things I have absolutely no interest in...!
Because of reception problems here in The Hills, I have had cable since they first got it underground up here...And it was a Godsend, truly....The picture was fantastic next to what I had been struggling with....BUT, as time has Marched On....the cost has become outrageous! And the idea that I will have to buy a NEW TV, even if I do not need one because of HD....Well, it is terrible, to say the least. They really do have us all by 'the short hairs'.

4:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I read on the web that they will stop broadcasting the frequency for the old tv's next year. So although your friend can get those channels now..sometime next year it will all end. So my "beef", as it is, is wondering WHY they have to stop the broadcasting of that frequency when obviously it doesn't interfere with the other transmissions? Why are those with old tv's and no cable going to be FORCED to pay for cable when obviously they don't want it and most likely can't afford it.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Free television??!!

Actually, most of the stuff i watch these days comes on "free t.v." anyway.

Cable is so overrated.

Hope you had a great holiday young lady.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I remember those days...that was back when we had a black and white TV with rabbit ears and a VHF bow tie antenna. We had a rotary dial and my dad always yelled if we turned it too fast. It wore out and you had to use a pair of pliers to turn the channel changer!

6:47 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kiyotoe: emailed you.

Chris: yep.. but did you ever put tinfoil on the "rabbit ears" to help? LOL we did!

6:49 PM  
Blogger cj said...

Like I said - I think the government is re-assigning those frequencies to other uses.

And, there's a government program that will give you $40 toward a new TV or a digital convertor or something. It was on Yahoo the other day.

cjh

12:34 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: so they are saying that they have NO OTHER frequencies? NONE?! Why do I feel this is just a way to end free tv?? ..and of course the price of cable will continue to rise.. nevermind, lol.. i'm getting more upset about it !

6:35 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I held out until this past October when I moved to a house (near the airport) that an antenna doesn't work. Just got "basic" and the price is ridiculous.

Heard that my "giving in" was just slightly ahead of everyone not being given the choice...heard "free" tv will die completely in 2009.

It's just sad...

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home