My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Dragonflight

This is the first book for the Here Be Dragons Challenge:

The Dragonriders of Pern: Anne McCaffrey

Paperback: 832 pages
Publisher: Del Rey (October 12, 1988)
ISBN-10: 0345340248



The above photo is the book I am currently reading. It is a composite of Dragonflight, Dragonquest and the White Dragon. Since my old copies have turned quite rustic looking, I purchase this one so I might read the 3 novels easier. However, since this is 3 books in one I am reporting on each book individually.

Book cover to the original paperback... (note the price! $2.25!)


Dragonflight is available in new paperback as an individual book at Amazon for $11.16.

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Del Rey (July 26, 2005)
ISBN-10: 0345484266

It is also available in used hardback .. the price ranges from $98.99 all the way up to $1,295.95. (my dreams rarely come true about owning these books in hardback one day!)

Hello?!! Can you say "This book is highly regarded?" !!!

Now that I have your full attention, I guess I should tell you about my reading of Dragonflight.....

As I've mentioned, this is NOT my first reading of the Pern books, nor, I suspect, will it be my last.

First off, this book has a most wonderful cast of characters. F'lar: dragonrider of the bronze dragon Mnementh, F'nor: dragonrider of the brown dragon Canth, (both of Benden Weyr) Lessa of Ruatha, Lytol: a dragonless rider, and Robinton: the Masterharper of Pern.

It's not without it's villains! The most despicable being: Fax: Lord of the High Reaches, who usurped other holds for his own. And of course, the dreaded Thread from the Red Planet.

This first book tells the story of Lessa, who's parents were killed by Fax when she was young. She would have been killed too but she hid and waited for the day she could seek vengeance on Fax and reclaim her right to the Hold of Ruatha. Lessa's story is much more of course, it's also about how she becomes Weyrwoman in Benden and how she helps restore Benden Weyr and the other Weyr's back to their original glory, whilehelping to save Pern from the devastation of Threads when they fall from the Red Planet to incinerate all that they touch.

You will learn of the planet of Pern and witness the birth of dragons. (Trust me, that part you won't want to miss!) You begin to learn about the Dragonriders , the love of their dragons and the duty they have sworn to keep Pern safe from Threads.

It is an awesome book! Anne McCaffrey's story of Pern is not something to be missed by anyone who loves Fantasy and loves dragons! And if you don't already love dragons... you will before you finish reading The Dragonriders of Pern!

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Ok, I'm reading these :) Just can't buy them this year...yeah, we'll see how long that lasts...

2:06 PM  
Blogger Bungeegal said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, I did see the pink ones coming in February! I'm going to get two, one for me and one for a friend! Have a great Sunday!

2:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: well you mentioned on Carls blog comments using the library more! So.. now you have no excuse not to read it! hahaha

bungeegal: glad you saw the poppet.. and glad someone sent you one!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Love the covers!

That is crazy that the books are going for that much. I assume those are mint condition first edition hardcovers. Which is still pretty crazy.

1:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: actually, only the very highest price says it's in "like new" condition... many of the others say "acceptable" .. nice huh?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I imagine that is why they still have them for sale as opposed to having already sold them.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Nymeth said...

I really need to read this series!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home