My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dragonquest

Book 2 of Dragonriders of Pern


Dragonquest: by Anne McCaffrey

Paperback: 333 pages
Publisher: Del Rey (September 10, 1997)
ISBN-10: 0345419375


Original cover:

(artwork on all these books by Michael Whelan... my favorite cover is yet to come!)

If you are thinking I read this fast.. well.. maybe. This set of books never ceases to amaze me. No matter how many times I've read them, I instantly get caught up in them and once I begin I can't stop.

The book is fast paced. Don't skim because you will definitely miss something important! These are books that when you do set them down you want to pick it right up again.. "just one more chapter"..yeah right, if you believe that I have some swampland for sale!

In Dragonquest the Oldtimer's that came forward in time to fight thread give F'lar and all of Benden Weyr grief. They may have come forward, but they refuse to change with the times.

Thread is falling in irregular patterns, times have changed, and are changing, even for those who were born to the time.

Fire-Lizards are discovered and they learn they can be "impressed" like the big dragons and bond to one person.

Discoveries are made in old rooms at the Weyrs that the 'ancients' have left behind, as the History of Pern begins to unfold.

As the dragonriders try to rid Pern of th life threatening Threads, F'nor takes it upon himself (and his dragon Canth) to try to go to the Red Planet to see if Threads can be stopped at the source, ...with shocking results.

This book ends on a happy note: The birth of Ruth: The White Dragon.

Did I mention these books move right along? No dilly dallying whatsoever!

Gawd, I still love these books! It's no wonder I had to return to them!

These books are Anne McCaffrey at her very best! I highly recommend these books to anyone who loves Fantasy, and dragons!

It is nearly impossible to read The Dragonriders of Pern and come away not wanting to "impress a dragon" of your own!

5 Comments:

Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Pat...you write so lovingly about these books...I wish my interest and passion was fantasy & dragons...bur alas, not so...!

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. This "Golden Age" crap, is just that! With a capital "C"....It is most depressing...and I do what I can, particularly for H. Your sweet words encourage me to press on. Amd I thank you for that, with all my heart.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

You're doing really well with your rereads! And making me feel all nostalgic for that wonderful universe. There isn't really another one like it that I feel this way about.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

At the rate you're going, I'm guessing we're going to see Book 3's review by tomorrow, huh?

8:18 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: it matters not what the reading material is, just so long as you enjoy what you read!
You won't get any argument from me about the "so called" Golden Age! Just remember to take care of yourself in the process of helping your friends, please.

Cath: as you've read earlier on, I have a few series I am going to reread. Each of them has a special place inside me. Each contains something special that draws me back time and again. Maybe the fulfill something for us?

Debi: lol Honestly, I'm as far from a speed reader as one can get! It's just when you get books that are IMPOSSIBLE to put down, one tends to read a lot more each day than normal lol.. this is one of those type series!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I haven't read anything by Anne McCaffrey, but I know I really must!!

Great review. I can tell you really liked the book!!

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home