My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Harper Hall Book II


Book 2 of the Harper Hall Trilogy: Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey

Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Aladdin (April 1, 2003)
ISBN-10: 0689860072

(once again, no artist listed in the "old book"..

the newer book designed by: O'lanso Gabbidon)

In this book we continue finding out more and more about Menolly. Now, she is safely ensconced in Harper Hall... or is she safe?

Life in Harper Hall is lessons and many young people learning skills like making instruments, writing songs.. and of course singing. Through no fault of her own Menolly quickly finds out that the other females at Harper Hall are jealous of her, yet she cannot figure out why.

She meets a young boy named Piemur, who is a bit of a scamp running all over, knowing just about everything about everyone. He befriends Menolly, becoming her first (and only) friend.

Masterharper Robinton (I am soooo in love with this man! lol) takes Menolly under his teaching wing and is ecstatic to find out the little songs that were sent to him were written by "a girl"! This suites him just fine! But others aren't prepared for females invading male territory.

This is such a great little book. A number of times I found my eyes tearing up as Menolly realizes maybe she really does have talent, and maybe she really is good! A hard lesson to learn when before coming to Harper Hall she felt she disgraced her family because she loved music so much and felt unloved by anyone.

Menolly begins to learn many things.. not the least is which that Harpers do more than just sing and make instruments!!

Not one of the books I've been rereading has disappointed me. I still get the same feelings I had when I read them over 25 yrs ago when I read them for the first time. And I can say that this probably isn't the last time I will visit them.

Next, On to Dragondrums. (and then a separate book on MasterHarper Robinton!.. I didn't think I'd reread that one just now but.. the Harper is just too good a character not to read the book wrote just about him!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

well who's gonna win the books read competition this year? ;)

12:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

dont forget I've read these a few times before, I can read them faster than new books.. also.. they aren't big books! I have no doubt I will not surpass this past years numbers! Nor am I trying! This last trilogy are small double spaced books! (gawd how I love double spaced books! hahaha)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ack. You must STOP!! You are killing me!! I need to read some Anne McCaffrey!! I know!! Enough with all the great reviews!!

9:52 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Steph: it always amzes me that there are fantasy readers who HAVEN'T read them! lol Not only popularity, but they've been out there a long time!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home