My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Harper Hall: Book III

Harper Hall book 3: the last of the Harperhall trilogy..


Dragondrums by Anne McCaffrey

Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Aladdin (April 1, 2003)
ISBN-10: 0689860064

(old cover above: new cover below)

The third and final installment of the Harper Hall Trilogy revolves mostly around Piemur, the young man who was Menolly's first friend at Harper Hall.

Piemur was brought to Harper Hall for his fine soprano voice.. in this book he "comes of age" where his voice breaks, and he wonders what will happen to him now.

Masterharper Robinton informs him that he will work for him rather than the voice master and that he wants him to learn the drums (for sending messages) but he has to learn to keep secrets and must not let the others know he is doing things for the Masterharper.

Not the easiest task for Piemur to be secretive. He's always been in places that maybe he shouldn't be but has always known what's going on with everyone. While trying to prove himself to Robinton, his new secretive life finds him in trouble for not being the blabbermouth that he was known to be.

Although mishaps happen to Piemur he becomes a big help to Robinton, and through being at the right place at the right time even gets himself his own fire lizard. From that point on his "real adventure" begins, when while being hidden from a hold owner he is mistakenly taken to the southern continent. There he finds he can survive even in threadfall, begins raising his fire lizard Farli, and inadvertently becomes a big aid to both the MasterHarper and Benden Weyr.

I've read some reviews where people are disappointed that the third book of this trilogy was about Piemur and not all about Menolly, but not so with me. These books did indeed pick up some minor characters from the original series, but it also was about Harper Hall, and how Robinton, through the aid of Menolly, Sebell and Piemur, helped Benden Weyr. So.. for me.. not disappointment at all!

These six books, (again.. to ME) are the best of the best of Anne McCaffrey. One can read the first trilogy and end there and still enjoy Pern, and the dragons and the people who impress them.

There are yet other Pern books that will tell you how humans got to Pern and how things were many years before F'lar and Lessa had to face helping to save Pern from Threads.

I am going to read one more Pern related book which she wrote about the Masterharper of Pern, who (as if you couldn't tell) is one of my favorite characters! *grin*

These books, although they are considered sci-fi/ fantasy, are not High Fantasy.. in that there are no big wars going on and there is not a bunch of sword and sorcery. The books are very character oriented, with problems to solve and good and evil people.. and of course.. dragons!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bookfool said...

I'll have to get my mitts on one of these books, some day, just to give it a try. The fact that they're, as you say, character-oriented rather than high fantasy appeals to me. Love that older cover.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Nicole B. said...

Dragondrums is my least favorite of the three, though I still love the series. ^^

3:16 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

AS you know I do not read Fantasy books, but I love reading about them on your site, and always enjoy the Art Work! Most of the covers are really amazing!

9:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

bookfool: I've yet to meet anyone who didn't like these books.. I'm sure there must be someone, but I've never met them lol

Nicole: most who were disappointed in book 3 was because they wanted more about Menolly... I do like that these 3 books tie in so nicely with the first three.

Hi Naomi: yes, I know you don't read fantasy books lol, they aren't for everyone, they suite me! and I do love fantasy cover art!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home