My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Harper Hall Trilogy

This is my 4th book for Here be Dragons Challenge...

Dragonsong (Harper Hall Trilogy bk. 1): by Anne McCaffrey

Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: Aladdin (June 6, 2006)
ISBN-10: 141692499X



Strangely, the old book cover doesn't tell me the artist...

The newer version is designed by: O'lanso Gabbidon



So.... After Anne McCaffrey wrote her first Triogy consisting of Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon, she went on to write another small Triolgy about Harper Hall. It begins shortly before Ruth is born at Benden Weyr.

You meet Menolly in the other trilogy but these other books specifically picks out a few of the minor characters from Harper Hall and tells you their stories.

Masterharper Robinton is, of course, the head of Harper Hall. In this first book, Dragonsong, you meet Menolly before she became a Harper, when she still lived in Half-Circle Sea Hold. Her father Yanus is head of the hold and of the ships that go to sea, which is the livelihood of the hold.

Yanus ran the hold strictly and no one wasted precious time on anything but the sea and fishing, so when Menolly befriended old Petiron, the Harper assigned to the hold, she began to realize just how much she loved music, both singing and playing instruments that old Petiron taught. When he died her father forbade her "playing tunes". She was allowed to teach the younger children until a new Harper would be assigned to the Hold, but it went against everything Yanus thought right and proper.

When he caught her playing a tune she had written he beat her badly, embarrassed that a girl would do such a thing. Eventually Menolly ran away to hide in a cave by the sea.

Thus begins the story of Menolly, a runaway living outside the hold, living outside when thread would fall, ... her father would send no one to search for the girl to see if she was alive. It would be just another embarrassment to the Hold.

I don't want to tell too much more of the books as it is not a very long book (though it picks up where book one ends in book 2) Her tale is really well told (duh, it's McCaffrey!) and let's you know more about Harper Hall and the goings on of the Masterharper. If you read the first trilogy this second trilogy is a great follow up to things happening in other places at the same time you already know what's going on at the Weyrs and with the dragonriders. These books just make a great story ... even better!

(animation of a painting of Menolly and the fire lizards)


13 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

we were recently annexed into the city. I have no excuse to not get a library card now .... and check this author out.

She should hire you

10:48 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pamela: lol I hope your enjoy them if you get them from the library! I don't think Anne McCaffrey needs me! check out this link, it's a list of all she's written.. she's more than "well known!"
http://mccaffrey.srellim.org/biblioseries.htm

10:55 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

This sounds interesting, it reminds me of a book I read a while back where elves rule the world and keep humans (?) as concubines and of course one gets pregnant and it's against the rules so she runs away and dies beside a dragon (they have the power to look like rocks) who takes the child home and raises it with all the other dragons. I really liked the book but I can't for the life of me remember the title or author.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love the cover to the first copy of the book...it's a beauty :) The colors are gorgeous. I want a dragon :( The book I'm reading right now has a character who has three baby dragons with her...the first the land has seen in hundreds of years...needless to say, her story is my favorite and the one that I look most forward to when the author gets back to it :p

2:46 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: hmm, can't say I've read that one.. I hate when i can't come up with a name of a book or movie!! Drives me nuts!

Chris: whoever did that "old" cover did the covers for the next two for Harper Hall also..strange that none of them mention the artist.. I always look to see who did the covers!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I actually like both covers. I find the first one to be really interesting...for a second I thought she was playing the dragons wing! :)

Love the animatic with the dragons' wings moving.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Just curious if you've ever read the crystal singer trilogy and what your thoughts were. I realized when I was shopping the other day that the cover for the second one, Killashandra, is by Michael Whelan. Like the cover for Second Foundation, this is one that I remember from long ago that I always liked. I remember working in a bookstore in my late teens/early twenties and seeing this book all the time and finding it such an attractive image. Just curious what the books are like.

6:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Carl: (still haven't been able to get to your blog, even by the link you sent) The first cover is a bit too "busy" for me, but then the second one is "eh/ so so" I got spoiled on Whelan's covers I guess lol..

I never read the Crystal Singer.. I think because she left the dragons and it was more sci fi and not as much fantasy. I did try something else of hers that wasn't Pern related and it didn't thrill me like her pern books. Everything about these 2 trilogies I'm rereading just grabs me.. i love them! But it seems all the authors I really like, it's a certain series of books they did, and then they'd leave them behind and move on and I just didn't like anything any of them did that didn't grab me like their first series did. Guess I'm just a fussy bitch huh?! lol

7:22 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

These three books, and especially this one, are just magic. I've tried a few other series by Anne McCaffrey, Freedom's Landing is quite good for instance and the Ship Who series. And my eldest daughter has read everything she's written and loves the Crystal Singer and Acorna series. I haven't read them so can't comment. Really, I'm a huge Pern fan and that's it but will try more of her works at some stage. Oh... one good stand alone novel that I did love was Restoree.

6:05 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I'm not a sci fi fan when it comes to reading (but love sci fi movies!) ..Anne's writing went more sci fi after Pern, so I've not read her other series. I'm sure I must have tried to read one long long ago and knew I'm just not into sci fi reading to have stayed away from them. It's strange that the Harper Hall series is considered YA books where the originals, Dragonflight, Dragonquest and White Dragon are not (love scenes)..why I find it strange is that if a young person only read the Harper Hall series I wonder if they understand it properly, having not read the other books?

6:49 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Morning, Pat! (It's afternoon here though...) I used to be a huge sci fi fan and hardly ever read fantasy, but that was partly because there wasn't a lot of fantasy about when I was a teenager, just an awful lot of what is now classic sci fi. I read the Pern books when they came out but never felt the urge to read other fantasy stories until just a couple of years ago when my husband and daughter wanted me to read Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy. From there on I became a fantasy fan but still have an awful lot of catching up to do.

I think if anyone were to read the Harper Hall trilogy before the three main books they would be a bit confused. They would have to go and read the main books then to find out what Pern was actually all about. Age-wise that might make it a bit awkward. I can't remember how old my eldest was when she read them, I think we stopped censoring her reading when she about 15.

8:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: well the "so called love scenes" in the dragon books aren't very descriptive but I guess it's enough to not give the books a YA reading lol..

I don't know why I don't care for reading sci-fi.. most people enjoy both fantasy and sci-fi, I think I am the odd one lol

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the second book of the Harper Hall series 'Dragonsinger' and it has the same type of cover as the first image you showed. On the front cover of this book tho, inscribed on the side is a little artists signature (or at least I think it is -_-;) marked as '78. I'm not good at reading signatures, but I think it is inscribed - Elizabeth Malczynski? I think i am defiantly wrong on the last name but hopefully that helps? Even if you weren't looking lol ^~^

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home