My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hollywood's Loss

I just heard today that Johnny Grant passed away.

Many may not know who he is. Back in 1980, Johnny Grant was dubbed The Honorary Mayor of Hollywood by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.

I was privileged to have met Johnny a number of times, mostly at one ceremony or another in Hollywood. He presided over the Walk of Fame and introduced every celebrity that was receiving one. So, of course, I got to meet him when DeForest received his star. I also saw him during the Hand Prints at Graumen's when the crew of Star Trek put their hands in cement. And again I chatted with him when a wreath was laid at Gene Roddenberry's star at his passing.

Johnny seemed to be a really sweet and jovial person. He played host to red-carpet arrivals at the Oscars, appeared in bit parts in movies and produced the annual Hollywood Christmas Parade.

I don't think there was anyone who met him that didn't like him. I was sorry to hear of his passing. Johnny was 84 years old and died of natural causes.

Below are some photo's of Johnny presiding over DeForests Star Ceremony.. doing the work he loved to do.


(along with DeForest, the man in the lower right corner is Director Edward Dmytryk, who directed DeForest in 3 movies: Warlock/ Where Love Has Gone/ Raintree County)


Johnny loved introducing the friends of the Celebrity so that they could tell stories about them.

(De knew I'd have my camera going like mad!)

Johnny and De with some of the Star Trek people, along with Harve Bennett who helped write "The Search for Spock" movie.

Hollywood won't be the only one who will miss Johnny Grant.....

1924-2008 Rest in Peace Johnny.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. said...

I certainly did not know him or anything about him, but this is a very nice tribute to him. The pictures are great as well, more so because they are yours.

12:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: thanks carl.. I have to say, that anyone that live near Hollywood or went there regularly wound up meeting Johnny.. he was all over Hollywood! Nice man, and always a smile on his face.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I didn't know of him either but it's nice that he clearly had a long and happy life, doing what he loved. RIP indeed.

6:54 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

The end of an Era, as they say. It will be interesting to see if the way the Walk Of Dame is done, will change with his passing.
I wonder if a lot of people know that the person recieving the Star has to pay for it themselves? And it is not cheap! The ways of Hollywood!

12:54 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

WALK OF FAME....LOL, LOL...! Sorry, my finger hit the "D"...!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home