My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Nicholas Meyer

Carl, over at Stainless Steel Droppings posted about a book about time travel. When I read it I remembered a movie I really like called "Time After Time". This movie was directed by the only director I've ever met, Nicholas Meyer.

Nick wrote/ directed (or both) a number of movies I really like, Including three Star Trek Movies. While he was directing Undiscovered Country, DeForest took me, Sue Keenan and another gal on the set to see them filming a scene. While there De brought Nick Meyer over and introduced us to him.

(you can read *and have a chuckle* about when DeForest introduced me to Nick Meyer: here!)

The above photo is a favorite of mine of Nick while directing, the photo's below are from a magazine. All from Undiscovered Country.

(the next one is my ALL TIME favorite.. can't imagine why!)

Some of the other movies Nick either wrote or directed (or both) are Seven-Per-Cent Solution, Time After Time, The Day After, Sommersby, and of course the Trek movies.

I think the writer/ directors of movies don't get the publicity they deserve. (ok, Peter Jackson did the unthinkable and got the publicity) In my humble opinion, Nick is a fabulous writer and a fantastic director.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who see's how talented this man is, this is what he has in the works right now! :

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (2009) (screenplay)
The Politician's Wife (2008) (pre-production) Writer
The Hessen Affair (2008) (filming) Writer
Elegy (2008) (completed) (screenplay)

10 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Totally agree that directors don't get publicity they deserve, though I think they're getting it more and more these days...slowly...They'll definitely never be on the scale of actors though. Well, except for that Peter Jackson guy ;) and Tim Burton! He's done pretty well for himself! Hitchcock did pretty well too now that I think about it. There's a few big name directors, but aside from those few, you're right..they stay behind the camera :(

10:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: you're right there are a handful of directors everyone who goes to a lot of movies will know.. but they deserve more than they get. If you really like a movie it has a LOT to do with the director, and how HE sees the story and then makes it that way.

10:54 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

A very talented man! I think you are right about Writer-Directors not being given the same kind of kudos....Not sure why, either...!
And it may be that they sre too busy to be seeking publicity...though, many people who DON'T seek publicity get it anyway. Maybe they lead what would be considered ininteresting boring lives by the standards of the Newspapers/TV, etc....

BTWL The Coyote's are in my garden quite a bot. That is where they were when they spotted the Chickens/Turkeys....I'm frightened of what other Farm Animals will be coming to that yard! (lol)

1:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Naomi: I'm sure they don't look for the public recognition as actors might.. But more often there should be a face to go with a name for many to remember who it is... maybe there should be a small area on posters for the directors face by his name? :o)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Sommersby is one of my favorite films!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

we saw "the bucket list" this weekend. It was wonderful.

sorry - I changed the subject, but you made me think of it.

9:17 PM  
Blogger jezebelsk said...

I went back and looked at your story on how you met Nick Meyer - what a great memory to have!

Writers and directors don't get enough credit for their creations. But I do believe times are changing. More and more we hear about the writers and directors of movies and TV shows. I find myself seeking out their works and following them even more than the actors!

11:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: Mine too! love that movie!

pam: lol one thing leads to another! that's the nice thing!

jez: yes, there are directors I follow too! I think Ron Howard has come a long way and is another great director.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Ah, one of my favorite Star Trek movies ever. Just love that one. It and Wrath of Khan are just the best!

Not all writers or directors get the props they should, you are certainly correct about that. I of course bang the drum for those I follow:

Guillermo del Toro
Tim Burton
PJ, of course
Jean-Pierre Juenet
Ridley Scott

but they all the ones who make good films deserve their props.

3:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: excuse me, PJ? LOL Does Peter Jackson know he has a knickname?? lol lol

when will your blog be back????

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home