My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pat is Back

I had the tv guide channel on the television to see what's on when I came across "Pat Neal is Back!" Hello? I didn't know I had gone anywhere! Ohhhhhhhhhh, THAT Pat Neal! (hehe) the Actress!

For as long as I can remember I've been asked if I am related to Patricia Neal, the actress. Nope. Sorry to say I'm not. (Neal is the name I acquired when I married) But I have always enjoyed her movies, does that count?!

Born in Kentucky in 1926, Neal made her film debut opposite future President Ronald Reagan in "John Loves Mary" (1949). Among the dozens of memorable films in which she has starred are "The Fountainhead" with Gary Cooper (1949), "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with Michael Rennie (1951), "A Face in the Crowd" with Andy Griffith (1957), "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with Audrey Hepburn (1961) and "The Subject Was Roses" with Jack Albertson (1968).

Neal won an Oscar for best actress for her performance opposite Paul Newman in "Hud" (1963). Years earlier, she won a Tony Award for her stage performance in "Another Part of the Forest" (1947).

Married to Writer Roald Dahl (2 July 1953 - 17 November 1983) (divorced) 5 children

Probably my favorite of her movies are:

In Harm's Way (1965) .... Lt. Maggie Haynes
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) .... 2-E (Mrs. Failenson)
The Homecoming: A Christmas Story (1971) (TV) .... Olivia Walton

In Harms Way being my favorite.. It still blows me away that there was a time that studios could use so many stars all in one movie... something that couldn't be done today with the salaries the actors get!

Just take a look at some of the stars that were in In Harms Way:

John Wayne
Kirk Douglas
Patricia Neal
Tom Tryon .
Paula Prentiss
Brandon De Wilde
Jill Haworth
Dana Andrews
Stanley Holloway
Burgess Meredith
Franchot Tone
Patrick O'Neal
Carroll O'Connor
Slim Pickens
James Mitchum
George Kennedy
Bruce Cabot
Larry Hagman
Henry Fonda

Patricia Neal, now age 82 is still being sought after and getting parts in movies! How fantastic is that!?!!

I wonder if because I have the same name I could learn to act??? huh? no?! Gee, that's a surprise! heh.

10 Comments:

Blogger Nymeth said...

It is fantastic that she is still acting, yes. Not only because she has the vitality to do it at 82, but also because it means that she hasn't been cast aside like many ageing actresses that no longer fit our society's standards of beauty. I think it's sad when that happens, and it's good to see an exception!

And how interesting that she was married to Roald Dahl!

3:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: I've known for many years that she was married to Dahl which is one reason I mentioned her today.
The USA is more interested in looks than in acting ability. I give England a big "hip-hooray" for being a country that's more concerned on the acting ability than on looks or being "skinny"!!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I recognize her from Breakfast at Tiffany's but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen her in anything else. That's cool that she was married to Roald Dahl though, I bet he was an interesting person. Glad to hear she's still acting!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's so cool that she was married to Dahl! And I think you should start acting and give her a run for her money ;) You've never done any acting? I thought for sure there'd be some of that in that huge resume of yours!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I didn't think I'd seen any of her films (though I probably have) but still knew her name... then you said she was married to Roald Dahl and the penny dropped. *That's* where I'd heard of her. Did I read that he was a difficult man to be married to? I think so...

6:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: I probably wouldn't have posted this but I couldn't resist when tv guide had that "pat neal is back" lol..

Chris: oh that's just great! Two Pat Neals after the same old fart part!..gee wonder who would win?! duh!

Cath: don't quote me, but I think I read that he left her for the woman who watched their kids!..but he did sick with her thru her stroke, which they didn't think she'd live let alone act again.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

She spent much of her youth here in Knoxville, TN. She even has the Patricia Neal Rehab Center named after her. It deals primarily with stroke and brain injury rehab. I thought she might live here now, because you always see her on TV, but maybe she's just a frequent visitor.

I never associated her as an actress. We moved here in 2000 and I always thought she was just some local philanthropist. I finally figured it out after a year or two. It was one of those "lightbulb moments" - "Patricia Neal is Patricia Neal? THAT Patricia Neal?"

3:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: That says a lot about the lady! She's an excellent actress and she's lived through more than I'd want to live through! You'd better see some of her movies in case you run into her!!

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Pete said...

Pat Neal lives in NYC, and is out and about and well, indeed. And, though married to Dahl for 17 years, still calls Gary Cooper the love of her life.

11:47 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pete: hello! Wow, thanks for that information! I did read that she is still acting and for that we are all glad!! It's good she has such memories about Gary Cooper.. we all need those sort of memories!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home