My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ruth: The White Dragon

The Dragonriders of Pern: by Anne McCaffrey

Paperback: 832 pages
Publisher: Del Rey (October 12, 1988)
ISBN-10: 0345340248

(completed reading this addition )


Book 3: The White Dragon

Mass Market Paperback: 468 pages
Publisher: Del Rey (November 12, 1986)
ISBN-10: 0345341678

(cover by Michael Whelan)

Book three of the original Dragonriders of Pern series...

At the end of book 2 Ruth (the white dragon) was born and Impression was made by the Lord Holder of Ruatha, Jaxom.

In book one we learned that within moments of Jaxom's birth,his father, Fax, had been killed and his mother died in childbirth. He always remembered that his chances of survival were slim at best, and so when the little egg in Ramoth's clutch rocked frantically, trying to crack open, Jaxom jumped to it's aid and helped the little dragon be born. Impression was immediate.

This last book of the trilogy is all about Jaxom, growing up with Ruth at his side.

The runt white dragon will never survive Jaxom was told. But he did.

He isn't normal he was told. They were right. Ruth was not normal.. he was better than normal!

This is a story of becoming all you can be. Of climbing mountains and reaching the top. Toss in a coming of age story, a love story or two, adventures unthought of, of flying on dragons and going between to another where or when, and learning more of the History of Pern, and you have the third installment of The Dragonriders of Pern: The White Dragon.

Anne McCaffrey Outdid herself writing book one.

Anne McCaffrey was Fantastic writing book two.

Anne McCaffrey was Phenomenal writing book three.

There's so much more I could say, but I won't, other than the fact that through all my years of reading, these are some of the best books, best stories, best characters, I've ever read. Which is why I return to them every number of years. Just to remember how I felt the first time I opened the book and found myself in another world, surrounded by dragons!

I loved them so much, that many (MANY) years ago, after first reading them I made an embroidery of Ruth and Jaxom, from theMichael Whelan cover. Obviously I can't draw like him.. and thread doesn't do what paints do ! But I did manage to make this embroidered picture which is about 36 inches wide and 46 inches high.. and that's alotta thread! (no pun intended) Thread isn't the best at blending colors, but I did what I could. (It took me a full year to do this... every inch iscovered in thread!)


I'm not ready to leave Pern or the characters quite yet.. so I am going to read the next 3 shorter books Anne wrote about minor characters called, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums.

I envy Anne McCaffrey, for she knows every person and every dragon on Pern Personally!

8 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I think if I had to name a favourite Pern book, the White Dragon would be it. It just has everything to my mind. I love it.

And wow! Pat. Your embroidery is wonderful. As one who used to cross-stitch all the time I know how much time and effort goes into these things. Is it mixed embroidery stitches? Whatever, it's gorgeous.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

OK....quit it!! I'm going to read Anne McCaffrey this year!! You sold me!!!

By the way, you should stop by for Kaza Kingsley's Blog tour today!!

10:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath.. this whole trilogy is probably my absolute favorite..heh, go figure huh? haha

The embroidery is mostly "back stitching" except for the dragon wings. I wanted it so it could be washed if necessary and never really did "embroidery" to know a bunch of different stitches lol

Stephanie: I hope you do Steph lol all i can say is I've never met anyone who did read these books, not like them. .. they generally LOVE them!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Nicola said...

Thanks so much for these reviews! I've wanted to read these books for a very long time but never have. Thanks to you, I've just mooched the books and hope to read them soon.

I've only read one McCaffrey book in my life, Dinosaur Planet. I loved it and don't know why I never returned to her.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Nymeth said...

That embroidery is amazing!

2:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nicola: as you can see, you happen to run this Dragon Challenge at the right time for me! lol.. got the next book ready to review tomorrow! (Dragonsong) I'm not trying to rush them either! I just can't put them down once I start, every moment I'm not doing something I HAVE to do I'm reading them lol You'd think after the second reading I wouldn't be this way.. but they (to me) are THAT GOOD!

Thanks Nymeth! would you believe it's folded away in a box?! I don't have a home/ apt of my own to display it. so it's folded away

5:51 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

OMGosh! Deslily...I can't believe you made that! It's simply stunning! I've done a bit of needlework in my day, so I know what an undertaking that had to be. Absolutely incredible! I can't believe it's tucked away in a box somewhere :(

7:02 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

That is something-what you did with needle and threat.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home