My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, February 18, 2008

A Good Movie Day

On Sunday Turner Movie Classics had a day of Katharine Hepburn movies. Katharine happens to be my favorite female actress. I don't think she's ever made a movie I didn't enjoy. And I especially enjoy her old black and white movies. In total Katharine made 52 movies.

They began the day with the movie Dragon Seed. (1944) I own this movie on vhs. Not only does it have Katharine Hepburn but also another love of my heart, Turhan Bey. So, of course I watched the movie!

Also co-starring in the movie was Walter Huston.

This is the only time I can remember a movie where Katharine's makeup made her not look like the Katharine Hepburn we all know. In this movie Katharine and her "husband", Turhan Bey fight the Japanese Invasion of a small village in China.

The movie that followed is another movie I watch whenever it is on The Lion In Winter.

In this movie Katharine plays Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine. Henry the II (played by the fabulous Peter O'Toole) calls his family together to choose his successor. Which may include killing his 3 sons . (nice fellow..heh)

The third movie I watched was The African Queen. Co-starring the great Humphrey Bogart.

While watching the African Queen I immediately remembered that John Huston directed this movie and I began to think of him. This man has long been a favorite director of mine. He had presence about him and he had one of those voices that you instantly recognize.

John Huston was born in 1906 and died in 1987

Director/ Screenwriter/ Character Actor John Huston.
Father of 4 among them Angelica Huston.

John Huston's mother, Rhea Gore, was a newspaperwoman, his father was character actor, Walter Huston.

He was a tall man, 6'2" and his interest varied.

He began his adult life as a Amateur Lightweight Boxer, his trademark broken nose was the result of the endeavor.

By 1925 he married his childhood sweetheart and did his first Broadway show. Within a year he was restless and abandoned both and went to Mexico and became an officer in the cavalry. Shortly after he returned to America, tried reporting and even screen writing but then left for London and Paris to study painting and sketching.

In 1933 he returned again to America and decided to focus on his writing skills. He also married for the second time.

Warner Bros. were so Impressed they hired John to screen write and direct his first film: The Maltese Falcon (1941). By 1946 he was married for the 3rd time to actress Evelyn Keyes.

In the following years John Huston wrote (and or)/ directed such films as:
The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)
Key Largo (1948
The African Queen (1951)
The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
The Red BAdge of Courage (1951)

Moulin Rouge (1952)
Moby Dick (1956)
The unforgiven (1960)
The Misfits (1961)
Freud (1962)
The Night of the Iguana (1964)
The Bible: In the Beginning (1966) (directed and acted)

(He played Noah, and was the voice of God.. and what a commanding voice he had!)

Disgusted by Hollywood's Blacklisting he moved to Ireland and married his 4th wife ballet dancer Enrica Soma (mother of Angelica) (1950-1969). He had a 5th wife, Celest Shane, 1972-1977.

John Huston acted in 51 movies, directed 47 movies, wrote screen plays for 38 movies and was producer of 10 movies.


For many years I've had Huston's Biography: An Open Book (1980). Now that it's been brought back to mind, I may have to add this to my list of rereads! He was certainly an interesting man.. some of the movies he directed are among my all time favorites.

If I think about it.. I can still hear his voice. He's probably the only other man I can think of that could have played Gandalf and carried it off as well as Ian McKellan did.

Anyway... that's where my mind was on Sunday!

12 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

Love this post! Hepburn is one of my all time favourite actresses. I read her autobiography, Me, last year and loved it. Huston's sounds like it is good too, I'll have to keep a look out for it.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love Katharine Hepburn...The Lion in Winter is one of my favorite movies of all times. I own it on DVD and watch it at least once a year. Some of the best acting ever in that movie! And Huston most certainly would've made a good Gandalf! You're right about that one!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Great post. NOw that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen any movies with Katherine Hepburn. I really need to correct that situation! What would be your top recommendation, if you had to pick one?

1:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nicola: I've read "Me" also..long ago..she's just a marvelous actress there's no getting around it!

Chris: oh wow! we share a great actress too! How cool!!! Do you know Huston's voice??? Once you hear it you'd know why he'd have made a good Gandalf!

Kim: ONE??? JUST ONE??? Gads! That's impossible! lol.. it would all depend on the sort of movies you enjoy.. here's a few (best I could do, she did nothing that was bad!)
old black and white:
Little Women (1933) (drama/ romance)
Philadelphia Story (1940) (comedy/ romance)
Bringing up Baby (comedy/ romance 1938)

color:
The African Queen (1952.adventure/drama/romance)
Guess Who's coming to Dinner (1967. drama/romance)
The Lion in Winter (1968. drama/ history)
On Golden Pond (1981.drama/comedy)

2:55 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Katharine Hepburn is one of my favorite classic actresses! My favorite movie with her in it is Bringing Up Baby and Little Women.

5:05 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Lady: I love both of those! I'm not sure she made a movie I didn't like!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I'm convinced that you should move to Hollywood and be some kind of Historian. You'd make a bundle with your wealth of knowledge ;-)

Now don't chastise me too harshly but the only Hepburn movie I've ever seen is "On Golden Pond".

A shame right? I blame it on society ;-(

8:29 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

He certainly was a WONDERFUL Director and Writer....And such an amazing career...PLUS, his Acting, which was pretty damn good, too! ("Chintatown"....wasn't he creepy in that one?)....
I watched some of the other Tracy/Hepburn films on that day or night...or whatever it was....! (lol)

Thanks for your lovely compliment Pat. The thing is, I do not have a clue how one would go about doing a book like that or getting it published....! I wish I had a "manager" or something like that....Someone who would do whatever one has to, to present a samplingor whatever.....It makes me tired to think about it. (lol)...Maybe when I was younger, I might have had the energy for a HUGE Project like that....But, well, between my health problems and age...It just seems like a monumental undertaking that I am personally not up to...! I wish I were...but, that's life!

12:00 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kiyotoe: well where the hell have you been hiding? lol.. heck no! I try to check out information on the web when its about an actor! lol (but I have read both their biographies long ago: Hepburn's is called "ME" and Hustons is pictured but there is another book out about Him and his Family called "The Hustons".

Hi Naomi: From things I've read Huston was a bit of a womanizer, but he sure had all sorts of Talent when it came to making movies!
I know what you mean about too old and too many health problems for the book thing..but it is too bad, you have such an eye for the photo's you take and I KNOW you could write blubs for them without a problem!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I never liked "bringing up baby."
about the only Hepburn movie I don't like.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Katherine Hepburn is so great. I think my favorite of her movies has to be Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant. She is so quick witted and quirky and gorgeous in that film. She is the whole package. I can watch that movie again and again.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Gotta say, I've never been a huge Hepburn fan. (loved Audrey though). And to honest, I'm not really sure why. But I heart John Huston!!

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home