My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Trek Convention 2008

Goodness me.... I actually did a Star Trek Convention! It's been a while ! I've done 2 Elf Cons, and numerous autograph shows, but this is the first "Trek Con" that I've been to in a while.

The Main room greets me with this ....


It doesn't look like a big deal but the banners on each side are over 10 ft tall... so I guess one would say it's a Big Greeting.

As I mentioned before I left, my MAIN reason for going was some alone time. Which sounds kinda odd considering how many people are at these conventions. But alone to me, means my own room with a door that no one can just walk in.... and a bathroom I don't have to share... and... and... those gorgeous feather & down pillows!! yeeeeehawwwww~

(notice: I have a total of EIGHT, (that's 8!) feather pillows at my command!!!)

But, I dragged myself away and headed down to check out the dealers room. Honestly, this amazes me because years ago when Creations had conventions their dealers rooms were so jammed full of sellers that you would spend countless hours in them... but here and now.. there was actually very little... very little indeed...

There does always seem to be a display of Keith Birdsong's art work which really is some of the most gorgeous paintings concerning trek or space that you will ever find...


There was still the old collectors plates and models and figurines about.. I'm surprised some of them still sell...



In the main room I sat neat a gentleman who's shirt fascinated me, I had never seen it before yet he told me he bought it many years ago for something like 8.00 !! (hello? and where are you now? haha).. he also was wearing a Star Trek Tie!! Eeeeh gads, I haven't seen those in eons either!! Come to think of it.. I had one once.. I am guessing my x roomie from CA has it hidden somewhere because I sure don't have it anymore....

This next photo was purchased at their auctions.. ahhh NOOOOOOOOOO not by MEeeeeeeee! Heh... this proud beauty signed by all of the Captains was sold at half the value... a meer 700.00 ! *gulp* see, I told you it wasn't mine! But it was the lady who I sat by. Her name is Michelle and you should have seen my jaw dropping as she was bidding on it! hahahaha... I will admit... it is a gorgeous photo, and signed by all of them. Hopefully the value will increase for her.

One of the guests was Armin Shimmerman... He gave a nice talk on stage and later I added his signature to my collection. (since the guests autographs are included in my ticket).. it was the first time I had seen him and he was very nice.


Then it was Rene Auberjonois. Wow, I remember Rene from his days on "Benson" starring Robert Guillaume. Many of you are too young to remember that show, it aired from 1979-1986. Rene played a character named Clayton Runnymede Endicott III. (I have no idea where they came up with a name like that!.. then he had his long run with Trek as Odo and lately he's been on Boston Legal... he's had a varied career.




Then on Sunday came their biggest guest.. Patrick Stewart. I've seen Patrick a few times before but it's been many years. He ticked me off ! He hasn't aged a bit! Not fair! Not fair at all!



He talked a bit about doing the play in NY right now of Macbeth. Brent Spiner had been on stage the day before and mentioned that he went to see the play.. jokingly he stressed "3 hours of Patrick Stewart" with a slight groan. The next day someone told Patrick what Brent said and he laughed.

On my second round in the dealers room.. just to be sure I didn't miss anything (I didn't) I found these autographs. Now I don't buy from just anyone when I am not getting a signature "in person".. but I will give Creation credit that they check anyone selling autographs out really well before allowing them to rent a table at their conventions.. I was floored to find these at only 10.00 each! You can't buy an autograph for 10.00 anymore! So I grabbed them... it didn't hurt that I still watch reruns of Farscape when they air!

(Dominar Rygel XVI ) Jonathan Hardy
( Chiana) Gigi Edgley

(Pa'u Zotoh Zhaan) Virginia Hey

(Ka D'Argo ) Anthony Simcoe


But my biggest prize was yet to come..................

On Saturday I went to the check in desk to ask the hotel if they, by any chance, sold any of their "used" pillows. (I had heard that this was done). The woman behind they desk politely said, "no, we don't"

I was saddened.. but thanked her.

"Why did you want to know about the pillows?" she asked me before I got away.

"I love your pillows. I've stayed here before and I've tried finding them on the web to purchase and they seem to only sell them to hotels."

"Ah" she said.. "well just take them."

(hello?)

"Umm, that would be stealing. And you have my name and address AND my credit card number! I think you'd be able to find me hahaha"

"I'm the supervisor here.. you can take them.. we won't hunt you down for a few pillows."


"Ummm, that's nice, but I'd still feel as if I were stealing them, thank you just the same."

I smiled and went for a cup of coffee.... about 10 minutes later the supervisor spotted me and called me over..

"Here" she said as she lifted 3 pillows over the counter, "take these."

"Wow! you aren't kidding??!!"

"No... they are for you. No one has ever asked before.. they just stick them in their suitcase and take them"

"Really??"

"oh yeah, all the time.. you're the first person who ever asked for them...so I am making sure you get them!"




(have a look at MY FEATHER PILLOWS!!!!!) A HUGE Thank You goes out to the Crowne Plaza Hotel!!!

17 Comments:

Blogger Nymeth said...

How nice of them! And yay for big fluffy feather pillows!

It sounds like you had a fun weekend :) I'd love to go to a convention someday.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I can't tell you how happy I am about your pillows!!! Seriously..it sounds ridiculous, but I'm beaming over here about you getting pillows! Yay for you and yay for them for being so sweet :)

The convention sounds awesome. I would've been in heaven. I used to love Star Trek. I haven't watched any of the series since TNG, but I loved the original and TNG. Glad you had such a good time Pat. And great that you can add to the autograph collection!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Loved hearing about the con and seeing all the photos, Pat. Thank you so much for posting them. I've only ever been to one Trek con and it was so much fun, I'm glad you had a great time too. Hope you enjoyed the time to yourself and 'yaaaay' for your pillows. Well done you for your honesty. Very envious that you got to see Patrick Stewart!

4:13 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: truth is any time out of this house is greatly appreciated!

Hey Chris: hows m'baby boy? lol first you are gone then I am!..I had a good time at the con.. had me a margarita and some pizza and didn't need a sleeping pill !! LOL

Cath: don't be too envious.. realy envy would be if I could go to NY and see Patrick while he's doing Macbeth!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh man. That just left me in tears! How wonderfully sweet of that woman! But goodness knows you deserve them, Deslily!

This was just the most fun post all around...contagious joy, if you know what I mean.

5:19 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: It sure shocked me! I would never walk out of a room with pillows or anything more than their little tubes or shampoo and such lol..

7:22 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Wow you had a nice room! Glad you had fun and got your pillows!!!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yeah for the pillows!

1:34 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Wow! Good for you. Patrick Stewart and feather pillows,,,Who could ask for more than that?

7:41 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Ladytink: yes, the Crowne Plaza Hotels are nice! (not cheap, but nice LOL)

Lady & Michelle:

the pillows floored me.. i searched for a whole year and the brand that makes their pillows sells quantity only.. I sure never expected "free" pillows.. at best I had hoped they sold their older pillows ..and of course hoped they'd be inexpensive!..but FREE never entered my mind lol

8:15 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Sounds like you hit the jackpot with those pillows!!! (LOL)....And it is interesting that some hotels have the BEST Feather Pillows....

(BTW: A few of the pictures aren't showing up, just those little X boxes....Maybe it's my computer...)

I cannot get over the amount of money "made" at these conventions by the people who participate....AMAZING! $700. for that one Sigbed item?? WOW!

A strange ASIDE fact: Rene Aubourjenois wife used to write for LA WEEKLY here, and she was a theatre reviewer... She gave me the GREATEST Review I've ever had on a Theatre piece of mine---they were three one-acts....! I never forgot it because it was so amazing!

1:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: how nice that Rene's wife was the one to give you great reviews!!.. though I am sure you deserved it!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Heehee I'm lol at your fluffy pillows. How nice that they gave them to you!

I have never been to a Trek convention before, but it sounded like you had a great time!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

It is so fun reading about your con experiences. I miss going to Trek cons every year. I need to get back to the Tulsa one soon.

Who is too young to remember Benson? ;)

I saw Rene and Armin at the last con I went to. One followed the other and they did some overlap together and it was wonderful. Now that I've actually watched some DS9 it makes it even more fun that I've seen them in person.

Great Farscape autographs. Virginia Hey was at that last con I went to as well and I got her autograph...also before I ever watched any Farscape. She was a beautiful woman.

That is so cool about the pillows! I love hotel pillows!!!

11:48 PM  
Blogger J Scott Savage said...

What a great story! I totally understand about the pillows. I travel way too much for business and the pillows are 50% of how I choose my hotels. Hampton Inn by the way is my favorite (2 soft pillows and two firm, on each bed.)

I really need to do a Trek convention one of those days. Way back when STTNG was still on, I did an interview with Michael Okuda(sp?), who was their special effects guy, for a magzine.

They send me some really great slides of the ship, actors, publicity still etc. I still have them somewhere. Great post.

4:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kim: conventions are good places to meet folks who enjoy the same things you do!

Carl: I don't know why but in the makeup Virginia Hey (for reasons I have no clue) reminds me of Lee Merriwether! She has a beautiful signature doesnt she?!

Wow! Mr. Savage! Welcome to my world (such as it is). I know Mike Okuta!.. well, more like, I knew him..been years since I've seen or talked to him. I was introduced to Mike on the Paramount lot by A C Lyles. He showed me and others around the trek sets a number of times and he used to be at some of the convention parties... super nice guy.. and very smart!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

of course I'm in awe of the feather pillows!
But I'm also in awe of the whole thing

big sighs and eyebrow lifts and squeaking around in my old chair here.

What a funtastic trip.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home