My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

A Special Book..

I know I mentioned "favorite books" ... I read a few others who posted about their favorite books and it reminded me...

First off I have 3 books that are picture books for the movies of Lord Of the Rings.. I took them to a few conventions and managed to get a number of signatures in them.. so they are "special books".

And there is one other "special book" that I thought I'd mention... it's called:


Company of Heroes by : Harry Carey Jr.

Hardcover: 280 pages
Publisher: The Scarecrow Press, Inc. (June 1994)
ISBN-10: 0810828650

(Company of Heroes.. paperback)


I sent for this book, way back when it first came out. I had somehow found out that I could order it "autographed". Figuring I would never meet Harry Carey Jr. (though I loved him from his westerns and from Spin and Marty on the Mickey Mouse Club) I sent for it... It came with this inscription inside..

After which I wound up writing to Mr Carey about "Spin and Marty" at an autograph show... he responded with a postcard to me and showed up at the next show! So, I did get to meet him anyway!

After I read this book.. which I loved, because it not only described working conditions for when old westerns were made, but also the area.. "the valley"... San Fernando Valley, which was where I was living! It intrigued me to read how the valley was before it got so built up.

Where was I?

Oh.. right.. after I read the book...

I dropped it off at DeForest Kelley's house. As some of you know De was a friend of mine... he was also an actor... (duh)... but before he became well known as Dr McCoy, he was a bad-assed cowboy! So I thought he'd enjoy this little book...

When I got the book back this little sticky note was inside the book...

So.. between Harry Carey's signature...and then meeting him... and then De's note about the book... it sits up on my shelf as A VERY SPECIAL BOOK indeed!

p.s... this is also what lead me to purchase the book on John Ford...which I still haven't read because it's so huge!.. but I will one day! honest I will !

3 Comments:

Blogger Nymeth said...

How cool! That really is special!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Wonderful post, Pat. I used to adore the TV westerns when I was a kid and any John Wayne westerns that came on the TV too. I was not a very 'girly' sort of a girl. LOL! I'm not surprised this book is so special to you.

4:23 AM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Well that is a little treasure! I also remember HC Jr's Dad, as well....And he, too, was part of that Rep Company, before his son. I've never read this book or the Fird book, but I bet they are both very very wonderful!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home