My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

This 'n' That


Nymeth is celebrating her one year blogging anniversary.. and she is doing a book (actually 5 books) giveaway to celebrate! She's giving away some really great books so you should go check it out. (if you haven't already!)

Nymeth took the time to discuss how book blogging has changed her life in just one short year. ( I can't imagine where she got an idea like that! heh, Just because her to be read pile has gone from 6 or 7 books to 80?.. ya think? I hate to say it, but I can relate! )

I have to agree with her 100% that somehow this thing with books has turned into an obsession and I can't quite put my finger on when or how that happened either! I, personally, don't know how long I can continue buying and saving my books. But I do know, (like Nymeth) it's a heck of a ride while it's happening!!


********************************

At yet another book site: A Dribble of Ink, has posted a cute thing called: Pile O'Shame.

Pile o’ Shame Everyone’s got one.

That secret pile of novels, so very well regarded by the literary world, sitting in a dark corner of their house, sadly neglected despite assurances by so many others that “you’ve got to read them!” It’s a secret Pile ‘o Shame that haunts readers, always calling out longingly to be conquered but always growing bigger.


Like, Gee... could this really be??

Duh. Like, do bears... ummm, live in the woods?

Of course! heh. Most of it is called a TBR pile. But you have to admit, there are a few that seem to stay at the bottom of that pile and never move up the list!!

In my case I will name two books that haven't moved up the list in the past year. One seems pretty popular and is called Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Suzanna Clarke. Though I will admit I did read the first 250 some odd pages before setting it down and promising myself I'd go back to it ... it hasn't happened yet. But then that book is huge (800 pages)!!

The second one I haven't even started and is bigger than Jonathan Strange (and with smaller print, which adds to the fact I haven't started it) It's a biography on the movie maker, John Ford called Searching for John Ford by Joseph McBride. (838 pages) He made so many great movies that I've loved, such as: John Wayne in: The Quiet Man, that I know I will get to it one day.. maybe after I purchase a large magnifying glass!

So... what's in your Pile O'Shame??? huh? huh? come on, fess up!


*************************************

A Meme??..

Favorite Movie (and/ or) TV couples...


Some of my favorite movie / tv couples in no particular order.


1. Luke and Laura (General Hospital- tv) They were a "couple" when I was still in High School and I'm now 64, and they still are mentioned asa "couple" on the show! They lasted longer than many marriages!!

2. Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy (Batteries not Included/ Cocoon/ Foxfire/
To Dance With the White Dog) I could watch these two forever, both in real life and in movies!

3. Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn (Woman of the year/ Pat and Mike/ Adam's Rib/ Desk Set)

4. William Powell & Myrna Loy (the Thin Man series)

5. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz (movies and television)

6. Laurel and Hardy (Sons of the Desert/The Music Box/Another Fine Mess/Busy Bodies/County Hospital)

7. Abbott and Costello (Abbott & Costello in the Foreign Legion/ Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man

8. Hepburn and Fonda (On Golden Pond)

9. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton (Cleopatra etal)

10. Alan Rickman and Kate Winslett (Sense & Sensibility)

11. Bogart and Bacall ( Key Largo/ To Have and Have Not)

12 John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara (The Quiet Man/ McLintock/ Rio Grande)

The list could go on and on.... and on... but, now it's your turn! Who are some of YOUR favorite movie couples??

11 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I feel the same way as you and Nymeth...my book buying and wishlisting has really gone out of control since I started blogging! But it's fun, and it's not unhealthy, and only good can come out of reading so much, and I've met so many AMAZING people...so I toast to it!

As for piles of shame....my whole room is one big pile of shame! I'd have to think this one over. I have quite a few books that have been sitting on that shelf for a few years now because something else is always more interesting. I can understand your hesitation with JS&MN, but let me assure you that it is most certainly a worthy read! I adored it when I read it. Her writing is amazing and the latter half of the book is really much more quick paced and exciting. One of these days, you'll enjoy it ;)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Nymeth said...

Thanks for spreading the word about my giveaway! And it's undeniable that we are all terrible influences on one another...but we're having too much fun to stop :P

I have my "pile of shame" mixed with my other books so that its existence doesn't nag me too much...I can't say it works, though :P

Sometimes the size of a book can intimidate me and make me put off reading it...which is why I tried to include several chunkster on my challenge lists for this year. So far it's working!

3:56 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: LOL love the whole room is a pile of shame! LOL.. dang ain't it the truth though? Lol..include my room in that!

nymeth: well thanks for giving away such great books!!! I still can't believe how many books I bought and read last year, and this year (even with all the rereads) will be no better! lol sheesh..

4:03 PM  
Blogger animewookie said...

One year congratulations Nymeth, and may you have many more(:D

I don't have a pile of shame. If I can't get into a book, I find someone who can or I donate it. Before I had more books than house I used to give a book a few tries but most of the time they just sat there. There's nothing sadder than an unloved book, so I decided that someone, somewhere had to enjoy the books I didn't. Now I don't have to live with the guilt...lol

How about Fred and Ginger? Pure elegance.

7:19 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

animewookie: wow! lol, I'm surprised when anyone remembers names for old movies h ahahaha.. I expected maybe someone would pick some names like Harry and Sally (Harry met Sally)

7:57 AM  
Blogger animewookie said...

I love the old musicals. I was born and raised on them. Gene Kelly was to die for.....soooo handsome and charming.

10:04 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

anime: it's still funny to me.. you are the age of my youngest son and neither of my sons would know who Gene Kelly was lol (and he was the dancer i liked better than Fred Astaire!)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I've certainly got a pile o'shame. Jonathan Strange is in mine as well, as it the equally large tome Glass Books of the Dream Eaters. With both books I got about 250 pages in, was absolutely loving every word, and then got distracted with other books. I know in both cases it was because I was taking books to work and both were too large to carry back and forth comfortably. I feel terrible that I haven't returned to either one as I know they will be books that I adore once I finish them. Bad me. That is just a small sampling. I have books sent to me for reviews that have sat for a loooong time, etc. I am such a whim reader that I have a large pile of shame.

2:16 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl !!.. I kid you not, I wondered about that book of Glass Books of the Dream Eaters! I remember seeing it on your sidebar forever and you never mentioned it!! I guess I know why now lol.. ya never finished it!! Wasn't your book from Subteranian??

2:46 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I love the expression, 'Pile o'shame'. 8-D And, like every other book blogger I know, I have a huge one! A whole room full, like Chris. Oh dear. The trouble is, they're like children to me, I love them all and can hardly bear to part with even one. And the terrible thing is, I keep adding to them! And blogging doesn't help either because I'm so easily tempted by a good review. Oh well, I imagine there are worse weaknesses.

I am determined, absolutely determined, to read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell *one day*.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Yes I have to agree with you, I've got a pile much bigger than I can handle going on right now. And with the limits imposed by the library, I'm trying to read way too many books at the same time. Oh well.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home