My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Challenge Completed.. for the 2nd Time!


Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.


Book 5: The Journal of Curious Letters (Book One of The 13th Reality Series) by James Dashner

Hardcover: 432 pages
Publisher: Shadow Mountain (March 3, 2008)
ISBN-10: 1590388313

Illustrations: Bryan Beus

Amazon Review: Review
The 13th Reality: The Journal of Curious Letters (Shadow Mountain, 978-1-59038-831-0) accesses mind-boggling notions from quantum physics (kyoopy as Mothball calls it) and comes up with a tree called Prime Reality, with twelve branches, or alternate realties, or versions of Prime, growing off it. Master George and Mistress Jane both have instruments that make travel between the realities possible, but only one of them supports diversity. Mistress Jane believes that the world would be a much better place if it were all yellow, and she must be stopped


Well, first off I am glad to say I enjoyed this book much more than the last book I read!

Mr. Dashner has written a YA book that has the possibilities of continuing on for more than just a trilogy and I think he will get a good audience for this book and others that follow.

The main protagonist name is Atticus Higginbottom, but he likes to be called Tick. Right off the bat I loved this name lol. I believe Mr. Dashner gave some serious thought to the characters names in his book, and this impressed me!

I don't want to tell much about the story except to say it begins with mysterious letters, that you get to try to figure out before Tick does, so there's plenty of mystery afoot! Then, because Mr. Dashner must be a very nice fellow, he gives you the adventure that follows the mysteries!! (you have no idea how I thought and dreaded that he might leave me hanging! ) I must thank Mr Dashner for not leaving me hanging !

The 13th Reality could be a stand alone book! (how's that for a miracle!) But.... (you knew there would be that didn't you?)...but, he has a lot of potential for Tick to have many adventures, and if you like the character, (and you probably will) you are going to look forward to the next installment!

All of that and you even get some illustrations in the book! Gosh how I love that publishers really "dress up" YA books! (and how I wish they'd do that for adult books too!!!) Bryan Beus did the cover art along with the full page illustrations throughout the book.

(sample)

I learned of Mr Dashner through my reading J. Scott Savage's blog. You should check them both out and then get ready to read some YA books!

This completes Quest the First, for the second time!... I will give a go at completing it yet one more time before the Challenge ends!! (I bet you'd never guess that Fantasy/ Fiction is my favorite reading..heh.. didn't think so :o) )

8 Comments:

Blogger Darla D said...

That sounds like a great book! Thanks for the review.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

I think you'll manage to complete Quest the First at least twice more, maybe three times, at the rate you're going!

12:33 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Darla: if you line YA books this is one of the good ones!

Debi: cha! I was on a good roll lol dunno how much longer it will keep up hahaha

1:26 PM  
Blogger Nymeth said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge! Again :P

This sounds like a great book! One more for the good old wishlist.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

NO! You? Like Fantasy? lol...Awesome...I'm so glad you liked this book Pat! I can rest assured that I'll like it too now ;) I thought that I would, but I wanted to see what you would think first. I completely agree with you that more adult fantasy books should have illustrations. I've always thought that.

3:03 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: amazing how our lists grow during carl's challenge LOL LOL..

Chris: we both know there's not much that you DON'T like! lol.. I love that about you!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge twice! That's pretty nifty. :-)

6:54 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I need to read this. I've heard so many good things about it and it's just sitting on my shelf...

I'm reading Fablehaven 3 right now. I like it better than the first (haven't read the second) so I think you'd really like it...

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home