My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

A Contest and a Meme

There's something going on over at Laurie R Kings website that I thought some of you might be interested in.

First off, Laurie is the author of many books.. not the least of which is a series of books starring Mary Russell (Sherlock Holmes' wife)! (Excellent books!!).

If you are a fan of these books, or any of Laurie R King's books, and happen to love your local library, you would be very interested in a contest she is having to donate some of her books to the library of your choice.. here's the basic's:

In a celebration of National Library Week in mid-April, the Laurie R. King web site is giving away--to libraries--fifteen sets of the gorgeous Picador trade paperback editions of the first four novels in her Mary Russell series: The Beekeeper's Apprentice (included in the 100 favorite mysteries of the 20th century by the IMBA), A Monstrous Regiment of Women, A Letter of Mary, and The Moor. Readers of Laurie's blog and Virtual Book Club are being urged to nominate libraries, but there's no reason libraries can't nominate themselves.

And here are the books involved...

Anyone interested should send their favorite library's name and address to info@laurierking.com with the subject: Libraries. The deadline for entering is April 15 at midnight, Pacific time, and the drawing will be conducted the next day.

I think it's pretty neat that you can do something for your local library like this.. so why not hop over and nominate your own library!

(this is not restricted to only the US. ! so nominate away!)

... and if you approve of this way to help your library, don't be afraid to do your own post so that others might get into the contest to help their own library!

*********************************************************

**********************************************************

I found this meme going on over at Pamela's and thought y'all could maybe enjoy it too....

Think back..

Think Wa-a-a-ay back...

Remember when you were very young (teenager actually) and had a crush or two on a celebrity?

You know, the one you fancied from that band, or that movie or tv show.

Did you have their pictures on your wall or in your locker?

Did you dress like them, style or color your hair like them, follow them, meet them, marry them? (It could happen.)

Post about them, add Photos of them and photos of you from back then!

Ok.. so I do remember a few single record covers and pictures from "movie magazines" on my wall when I was... well.. rather young. (at my age it's a chore to try and remember this stuff!)

One, who's picture was on my wall on a record cover was Frankie Avalon..


Of course that meant I wound up watching those (not so great) Beach movie just to see him! (shaking head: I can't believe it!)

Television gave me the Mickey Mouse club (with Bobby Burgess, he was my favorite mouseketeer!), but mostly it gave me David Stollary ! The rich, red-headed kid of Spin and Marty fame. (though he did make a number of movies when he was even younger!)

Around these years, in the movies, was a young Tab Hunter.. hello?! What a cutie!! He managed to do a little of all of it.. he sang (not the greatest lol).. made movies, and hit all the teen magazines!

Then there was the the handsome guy with the cleft in his chin... Stephen Boyd. (woof!) I hadn't found him for very long when he died of a heart at the young age of 47.

But I think my biggest crush of all happened when Ali Baba and the Fourty Thieves made it to television in my home!..

Turhan Bey!.. oh yeah! I was going to grow up and marry him! And he would protect and love me the way he protected Maria Montez in Ali Baba!!.. yeah right sure! LOL.. hey.. no one said I could dream!

I am betting you all had your share of celebrity crushes! and I'm betting you guys had your share of "bathing beauty pictures" hanging on your walls too!.. how about sharing them ??

9 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

absolutely TAB HUNTER. He slipped my mind! He was worthy.. ha ha... of every young woman's crush for sURE!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Growing up, I had a crush on Gardiner McKay from Adventures in Paradise. I googled him and found out that he was a writer after his acting career.

I wish TVLand would put some of those old shows on late night. I'd watch 'em!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I loved James Marsters, Skeet Ulrich, Matthew Lillard, Seth Green, and quite a few others.

2:48 PM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Dean Martin, oh how I loved Dean Martin.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

What a fun post! My first crush was on Mark Shera. I swore for years I was going to become a S.W.A.T. cop because of him!

Ladytink--I've got a crush on Skeet Ulrich to this day :)

6:37 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

The grandaughter goes home tomorrow so I may well do a 'my crushes' post of my own tomorrow or over the weekend. It's quite a long list...

6:41 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Pam! lol.. yeah Tab Hunter hit all the movie mags way back when lol..

Anne: wow.. I do remember Adventures in Paridise!! woohoo!

Anime: can't blame you there!

debi: I bet you can "swat" with the best of them! hehehe

Cath: Good girl Cath! I think it's a neat thing to post! Brings back a lot of memories!

I'm surprised no guys are doing this.. I remember an awful lot of "female" pictures up in the guys lockers at school ! You can't tell me they didn't have their crushes too!

6:47 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I just saw this "Crush" thingy on someone elses blog for the first time---She said a lot of people were doing it...!
I realized that hardly anyone would know my crushes unless they watch TCM or FCM...LOL!
John Payne, and John Garfield! Just to name two....!

3:26 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: gosh.. unfortunately I DO know who John Payne and John Garfield are!! ack! hahahaha

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home