My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, April 18, 2008

A Few Things...

Just a few things...

I've been given another award!!

Chris has given me a Blogging Gold Card Award :)


Awwwwww, thanks Chris!! "Blogging friends Forever".. way cool!!

Chris passed it on to others when he was awarded the card and I'd do the same thing except that everyone I think to give it to already has it!!. Oh ! And Chris... when you finally go to England , stuff mom2 into a overlarge suitcase so I can go too! lol

There was one exception (isn't there always one exception?) I'd even love to meet her if I ever DID get to England.. (but please, no holding your breath and passing out!)

Cath from Read_Warbler. Cath does a lot of great reviews and I love seeing the book covers from across the pond! Quite often the English covers make me jealous that they have them and we don't!

Another thing...

I was listening to the news and heard about a 5.4 earthquake: From AOL news...

Rare, Large Earthquake Hits Midwest


A 5.4 earthquake rocks parts of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio and Wisconsin. There are no early reports of injuries or significant damage from the early morning quake, which could be equal to strongest ever recorded for the area


I have to tell you.. since I heard this my stomach has been doing flip flops. As some of you know I was at the epicenter of a 6.7 quake in Ca. .. it was not a fun experience. I was thrown across the bedroom where I was asleep. Later outside I watched blacktop roads make "waves" much as the ocean water does during after shocks.. I even went for some therapy later on.. but found those there were worse off than I was!

I do know one thing.. I have an overly healthy FEAR of being in another quake! I WOULD NOT want to be in the house I am living in if one ever hits here! One reason is it's a very old house with a poor foundation... and the other is that, having lived in a state after a quake, the one thing you don't want is anything higher than your head that is not locked down so tight that a quake can't move it... they become flying objects.

My stomach remains churning.

Unfortunately I've lived long enough and in a number of different area's (Jersey, Florida, & California) to know that there is no true "safe place". Having said that I also feel that "nature" has gotten extremely more violent the past number of years, and it makes me wonder why. (not that I'll ever have any answers) But it is scary. And it gets more so by being "alone" and getting old when you may well need help to survive some of the things "nature" is throwing at us.... maybe this is why I am not a big lover of scary movies and books... there's more than enough things in real life to be scared of ! Ok.. I had to talk about it... and I did.. so that's that.

The last thing I will mention is a little happier (begin good and end good and put the "troubles" in the middle!)..

On may 3rd and 4th is the Chiller autograph show. I am looking forward to this one, but then I generally always do!

I get to see Ken Kelly and Roger Kastel and spend time with them, which is always a joy. Not only are they highly talented in their art work but super nice folks to know.

The surprise (for me) in this show is that Ernest Borgnine will be there!! Most who remember that name at all, will remember him from McHales Navy.


But I remember a number of his movies. His first BIG one was called Marty.

Aside (if I even dare use that word) from the fact that Mr Borgnine was in 192 movies and TV shows, most remember him from from McHales Navy (1962-1966) and Airwolf (1984-1986) , two very good tv shows.

But the best part is that Mr Borgnine is still working!... If that's not surprising, than how about the fact that he turned 90 yrs old this past January!!!

Lookin' Great Mr. Borgnine!!!

I can't wait to meet him!!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

some things about earthquakes etc.
I can't help but think that we are just more aware of many of these things because of our instant communications and population increases.


I'm glad you spotlighted Borgnine. I've so enjoyed his acting and his high ideals.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm going to add Cath to my google reader right now! I really enjoy her blog, but I'm horrible about updating my links, so I've never become a regular reader. But she's there now! I love the British covers too. I know exactly what you mean!! If I could afford it, I would send for the British copies just for the covers.

Luckily I've never had to live through an earthquake but they sound terrifying. The hurricanes that I've been through are bad enough. Mother Nature has gotten a bit active over the years huh?

And how cool that you get to meet Mr. Borgnine! And see some of your old friends :) Another one to add to the book!

2:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Pam... it's true we hear more about disasters..but I also believe things are worse than they used to be..
Yes, I've always liked Borgnine too~

Chris: oh y eah a quake can do nasty things to you if you have never been in one. Like: Terra Firma.. nada! and your house is safety.. nada! get the heck out before it falls on you! But those raised in quake country don't think much of it. I didn't like after that one i lived through having to bolt my furniture to walls and such.. can't own anything breakable unless you can afford to replace it all etc.. but if you can learn to live on the "verge" then it's not a big problem.

yeah can't wait to see Mr Borgnine!! he looks fantastic for 90!!!!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Pat, what a lovely compliment, thank you *so* much. I'm chuffed to bits to receive an award, especially from such a lovely person as yourself. You're absolutely my favourite blogging person and yours is always the first blog I go to when I come to Blogspot. Thank you again. :-) And don't worry - I'm determined that we shall meet one day.

Earthquakes? I thought we didn't get them in the UK but it seems we're starting to now, which is a bit scary. I can well understand how frightening it must be to experience a really bad one. Now I need to go check with my friend in Columbus, Ohio that she's okay...

5:56 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

That is so great! I am really excited for you. I can't see him without thinking of his role in Blade Runner. I can hear him saying Snake Plisskin's name now.

6:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: you're welcome! I enjoy your blog and enjoy getting to know you!

Carl: Blade Runner???? I looked the movie and credits up and didn't see Ernest Borgnine.. you sure you mean Blade Runner?? lol

6:36 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I'm with you on the scary movies and the Horror films, too...There is MORE than enough bad NAD stuff that we live with day to day...So I am NOT a fan of these kinds of films!
CONGRATS on your Award, Pat...Well Deserved!
I know what you mean about the Earthquakes.....And I don't blame you for feeling as you do. They can be really horrific and what you experienced sounds very very traumatic!

4:54 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ernest Borgnine! I love him in the old version of the Poseidon Adventure! The very first movie I ever saw in the theatres! I really enjoy him, so please say hi for all of us when you meet him!

We get earthquakes here in the Ottawa Valley. A fault line runs up the Champlain valley (upper New York State) and into Montreal, and then up the St Lawrence seaway. We had one two years ago, it was strong enough to make the glasses on the shelves in my friend's basement rattle, and it sounded like a very heavy truck going by (that never seemed to go!) Although it registered 4 on the Richter scale there was no damage done anywhere in the city. I think I am much more afraid of other things like bad drivers than earthquakes.....but I do sympathize, Pat. And sorry, i hope reading about this is ok for you!

Thanks for all your fairy tale reviews, and your comments on horror reading in one of your earlier posts - you are right, many people won't read anything in that genre. I'm not sure why I enjoy a good ghost story, I just do. I love fantasy and fairy tales,and now you've made me really want to read the Wood Wife!!!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

I can imagine that living through an earthquake would give you a strong desire not to experience it again. I have never been through one, but when I heard that there was an earthquake in the midwest, I could hardly believe it. You would think that that is the safest place from earthquakes. It is kind of a freaky feeling that a natural disaster can happen anywhere.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home