My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, April 21, 2008

The Monday Blahs

Amazon is highest bidder for JK Rowling's "The Tales of Beedle the Bard"...



see photo's here.


As much as I love Amazon for all the books I buy from them, it bothers me why they would buy this book when they are not allowed to reproduce it..


yes, its great the money paid for it goes to charity!


But something about it just doesn't sit right with me, and I'm not sure what it is. Wouldn't this have made even MORE MONEY FOR CHARITY, if the deal was whoever won it could duplicate it in paperback, with THOSE PROCEEDS ALSO GOING TO CHARITY?? ......... Just a thought mind you.


I've also read something disturbing about Amazon and the self published authors who print on demand.. that if you want it listed and sold at Amazon you would have to use THEIR self publishing and no one else's... again.. this doesn't bode well with me. I really don't like when freedoms (of choice) are taken away.


I have to say that another such "freedom" being taken away is, as we all know, our televisions. You HAVE TO go HD or you HAVE TO pay for a special box from cable in order to have any television at all.... this is freedom??? not.


When I'm like this I have to be careful with my reading or it overrides even a good read!... so I'll put the book down tonite.. I guess I've been in better moods huh?.. sigh* Boy, I'm glad tonight has Dancin' With the Stars! I sooooo need .. not to think!

To Maintain a Healthy Level of Insanity: Finish all your sentences with 'In Accordance With The Prophecy'.

10 Comments:

Blogger Nymeth said...

I wonder what they'll do with the book.

I didn't know about that self-publishing thing. I don't like the sound of that either :/

5:08 PM  
Blogger animewookie said...

Wow! Someone's trying to be a monopoly.

I know what you mean about the TV. Transition...or else!
It's ridiculous, that no one has a choice.

When I get in bad moods I read with a vengeance. It really helps get rid of my stress :D

6:57 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Like Nymeth I'm wondering what they plan to actually *do* with the book. Keep it for posterity? Where? Such a shame the population at large won't get to buy a copy. As you said... it would make a fortune for the charity.

Same in the UK with the TV. We're going digital next year I think, so everyone has to have a digital TV. No *choice*.

7:11 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth,Animwookie & Cath: there's a number of things going on that sounds much like a monopoly I can't see how the government lets this happen.. supposedly they are to prevent such things..heh..way to go American government!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What a horribly stupid move on JK's and Amazon's part...Why not actually publish this and donate the proceeds to charity. Uh...wouldn't this make much more sense? You could still auction off the original. So dumb. I'm right there with ya Pat.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I agree that it would have made much more sense to reproduce the book exactly as it is (it looks like a $50-$100 book) for charities than to only produce one for charity benefit. Freedom of choice is getting more and more limited these days! For example: in my apartment, I'd have to pay a lot extra to the apartment people to have a satellite and that's not including what I'd have to pay for the installation and such. It's good thing I don't watch too much TV and a lot of the shows I do watch, I can buy the episodes online.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

I would tend to think that a work like this is something that might be 'okay' and fun but probably isn't some great and amazing piece of fiction that Rowling wrote. If it isn't at least on par with the best of Harry Potter then yes, charity might make a ton of money off the book, but she would also be criticized relentlessly, accused of writing some half-assed story to get people to spend money, even if it was for a good cause.

Now maybe that isn't the case and it is the best writing she has ever done. But I doubt it. Suffice it to say that she has raised a lot of money for charity when she didn't have to raise any. She alone should not have to cover all the charitable needs out there so I play the devil's advocate here, as I am not a big fan of the woman herself, and say let's cut her some slack. She did a very nice thing and someone in the Amazon organization will have a very nice little trophy. No doubt some other collector could have outbid them at some point but they won.

As for monopolies, yep, there are a bunch of loopholes in American government, no doubt about it, but I have to say that I own more books because of the savings they give me that I would otherwise and so I guess I don't want to bite (too hard) the hand that feeds me.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh Pat - I hope you didn't misunderstand! I don't get to HAVE little Lesli come here to BE with me. (I WISH - but no!) I only get to send her money each month to help her survive! I'll exchange letters with her family, and I'm allowed to send an actual "present" at Christmas time, but that's about it! I always WANTED to sponsor a student in my home though! That would have been SO much fun! My husband would have NEVER gone for it! Maybe sooooooomeday.... LOL!
Thanks for stoppin' by!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Oh for the love, I like HP and all, but I can't stand the hype around this book. Just publish it for everyone. there are so many fans who would love to read it, but it is going to go to some rich collector. And I guarantee that someday the whole text will be online anyhow in accordance with the prophecy.

10:00 PM  
Blogger cj said...

No clue on the self-publishing thing at Amazon but I do remember reading that they intend to put Beedle on display around the country. And I figure if JKR wanted it mass produced, she could've had it mass produced. It's her work, her decision, isn't it?

Also, the TV switch isn't to HD. It's from analog to digital, which is a far better signal and frees up the air waves for emergency responders. That is the main reason for the switch. The federal government has controlled the air waves for years and it seems to me the switch is being made in the best interest of the public.

Here's a website that explains things and offers people coupons to use in the conversion:
https://www.dtv2009.gov/

cjh

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home