My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Not Every Book is a Winner


Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

Book 1: Runemarks by Joanne Harris

Hardcover: 544 pages
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers (January 8, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0375844449

Amazon Product Description

Seven o’clock on a Monday morning, five hundred years after the end of the world, and goblins had been at the cellar again. . . . Not that anyone would admit it was goblins. In Maddy Smith’s world, order rules. Chaos, old gods, fairies, goblins, magic, glamours–all of these were supposedly vanquished centuries ago. But Maddy knows that a small bit of magic has survived. The “ruinmark” she was born with on her palm proves it–and makes the other villagers fearful that she is a witch (though helpful in dealing with the goblins-in-the-cellar problem). But the mysterious traveler One-Eye sees Maddy’s mark not as a defect, but as a destiny. And Maddy will need every scrap of forbidden magic One-Eye can teach her if she is to survive that destiny.


I read this review and thought I would like the book. I mean, it had plenty of things I've enjoyed before. Old Gods, fairies, goblins, magic.. it seemed logical. When I began the book it seemed... fairly good. So of course I kept reading. Then at times I found it... boring, but I read on.

I don't know what it was about this book that wasn't grabbing me. I hope it just wasn't my mood, and in all honesty, it could have been. I read on.

I read 369 pages out of 544 and decided, I just was not enjoying this book. And I can't really pin point why.

I am going to say that the story itself just wasn't my thing I guess. But I do think others might enjoy this book. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't my thing.

There really wasn't much in the way of fairies and goblins..least not it the "classic way". Any magic surrounded Runes (which of course makes since, hence the title..duh) And like I said, I do think others will like this book.

I just decided I had given it a good shot and it was time to move on...

9 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I bought "Founding Mothers" by Cokie Roberts and am trying to find time to read it. I'm going to read it during my lunch hour at work today --
Then my next book is HRT: The answer.

not near as interesting as yours.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Well crap. I'm sorry to hear this one didn't do it for you! I've already spent the money on it, so I'm sure I'll give it a go one of these days anyway.

1:30 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pamela: It doesn't matter what we read.. as long as we enjoy it!

Debi: I wasn't a bad book! I guess it just seemed endless to me and wasn't holding my interest. I was wanting it over rather than wanting "more"... you may well enjoy it. I always feel bad when I don't totally enjoy a book and know that, hey this got PUBLISHED! There has to be good in it! But none of us are going to enjoy every book on the shelf.. I hope you enjoy it!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I've been there a couple of times already this year...There are just too many good books out there to continue reading a book that you really can't get into..that's my opinion anyway. sorry this one fell short for you...can't win them all!

1:57 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: yeah I know.. thankfully it doesn't happen often, but.. but when it does I find myself questioning myself. "Why am I not getting into this?" My mood? The writing? The subject matter? It drives me nuts, because I can't really pin it on a specific.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

So disappointing when a book sounds so good in the description and then turns out to be a dud. You think of all the things it could have been and that makes you feel even worse! Move on is the answer... so many books, so little time.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Carl V. said...

Sorry this just didn't cut it for you, especially after you gave it that many pages. Kudos to you for giving it a good try. They cannot all be winners, you are right about that.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Well...that kind of stinks. I really hate it when you have high expectations for a book, and it just doesn't pan out. It's a shame you did spend so much time on it though.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I've been in that boat. You want so much to like the book, but it just isn't happening. So, sympathies for investing so much energy into this book and wishes that the next read will be more satisfactory.

Thanks for the review, though.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home