My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cormorants

Before you even look at these photo's I apologize for the poor quality.. the pictures were taken from inside the house and most were quite far across the pond and so the quality isn't as good as normal..

Anyway..

I looked out the other day, and what to my surprise, eight tiny reindeer.. oh wait. wrong story.. there was, what I first thought was a young Anhinga.. but it turned out to be (same family) Cormorants.

(Anhingas are a tad larger, and have straight beaks.. not the shorter and hooked end to the Cormorants.)

 

.. and there were TWO of them!  (look at that snooty attitude! lol)

If I weren't so far away and IN my apt I would say the one looked to be sure someone was taking pictures!

..and yes.. like the Anhinga they swim and eat underwater!

Seeing the two together was thrilling!.. until I remembered the gator's. :o(

They are too small to try to eat these birds yet.. but they could do damage to their very large webbed feet if they wanted to.

After checking out the entire pond they both took off.. I managed to get a shot of one as he ran on top of the water!

7 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

What a GREAT shot that last one is! You are getting to be quite the wildlife photographer! I guess that shouldn't surprise me... she who plays with lions!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

I love cormorants! We have dozens of them at the city park lake (well, we used to before the lake gator ate most of them up), and I always liked watching it when they would slowly sink underwater to fish. They looked like little capsizing boats.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

That gator's gotta go!

1:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

melli : no no..no lions.. only cougars LOL.. (mountain lion LOL)

jenny: ok.. didn't need to hear the "gator" ate them up :o( *sigh*

Pam: yeah no kidding. but they won't do anything.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

The taking flight one is excellent, Pat. You do get some great shots.

6:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath : its a lot of luck too.. if he took off to the side it would have been a big blur. lol

6:19 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

I think these birds look elkegant, not snotty---lol--I guess it is all in the eye of The Beholder, as they say.
Beautiful and Elegant. LOVE that last picture, a lot, but honestly, I think they are all terrific....!

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home